Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Crappies

Cooking crappie

<< < (4/6) > >>

RyanW:
As I fillet them, I rinse them in the coldest possible water my tap provides and then put them in an ice water bath. The cold temperature firms up the fillets (especially when fresh). After they've all been filleted and bathed, I pat them completely dry with paper towels (Viva’s work great for this).

For the coating, I make a batter.
Dry ingredients:
1/2 cup flour
Salt, lemon pepper, garlic powder to taste
1 tbsp baking powder (makes them super crispy)
Wet ingredients:
Ice cold water or beer enough so the batter LIGHTLY coats the back of a spoon.

Lightly coat the fillets and pan fry until golden brown in your oil of choice. I like almond or walnut oil. Don’t overcrowd the pan. Upon removal from the pan, salt immediately and drain on a rack over paper towels. This is a great recipe for bluegill as well.

PoleJerker:

--- Quote from: Reinert on Dec 31, 2016, 07:42 AM ---Dip dry fillets in yellow or a spicy mustard yes mustard then your favorite breading and fry in hot peanut oil.perfect

--- End quote ---
Interesting might have to give it a try next fry

mdredneck:
Im all about the low carb diets so I roll the fillets in parmesan cheese then egg was and then roll them in crushed pork rinds and fry............. BEST FISH EVER!!!!!!!! 

Mr. Charlie:
In my experience they weren’t soggy but as far as  texture goes they aren’t as firm as gills and such making them seem soggy. I dredge them in seasoned flour and then into a batter I make of minced onion , flower, baking powder, and a lite beer. Lightly fry and then stage in the oven on a rack over a sheet pan, this keeps them from becoming mushy while you finish frying  the other filets.

PS IM A CHEF

captain54:
Been doing the healthier methods this winter. Pre heat over to 400 degrees. Dip fillets in egg wash then into crumbs of your choice. I brush a coating of olive oil on a cookie sheet. Lay breaded fillets on cookie sheet cook 5-6 minutes and flip them for 5 more minutes....done Taco time... tomatoes,avocado,onion,sour cheese hot sauce cheese or whatever else is in the fridge. I've been eating a lot of soft tacos,so many combos... so good easy clean up compared to the deep fryer.lol

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version