The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Back on the Hunt (pulling my hair out)  (Read 3595 times)

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
Back on the Hunt (pulling my hair out)
« on: Jan 16, 2015, 12:04 PM »
I know this topic has been discussed before, I'm just at my wits end on finding the right boot for me.  So I'm back to the internet search! Been reviewing boots for a LONG time! Hours of reading and I still don't know which boot to try next ?! The Baffin titans are just too warm and don't breath well, sweaty feet, then cold toes. Tried multiple different socks, last being smartwool. Never cotton! Then I tried the muck arctic pro boots. Last Fri, sat, sun. Toes got cold with minimal sweating, just not enough insulation. I'm gonna keep the baffins for real slushy days but I'm looking for a great cold weather boot that will keep the toes warm even if they sweat a little bit. Not too concerned with 110% waterproof because I have the baffins for soupy slush days. I'm looking at a pair that has a pull out liner as well as thinsulate built into the boot. I'm thinking if the booty gets damp with sweat, the thinsulate will help keep the booty warm, unlike baffins thin rubber wall.
I'm looking for the names of the boots y'all wear, I'll do the research on them. Unless you want to give a brief like/dislike about them.  I really do appreciate any info you can give me. I thank'ya in advance. Keith

Offline Bollesy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Back on the Hunt (pulling my hair out)
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2015, 12:12 PM »
I have to say Keith, I had the same problem for many years until my buddy introduced my to NEOS overshoes with the built in stabilicers!! I now wear regular hiking shoes/work boots and my feet stay warm and dry in the nastiest conditions!!
https://www.overshoesneos.com/Neos_Explorer_Stabilicer_Overshoe.html

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2015, 12:15 PM »
I have to say Keith, I had the same problem for many years until my buddy introduced my to NEOS overshoes with the built in stabilicers!! I now wear regular hiking shoes/work boots and my feet stay warm and dry in the nastiest conditions!!
https://www.overshoesneos.com/Neos_Explorer_Stabilicer_Overshoe.html
interesting, thank you for taking the time to respond. Over 20 views in 2 minutes.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2015, 12:18 PM »
Keith, check of the LL Bean Maine Pack Boot. Lifetime warranty too. U know me, i have zero body insulation and these keep my feet warm all day.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/75920?page=maine-pac-boots
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline BobP

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2015, 12:44 PM »
I have been wearing sorels with the Cordura uppers.  Feet are comfortably.  I even leave them in the truck overnight and wear them with no socks on the ice.

Offline craiger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Swedish steel is for real
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2015, 12:45 PM »
I got a pair of cabelas predator extremes a couple years ago.  They have a removable liner and have yet to let my feet get wet.  They're no heavier than a tall work boot.  The sizing is tricky so I'd definitely recommend getting them in person, unless you don't mind shipping back and forth.   I wear an 11-12 and ended up buying size 13.  They keep me warm with thin socks, like for skiing.  They pair up real nice with XXL stabilicers. 

They do make driving interesting, but it is doable, and I drive a sedan.  Think I got mine for 135 on sale.  Good luck in your search!

Offline fishnbud

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2015, 12:52 PM »
bunny boots i hunt and ice fish in them never had cold toes . they are a little bulky . but worth it

Offline lenz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 'Ice Only' Fisherman
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2015, 12:55 PM »
I have an old pair of Lacrosse with the removable thinsulate boot..toasty. but no good in slush more than 4" deep. leather uppers

burp
Member of G.O.D.S

One pill makes you larger
And one pill makes you small
And the ones that mother gives you
Don't do anything at all

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2015, 01:00 PM »
I bought my first pair of Mucks 3 years ago. Best boot I ever owned for ice fishing. light weight, warm, comfortable. The only down side is make sure you wear ice cleats on bare ice.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2015, 01:05 PM »
I got a pair of cabelas predator extremes a couple years ago.  They have a removable liner and have yet to let my feet get wet.  They're no heavier than a tall work boot.  The sizing is tricky so I'd definitely recommend getting them in person, unless you don't mind shipping back and forth.   I wear an 11-12 and ended up buying size 13.  They keep me warm with thin socks, like for skiing.  They pair up real nice with XXL stabilicers. 

They do make driving interesting, but it is doable, and I drive a sedan.  Think I got mine for 135 on sale.  Good luck in your search!
these are ones I'm leaning towards.

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2015, 01:06 PM »
bunny boots i hunt and ice fish in them never had cold toes . they are a little bulky . but worth it
too many mixed reviews on the mickey boots. And I'm looking for something that isn't all rubber. I have the baffins for that.

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2015, 01:06 PM »
Keith, check of the LL Bean Maine Pack Boot. Lifetime warranty too. U know me, i have zero body insulation and these keep my feet warm all day.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/75920?page=maine-pac-boots
I'll check them out thanks.

Offline They Eat Ducks !!!

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "My fishin' partner" my daughter !!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2015, 01:10 PM »

EXCELLENT BOOT !!!  The best I've ever worn in 30+ yrs ice fishing  :thumbsup:

Offline 200fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 16, 2015, 01:26 PM »
I dunno... I've tried all kinds of the new-fangled "high tech" boots and finally decided that thinsulate is a horrible boot insulation. I finally went back to a pair of old school sorel pacs. Not happy that the quality isn't what it was when they were made in Canada but I find them warm and comfortable. In extreme cold I'll add some chemical toe warmers. In deep slush, I suck it up and wear my Muck Woody Max.

I always wanted to try the Predator Extremes but for some reason they don't make them in size 14. I did try the Infernos but they ran too tight.
"Indecision may or may not be my problem"  -Jimmy Buffett

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #14 on: Jan 16, 2015, 01:44 PM »
these are ones I'm leaning towards.
willing to bet those separate right where the leather meets the lower rubber, like most pack boots.....

Offline ALMA0930

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 16, 2015, 02:14 PM »
wish I read your post before I bought my baffins, anyway, have you checked out shoebuy .com ?  they sell every brand made! heres the scoop,, FREE SHIPPING BOTH WAYS !  pick out a couple pairs and send back the ones you don't like. or send em all back. I do all the time. just don't pay full price for them. be sure to sign up for an e-mail account and they send you offers every day for 20% or even up to 50% off. by the way , the best boot I ever had were red ball boundarys. they don't make them anymore, I think they were bought out by lacrosse.
  good luck !

Offline jonserfishswansea

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 16, 2015, 02:22 PM »
THOSE NEOS LOOK AWESOME! ON MY LIST FOR NEXT SEASON(WILL BE GOOD OVER THE WADERS  FOR CLIMBING ROCKS IN THE SALT FOR SPRING AND FALL AS WELL!

Offline TheTroutWhisperer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 16, 2015, 02:28 PM »
I wouldn't buy another pair of boots from cabela's. They will leak where rubber meets leather. I know they have a good return policy but don't waste your time, money, or frustration.

Offline flyfish413

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 16, 2015, 02:34 PM »
I couldn't imagine stomping around in moon boots like the Predator Extremes. I like lighter boots, and adjust the temperature with socks and Toasty Toes if necessary. Bought a pair of 400 gram Cabelas Snow Runners 3 years ago and couldn't be happier. Totally waterproof, light, look good and very comfortable. With a pair of heavy merino Patagonia socks I only have to throw a set of Toasty Toes in there a handful of times a year, which i get from Sierra Trading for about $.75 a piece.

But boot warmth is a really subjective measure. I found what works for me, it may not come close to working for anyone else. I don't have issues with cold hands or feet in general. Either way, at a basic level I'd rather go with the lighter boot with good socks, and keep some toasty toes in the pack for when it gets really cold.

Offline fishinfool

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 16, 2015, 02:37 PM »
cheap pair of rockys from dicks work great no sweat wool socks and cheap  :tipup:

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Jan 16, 2015, 02:41 PM »
Sorry to hear about the mucks Keith.  I thankfully have not had the issue wearing nothing but wigwam wool....with the arctic sports

Offline dirtydraws29

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 16, 2015, 03:37 PM »
i had baffins too warm went to bone dry redhaeds not as flexable as baffin but just rite on warmth

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 16, 2015, 03:46 PM »
Cabelas snowy range 1200 w/ dry plus liner. Got  'em @ spring clearance  for $99. Several years old and the soles are still pristine; havent leaked yet.
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline moosehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 16, 2015, 05:04 PM »
something with a liner. I have boots that I got from llbean years ago. nice and warm. the more you pay for boots the better they are pretty much.

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #24 on: Jan 16, 2015, 05:23 PM »
wish I read your post before I bought my baffins, anyway, have you checked out shoebuy .com ?  they sell every brand made! heres the scoop,, FREE SHIPPING BOTH WAYS !  pick out a couple pairs and send back the ones you don't like. or send em all back. I do all the time. just don't pay full price for them. be sure to sign up for an e-mail account and they send you offers every day for 20% or even up to 50% off. by the way , the best boot I ever had were red ball boundarys. they don't make them anymore, I think they were bought out by lacrosse.
  good luck !
my dad had red ball boots many years ago :-)

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #25 on: Jan 16, 2015, 05:30 PM »
So I decided to take a quick ride to Cabela's in my wife's little go cart lol.  I really didn't think it through, 4:00 pm Friday lol. It wasn't too bad though. There and back 2hrs 20 min. Worth the ride! The Cabela's predator extreme will be scratched off my list. HUGE boot, and I thought the Baffin titans were beefy. I tried on a 13, WAY TOO TIGHT! I'm an 11 Not much left to look at there. I did grab 2 more ice screws though :-)

Offline OldCaveman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 16, 2015, 05:35 PM »
   I'm in my 3rd season in a pair of Lacrosse Alpha Burlies with 1200 grams of insulation. They have a side zippers that help getting in and out with my large calf's. KTP carries them and I love mine.
John

Offline Fat Tony

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 16, 2015, 05:38 PM »
Rocky Blizzardstalkers have done me well for a few years.  Been in real cold conditions on Champlain to warm sunny days in Webster. Only wear I pair of wool blend socks usually .  Better on the cold days as they can be a little bit much on them warmer days.  No complaints other than that . Happy hunting!  :icefish:

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #28 on: Jan 16, 2015, 05:53 PM »
Rocky Blizzardstalkers have done me well for a few years.  Been in real cold conditions on Champlain to warm sunny days in Webster. Only wear I pair of wool blend socks usually .  Better on the cold days as they can be a little bit much on them warmer dain s.  No complaints other than that . Happy hunting!  :icefish:
was really happy with my rocky timberwolves but eventually the side seam split. Few years, ALOT of use. So I decided on rocky again. Went with the boot that replaced it. Only on my second ice season. And somewhere around 400-450 hours of ice time and they are already splitting. Not happy! Will never consider rocky again. Like keith Im in the market for boots. Was all set to buy mucks until keiths review.
Baffin apex looks intriguing...and as against cabela brand name stuff as I am, that trans alaskan is nice sounding boot.

Offline V Menzone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 16, 2015, 06:00 PM »
I wouldn't buy another pair of boots from cabela's. They will leak where rubber meets leather. I know they have a good return policy but don't waste your time, money, or frustration.
X2 went through 2 pairs in 2 seasons took the credit bought muck boots that were good for 3 seasons now they are due for a replacement

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.