The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Eskimo or Jiffy, 2 hp or 3 hp, plz help  (Read 2640 times)

camo_fish

Eskimo or Jiffy, 2 hp or 3 hp, plz help
« on: Nov 03, 2003, 10:45 AM »
Looking into buying a gas auger this year. I'm unsure, getting an Eskimo or a Jiffy. But, I would like to know how they hold up and how easy parts and blades are to get for the two different augers. And is a 2 hp fine or is it nessasary to go with a 3 hp.   
Thanks for any input.

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
Re:Eskimo or Jiffy, 2 hp or 3 hp, plz help
« Reply #1 on: Nov 03, 2003, 11:33 AM »
I know you said eskimo or jiffy, but honestly - for the money you can't beat the strikemaster.  It is, hands down, the lightest, fastest, most reliable auger on the market.  Buy the regular lazermag in 8" blade - it will be the best purchase you ever make.  Mine has never let me down yet!   Oh, and 2hp is definitely enough.  You will hear guys say the their 2hp jiffy is a little slower than their 3hp jiffy - well, the 2hp strikemaster is faster than both of them.  I'm a mobile angler, always searching, drilling holes - you save so much weight with the 2hp over the 3hp, it's not even funny.  I'd stay away from the 3 bladed strikemaster though - that auger has been problematic for them.  

camo_fish

« Reply #2 on: Nov 03, 2003, 11:43 AM »
thx rich
will look into the strikemaster.

Offline nunzio

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta love a day on the ice!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 03, 2003, 01:05 PM »
camo_fish;
Just posting my .02.......
This will be my third season with my Strikemaster Lazer Mag Ultra. It's the 2hp with the 9" three bladed drill.
My first season with this machine left me a little frustrated. The company had a poor design with the drill..... it didn't cut worth a crap!!! I also had the handle brake...... leaned it on the deck and it fell over. Snapped the handle at the gear box.
I went to the dealer and had a heck of a time getting the handle replaced as well as throttle linkage problems that arose with the new handle. So when it came time to deal with the drill I went straight to the factory. Much better experience!!! I e-mail them and they called me at home with instructions on sending them my drill to them. Three weeks later they sent me a new drill (better design), extra set of blades, allen wrenches, new gas cap, safety guard rubbers.
They're treatment has made me a very satisfied customer!
The reason I went with the 9" is because I've stepped in to many of the 10" holes and the 8" is too small.
The only draw back I have with the 9" 3) blade is the cost of the blades ($50) as well as the cost to sharpen them ($30). My blades lasted me last season until I hit the edge of an old hole that had beer cans frozen inside......

camo_fish

« Reply #4 on: Nov 03, 2003, 01:19 PM »
thank u, nunzio, for your input.
then I get home from work I'm diffenitly going to check out the strikemasters. So the 9" on the market now is the better design. I'm with you on the 9" therory. thanks again.

Offline nunzio

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta love a day on the ice!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 03, 2003, 01:39 PM »
camo_fish;
The "old drills" didn't have strapping at the bottom of the drill (connecting the 3 blades together). This allowed the blades to move/flex, which made for some tough augering.. You had to push all the time and the holes looked like corkscrews (not straight). While augering you could feel it grab and it cut hurky jerky.
The new design has the strapping and if you look at the end of the drill, it doesn't look round. Cuts like a champ. I have to hold mine back, it almost pulled me into the wall of my hardside!!

I don't see the need to get a 3hp, just more weight.

camo_fish

« Reply #6 on: Nov 03, 2003, 01:46 PM »
right on, thanks again.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.