The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Cordless drill auger  (Read 12001 times)

Offline kerosenecounty17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • kc17 - NE WI
Re: Cordless drill auger
« Reply #30 on: Mar 29, 2004, 08:13 PM »
One more note for anybody that's considering the adapters.  Forget about using it on late/last/soft ice.  I tried mine this past weekend, and the lazer digs way too hard in the soft ice.  More than the drill can handle.

kero
"An ounce of biology is worth a pound of tackle."

-Gord Pyzer

stinky

« Reply #31 on: Oct 01, 2004, 01:07 PM »
 The cordless drill concept works well if you don't try to do more than its supposed to.The concept is for early and late ice with a 5" or 6" maximun auger. For pan fish a 5" is usually fine but it will turn a 6" also. I have one and use a 19.2 volt craftsman drill and thru 10" of ice I have gotten as many as 30 holes on one battery.
  These adapters if you read the adds are for smaller holes and for the lazer or nils master auger because they cut thru the ice much easier.
Bob :) :) :)

Offline iwannabfishn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Nov 04, 2004, 11:41 PM »
anyone try to make one??? looks like an easy make

Offline Turkeyhunter10ga

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #33 on: Nov 06, 2004, 12:47 PM »
last winter i had my neighbor , owns a machine shop , here at work make me an adapter for my old mora , to a cordless drill . Almost burned up the drill , guess they dont cut like a laser.  After that , i just went and bought and electric laser , since i already have a battery in my sled for lighting.

Offline UncleFluffy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Feb 17, 2005, 02:28 PM »
I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, as I just built it this past weekend, but I changed the setup of the auger adaptor a bit.  I had this old gear/speed reducer for a drill has a 3/8" bit to attach your cordless to on one end and a 1/2" Jacobs chuck on the other.  This attaches to the homebrew adaptor and onto a 7" Mora.  The gear reducer is a 5:1 reduction, which with my Panasonic drill comes out to about 125RPM at full speed.  This means less speed and more torque.  I'll see how it goes.

Kent V.
Kent Vanderploeg

Put Them Back...Put Them All Back.

Offline Hoosier

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Bucket,some bait and,,what did she ask me to do??
« Reply #35 on: Mar 15, 2005, 07:01 PM »
I bought  one of these adpters for Saginaw Bay. Was cheaper than running out for a gas auger in feb/march. I use 2 14.4 dewalt batteries with a 6 inch strikeMaster. the more I keep the batteries at a warmer temp, the better thay work,the cold puts a bigger hurt on`em than  Anything. I seem to manage 8 to 10 holes per battery on 10 to 12 inchs of good ice.
 While at Sag. managed 4 holes each battery on 17 to 20 inchs. Cold really killed me here.
 Went to Houghton had 20 or more inchs,would get 3 holes each battery,had truck and charger at the hole so fresh as can get,
 I could see these being handy about anywhere,unless your out for a bit,with no way to charge and keep`em warm before use

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.