The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Transporting tip ups  (Read 3502 times)

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Transporting tip ups
« on: Jan 13, 2009, 09:20 AM »
Was wondering how people transport their tip ups? Noticed at Dicks the other day that they have bags to carry them in.
Take a kid ice fishing

Offline newbraintree

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get a Set!
Re: Transporting tip ups
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2009, 09:28 AM »
I wrap my good ones in a Bath towel
, , ,

Offline LoveShack

• IceShanty Rookie
  • My Heritage Laker is in the circle!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2009, 09:30 AM »
They also sell woven baskets in two sizes that can be worn as a back pack made by HT. They have an optional liner. I use the all mighty five gallon pail, but I have been thinking about checking out baskets. I just haven't been able to find any locally yet.
Are you afraid to catch big fish?<br />I can help!

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2009, 09:33 AM »
Right now I transport mine in a 5 gallon bucket. I put a shelf in the back of my liberty and now there is no room to stand the bucket up. My wife borrowed my car and snapped 2 of my tip ups putting sand in it.
Take a kid ice fishing

Offline newbraintree

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get a Set!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2009, 09:35 AM »
Right now I transport mine in a 5 gallon bucket. I put a shelf in the back of my liberty and now there is no room to stand the bucket up. My wife borrowed my car and snapped 2 of my tip ups putting sand in it.

I don't think that you need a new transporter.. you just need to not let your wife borrow your car!
, , ,

Offline Ice Shark

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2009, 09:36 AM »
Have a heavy duty rubbermaid tote (20"x30"x14") (got at Lowes), fits perfect in my sled, keeps things dry and room for other gear.  Screwed a piece of plywood on top for a seat and work area.

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2009, 09:39 AM »
I don't think that you need a new transporter.. you just need to not let your wife borrow your car!
I could try that, Couch can be comfy. Lol :laugh:
Take a kid ice fishing

Offline amazinmoose

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag UPPP!!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2009, 10:06 AM »
gatta go witha bucket.. cant go wrong  ;D
flag up, tightlines; fish on....   -moose

Offline FishingNewEngland

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing New England
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2009, 10:09 AM »
I have a bag. I use "cord wraps" to keep my leader straight. I use 2 straps on each trap, one near the spool and one to hold the hook in place.

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2009, 10:09 AM »

T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2009, 10:11 AM »
5 gallon bucket in an old milkcrate. gives it more stability in the sld when hauling across the ice.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline erikphillips

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2009, 12:04 PM »
i have a basket thats very similar to the ones that Dicks sells. the only problem i have is if i bend over with the pack on, everything comes falling out. lost a radio last year because of this. the only thing i like about it is you can get alot of stuff in the pack. thinking about picking up one of the bags.

Offline sounderlost

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2009, 12:14 PM »
I use a large external frame military backpack. Has lots of pockets for other gear. Can get ten tip ups in it easily and free hands for doing other things. :tipup:

Offline Smeltecca

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Never mess with another man's hole.
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2009, 04:54 PM »
I just got a Ready Rig ice pack this season and it's great - it has a compartment that fits my five 31" jacktraps, a seperate pack that attaches to the first that fits my small tackle pack, line, gloves, neck gaiter, etc., and loops on te side that hold my spoon and short chisel - $40.00 from there website www.readyrig.com
  Ice Fishermen Walk on Water!

Offline BJ

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLAAAAGGGGG!!!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2009, 04:58 PM »
I have a Croxton Pond bag that I use. Works great!! :tipup:

Offline jeepsw1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Zippo Outdoor pro-staff
« Reply #15 on: Jan 13, 2009, 05:01 PM »
I use a plastic footlocker i bought at wal-mart, used particle board to make compartments inside to seperate tackle, a spot for my vex, and my tip ups.  Bought a 3 spot rod holder from Dicks and mounted it on the inside of the lid to hold my jigging rods.  works pretty well for me.  I have upgraded to a regular jet sled and a power auger from when this pic was taken.

Offline Redhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish till it hurts!!!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 13, 2009, 06:32 PM »
Keep em in the old wooden sled,they are too tall for a 5 gal. bucket it
tips over.

Offline Icecracka46

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My favorite fishing partner
« Reply #17 on: Jan 13, 2009, 06:44 PM »

I used pipes large enough to slide my tip ups in for easy access and storage.This seems to work ok but probably not my final version

Offline Donger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 14, 2009, 08:51 AM »
I have a bag. I use "cord wraps" to keep my leader straight. I use 2 straps on each trap, one near the spool and one to hold the hook in place.

FishingNewEngland, would you be able to describe a cord wrap?  Is it a small bungie cord?  Where can they be bought, sounds like something I've been looking for.  Rubber bands deteriorate and break.

Thanks,
Boats and Hoes

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 14, 2009, 09:39 AM »
I use a plastic footlocker i bought at wal-mart, used particle board to make compartments inside to seperate tackle, a spot for my vex, and my tip ups.  Bought a 3 spot rod holder from Dicks and mounted it on the inside of the lid to hold my jigging rods.  works pretty well for me.  I have upgraded to a regular jet sled and a power auger from when this pic was taken.

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)
This set up is nice. Did you get the footlocker in the auto section? Is it by rubbermaid or contico I think thats the name? Think I saw something similar the other day when I was there. :icefish:
Take a kid ice fishing

Offline jeepsw1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Zippo Outdoor pro-staff
« Reply #20 on: Jan 14, 2009, 09:49 AM »
This set up is nice. Did you get the footlocker in the auto section? Is it by rubbermaid or contico I think thats the name? Think I saw something similar the other day when I was there. :icefish:

Yeah, i got it in the auto section...maker was Sterilite.  My buddy bought the contico one, don't think i t was as deep, maybe you would not be able to add the rod holder. It also came with rollers on the bottom if you are too tired to carry it into the house at the end of the day. 

my box is 31" L X 13-1/2' W  X 14" Deep

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 14, 2009, 10:09 AM »
Thank you, Was looking at the Contico yesterday, Unfortunately it was wrapped in plastic and I wasn't able to open it up.
Take a kid ice fishing

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.