Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Bluegill

Best tips for finicky gills

<< < (4/4)

Dickbakers:
 ???wax worm or maggot. Many times it makes all the difference.

PikeKing23:
Mousie!

Iceassin:
 I'll start from the back:

3# Mono

36# wire leader spring bobber (homemade)

3mm tungsten jig (90% of the time) with barrel swivel and small split shot or
4mm tungsten with barrel swivel...no split shot. These combinations work well (sensitivity) with the spring bobbers I use.

Colors: solid gold, orange/chartreuse or wonderbread (clown works too) are my primaries. I know other colors work but these are the most successful for me.

Spikes are all I use. Usually 1...sometimes 2. And refresh often. I buy them by the thousand so I might as well use them.

But the big thing for me is presentation and this varies: 1)Pound the jig aggressively on the bottom for a few seconds then raise slowly and steadily. 2) Start jig just off bottom and jig slightly while raising (don't stop). 3) Again, starting at or near bottom raise slowly an inch or 2 while jigging subtly then pause a second or 2...repeat as necessary. I rarely find a gill that will bite a jig that stays still for very long.

Hope this helps.

HWeber:
Three years later the advice I'd give myself when I started this thread is fish for perch lol

Muggsy:

--- Quote from: HWeber on Oct 21, 2019, 01:09 PM ---Three years later the advice I'd give myself when I started this thread is fish for perch lol

--- End quote ---

That put a smile on my face!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version