The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: TROPHY  (Read 1493 times)

Offline PIKECHASER75

• IceShanty Rookie
TROPHY
« on: Feb 25, 2008, 07:52 AM »
ANYONE AND ANY GUESSES ON WHATS AN AVERAGE PIKE FOR MASSACHSUETTS AND WHATS CONSIDERED A TROPHY SIZE

Offline newbraintree

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get a Set!
Re: TROPHY
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2008, 08:00 AM »
ANYONE AND ANY GUESSES ON WHATS AN AVERAGE PIKE FOR MASSACHSUETTS AND WHATS CONSIDERED A TROPHY SIZE

I would say a trophy would have to be bigger than 20#'s.  I think that they should make the min pin wieght 20#.

Personally, I won't keep one to mount until it is over 20#s
, , ,

Offline Massfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2008, 08:09 AM »
I think the pins 15 and if it is i would say a trophy is 15  come on thats a big fish.
I'm a Sucker Slaughterer!!

Offline newbraintree

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get a Set!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2008, 08:12 AM »
I think the pins 15 and if it is i would say a trophy is 15  come on thats a big fish.

It is a big fish, but if you raise it it will encourage people to throw them back in so they become even bigger fish!   There are a lot of 15# Pike  around.  Just ask anyone who has put their time in at Comet and Browning Pond
, , ,

Offline Massfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2008, 08:37 AM »
It is a big fish, but if you raise it it will encourage people to throw them back in so they become even bigger fish!   There are a lot of 15# Pike  around.  Just ask anyone who has put their time in at Comet and Browning Pond

I might have misread that before or maybe i wasnt clear but i see what you are saying about raising it, to 20lbs for pike, i thought it was 15lbs.  and i thought pike is what we were talking about.  I dont think theres pike at either of those ponds unless you were bustin my balls for catching small fish????
I'm a Sucker Slaughterer!!

Offline PIKECHASER75

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2008, 08:54 AM »
I DIDNT THINK COMET OR BROWNING HAD PIKE IN IT BUT OF COURSE IT MUST BE AN INSIDE JOKE OF SOME SORT!!!!!!

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 2008, 08:58 AM »
TROPHY is in the eyes of the fish holder... ;)
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline PIKECHASER75

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 25, 2008, 09:23 AM »
I AGREE WITH THAT STATEMENT , BUT WE HAVE TO THINK ABOUT THE FUTURE OF FISHING. SOME PONDS AND LAKE WHERE AWESOME 5 -10 YRS AGO AND NOW THERES HARDLY ANY FISH IN IT BECUZ PEOPLE WILL KEEP EVERYTHING THEY CATCH JUST TO KEEP IT

Offline newbraintree

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get a Set!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 25, 2008, 10:19 AM »
I AGREE WITH THAT STATEMENT , BUT WE HAVE TO THINK ABOUT THE FUTURE OF FISHING. SOME PONDS AND LAKE WHERE AWESOME 5 -10 YRS AGO AND NOW THERES HARDLY ANY FISH IN IT BECUZ PEOPLE WILL KEEP EVERYTHING THEY CATCH JUST TO KEEP IT

So if they raise the weight for a Pin, it would help keep these fish stocked in the waters.   
, , ,

Offline esoxmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eat Sleep & Breath Pike
« Reply #9 on: Feb 25, 2008, 11:56 AM »
There's a lot of smaller fish (1-5 lbs) because too many people keep them at 10 or 15 pounds, and this keeps them from reaching trophy class size. I saw some guys keep a 12 pounder to get it mounted. What's the point in that. All it takes is some time and effort and you'll catch a 20 pounder. One just needs to take the time to get to know a waterbody, because there's usually a good 20 pounder swimming around in most pike waters, its just about taking the time to learn, and waiting for that 20 pounder to happen to be hungry when it sees your 12 inch sucker in the shallows when she's spawning. I'd say that a trophy size pike would be 20 pounds, and anyone that keeps one smaller than that hasn't been in the sport that long because they should know that theres more 15 pound pike swimming around than a newbie knows.
~Matt~

Offline newbraintree

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get a Set!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 25, 2008, 12:25 PM »
There's a lot of smaller fish (1-5 lbs) because too many people keep them at 10 or 15 pounds, and this keeps them from reaching trophy class size. I saw some guys keep a 12 pounder to get it mounted. What's the point in that. All it takes is some time and effort and you'll catch a 20 pounder. One just needs to take the time to get to know a waterbody, because there's usually a good 20 pounder swimming around in most pike waters, its just about taking the time to learn, and waiting for that 20 pounder to happen to be hungry when it sees your 12 inch sucker in the shallows when she's spawning. I'd say that a trophy size pike would be 20 pounds, and anyone that keeps one smaller than that hasn't been in the sport that long because they should know that theres more 15 pound pike swimming around than a newbie knows.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Well put. Where there are small pike, there are large pike.  You just need to put your time in and be patient.  And of course, don't force it up through the hole!!!
, , ,

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.