The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Tournament leader  (Read 909 times)

Offline reid

• IceShanty Rookie
Tournament leader
« on: Feb 11, 2013, 12:57 PM »
what do you guys use for a leader when fishing a tournament for bass and pickerel?

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
Re: Tournament leader
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2013, 01:09 PM »
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=165366.0
Check this out and take your pick!  great discussion on this... may be dated but it doesnt matter!  Search function works awesome for this ... might as well here from across the country too!  :o

Flaggs!
IceShanty.Com: "The best place to go ice fishing, when you can't go ice fishing!"   A Flaggs Orginal

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2013, 01:54 PM »
Why would a tournament be different than other times?   :-\
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline Ethan11271

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2013, 02:05 PM »
Same thing I always run- 4ft of 10lb braided it's 3lb diameter is virtualy not there.
Fish On!!

Offline Mrdavis53009

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • born to fish forced to work!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2013, 03:52 PM »
I use 50# trilene big game for everything. Works great.
Gonna get a big one this time!

Offline Goldpinhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2013, 07:08 PM »
it's really personal preference.  i just read that other thread and it's a trade off between potentially getting more action and potentially losing more fish in my opinion.  if you hate losing fish or would be pissed if you lost a big one b/c you went light, then go heavy.   if you're confident you can take your time a play a fish on light line and don't mind potentially losing some go light. 

personally i've lost enough big ones from going too light so i tend to go on the heavier side.  there was even a period when i was only using light steel on bass/pick ponds.  even if i had a monster on i never worried about losing a fish due to line failure. 

you can catch big fish on both.  tafts and i caught tons of big pike all day on 50# mono leads but the biggest of the day came on a steel lead.   you never know.

Offline big big rdg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike Hunter
« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2013, 11:06 PM »
If i were only fishing bass and pickeral i would run 20lb flouro but im usually targeting pike or trout/salmon/crappies.... And for pike i run 50lb flouro and trout ect. 8lb flouro....

Offline jonserfish1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hi, my name is Jeff and I'm a fishahaulic!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2013, 04:32 AM »
what do you guys use for a leader when fishing a tournament for bass and pickerel?
the person with the most/biggest fish  :o

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2013, 06:02 AM »
it's really personal preference.  i just read that other thread and it's a trade off between potentially getting more action and potentially losing more fish in my opinion.  if you hate losing fish or would be pissed if you lost a big one b/c you went light, then go heavy.   if you're confident you can take your time a play a fish on light line and don't mind potentially losing some go light. 

personally i've lost enough big ones from going too light so i tend to go on the heavier side.  there was even a period when i was only using light steel on bass/pick ponds.  even if i had a monster on i never worried about losing a fish due to line failure. 

you can catch big fish on both.  tafts and i caught tons of big pike all day on 50# mono leads but the biggest of the day came on a steel lead.   you never know.

Thanks GoldPH!   ;)2

Flaggs!
IceShanty.Com: "The best place to go ice fishing, when you can't go ice fishing!"   A Flaggs Orginal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.