Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Bluegill

Best tips for finicky gills

<< < (3/4) > >>

bassandbucks1:
I also agree with the smaller more natural/darker colors. When I have a lot of lookers and no-takers I usually switch to a hares ear nymph (added wraps of lead around it to give it a little more weight), or a black ant ice jig, or a very tiny purple rat-finkee. I also usually go from 2-3 spikes to just a single spike on the lure and cover the hook point. I also try to slowly "feather" the bait down by gently shaking the rod as it falls. But even on a normal day I also always have at least 4 rods rigged up with different bait styles on them. I'm amazed at how often I'll be catching fish on one style/color and then have the screen go dead or have more lookers than takers. Grab another rod drop the new bait down and things heat up again.

Ice Surveyor:
Use 2lb test line, and you'll get more bites.  I use PLine.

Wollypog:
sometimes I also change the size of my jig or the number of spikes, sometimes I'll go to an ice fly tied with a small amount of lead wire on the shank that sinks so slowly that it gives a more natural appearance and movement. I've also seen times where I'd be fishing with spikes and catching only small ones and switch to a bare jig and catch better gills.

Duck-Hunter:
Tough bite, I down size jig and bait. Also slow down my jigging. Flies, dark and natural colors work great. Don't be afraid to toss on one of those lead Jigs we all seem to forget about. The slow and subtle flutter those create often get then most tight lipped fish to snap

troutbum32:
Absolutely recommend trying going down in terms of line thickness (just for the tippet) then increase your hook size if that doesn't work!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version