The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Salmon...Maybe???  (Read 2752 times)

Offline tafts ta

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Professional Ice Guide, Tournament Angler, TV Host
Salmon...Maybe???
« on: Dec 18, 2012, 08:19 AM »
This is on the DFW website as of monday.

Broodstock Salmon Stocking

December 2012

Depending on weather and access to water, broodstock salmon stocking will begin in mid-December and will be completed by the end of the year. Each district will receive 124 fish, all from the Division of Fisheries and Wildlife's Roger Reed State Fish Hatchery in Palmer. The fish will range in size from 5 to 12 pounds. To find out when lakes and ponds are stocked, contact the DFW District office in Ayer (978) 772-2145; Belchertown (413) 323-7632; Bourne (508) 759-3406; Dalton (413) 684-1646; or West Boylston (508) 835-3607.

Better than 60 last year!
Host of TV's Guiding Ice
Pro-Staff HT ENTERPRISES, Pro Staff POLAR FIRE, Pro Staff VEXILAR, Pro Staff OTTER OUTDOORS, Pro Staff PK LURES, Pro Staff DEEP FREEZE, Pro Staff Bunker Up Fishin
Pro Staff JAW JACKERS
New England's Only Authorized Representative for SnoBear Vehicles!

Offline rmoody79

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Salmon...Maybe???
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2012, 08:21 AM »
its already been done, they put the fish in two weeks ago, down here in southern mass they are getting caught fairly quickly from shore.

Offline FishingNewEngland

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing New England
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2012, 08:51 AM »
I'm hearing that this could be the last stocking, period. With the storm that took out the hatchery last year, the state may not go forward with it.

Offline rmoody79

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2012, 09:52 AM »
that is true, the state is abandoning its program to rebound the atlantic salmon fishery in MA, so most likely this stocking from Palmer hatchery is the last.

Offline masspike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2012, 10:13 AM »
sweet no more fish that look like they have AIDS
a bad day of fishing....is better than a good day @ work

Offline Lowrance25

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2012, 10:37 AM »
sweet no more fish that look like they have AIDS

hahaha you said what I was thinkin

Offline tomb raider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2012, 11:20 AM »
Oh Great...That means more diapers at 5mile pond in Springfield.

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2012, 11:35 AM »
If they abandon the program will our license fees go down?

Offline clopes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2012, 12:09 PM »
Gonna try and get one now. Hope it's not completely frozen over.....

Offline rmoody79

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 18, 2012, 12:18 PM »
its 50 degrees and raining so I doubt any salmon pond wil be frozen over, start slingin that gold kastmaster

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 18, 2012, 01:52 PM »

The license fees barely cover enough fish cops to keep people from raping the ponds they stock with trout.

I think the salmon program had a lot of federal money involved to try to return the numbers of salmon to what they were before the mills dammed the rivers up years ago. The salmon they put in the ponds were just the old ones that were past their breeding prime...

"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Offline JFeen82

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 18, 2012, 02:27 PM »

Fees need to go up imo... As long as they hire more EPO's and due something with the stocking program, like restarting the pike program.

Offline JFeen82

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 18, 2012, 02:32 PM »
its 50 degrees and raining so I doubt any salmon pond wil be frozen over, start slingin that gold kastmaster

X2... I was surprised I was the only one fishing yesterday morning at my local salmon pond. Not one other person was. I had shiners and lures caught nothing though. I've had good luck with the blue and silver Kastmaster also

Offline dstearns82

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 19, 2012, 08:03 AM »
i say start a program for walleye instead less money to raise and self sustain in certain water bodies just look at ct program

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Dec 19, 2012, 08:32 AM »
Ive Heard reports of them all ready completing this stocking, but have heard nothing of any1 catching one.
Spent a good 5 hours at a local pond last weekend that was "supposedly" stocked that week.
Was about 6 other guys there too. Not a single Salmon caught.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline tafts ta

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 19, 2012, 08:34 AM »
i say start a program for walleye instead less money to raise and self sustain in certain water bodies just look at ct program

Ct has way better walleye lakes unfortunately. And when it comes to a state stocking program...it all comes down to money. More people will go buy a license to catch trout or pike or tigers, or an HIV salmon, than will for walleye. They don't dump hundreds of thousands of trout in the lakes because the lakes need more....they want you to buy a license so they can make their money!

You want walleye, I'll give you a honey hole on Candlewood and Champlain!
Host of TV's Guiding Ice
Pro-Staff HT ENTERPRISES, Pro Staff POLAR FIRE, Pro Staff VEXILAR, Pro Staff OTTER OUTDOORS, Pro Staff PK LURES, Pro Staff DEEP FREEZE, Pro Staff Bunker Up Fishin
Pro Staff JAW JACKERS

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
« Reply #16 on: Dec 19, 2012, 08:40 AM »
Walley just don't thrive in most of our waters.  Believe me, people would much rather fish for 'eyes than trout but we just can't seem to get them to take off.  It has been tried.  They stocked the Q and the state record came from there but they would not reproduce.  The River and the Merrimack are the only places that have breeding populations in Ma.

"I will never stop targeting trophies, every skunk is one skunk closer to a giant "  RC

"We're going to sit around the shanty mama...."  Johnathan Edwards

"If you are going out there to figure it all out by yourself, well, ice has a
 learning curve second only to fire. I wish you the best of luck."    Looneyducer

Offline masspike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 19, 2012, 08:43 AM »
the best way to start a program is to sell a stamp with a licesence to help fund it..i would spend an extra 5 bucks a year to get a pike/purestrain muskie program started

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Dec 19, 2012, 08:58 AM »
There are only a small number of guys that fish CT for walleye.  They just added walleye to two new lakes as well!  We've got some decent sized ones as well.  However a majority of the angling hours spent are for trout. 

Offline capedeer/fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 19, 2012, 09:13 AM »
Got 1 around 5# this am. Out in the yak. And 4 small bows. All 5 lived to tell the story!  Was too windy for the tree stand.  :tipup:

Offline rmoody79

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 19, 2012, 10:18 AM »
Ive Heard reports of them all ready completing this stocking, but have heard nothing of any1 catching one.
Spent a good 5 hours at a local pond last weekend that was "supposedly" stocked that week.
Was about 6 other guys there too. Not a single Salmon caught.

My buddy has got 3 in plymouth since the stocking all 6-8lbs

Offline JFeen82

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 19, 2012, 10:48 AM »
My buddy has got 3 in plymouth since the stocking all 6-8lbs

Got 1 around 5# this am. Out in the yak. And 4 small bows. All 5 lived to tell the story!  Was too windy for the tree stand.  :tipup:

Just curious what are you guys getting the salmon on? Lures or shiners?

Offline clopes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 19, 2012, 10:59 AM »
I trolled all evening without a tap. Had several busting out of the water and got a real good look at one doing so. Ended up jigging and got crappie and bass. Oh well.

Offline tafts ta

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 19, 2012, 11:07 AM »
I caught a 4#er at Price chopper last night....It hit a twenty slow trolled in the fish section.
Host of TV's Guiding Ice
Pro Staff JAW JACKERS

Offline dstearns82

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 19, 2012, 11:10 AM »
@ taftsta i think i know the honey hole ur talkin on candlewood got a buddy that lives in danbury and we fish a little divided section called squantz pond place is a walleye gold mine however knowing where to go is a quarter of the battle the other 3/4 is catching them definately can be tricky certain times of year........another good place only 10 min from me is mashapaug lake in union walleye finally took off there and believed to be reproducing........i know in the past and i mean way back they tried walleye and i believe the reason for not taking was forage base however now there are waters in mass that have booming alwive populations that never existed before and i believe these baitfish are key to walleye reproduction and sustainability because every successful lake in ct. has them thriving......just my opinion

Offline masspike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 19, 2012, 11:11 AM »
i think wallum lake would be good for walleye

Offline rmoody79

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 19, 2012, 11:11 AM »
gold kastmaster or orange acme fish hawk for the salmon,they are killers

Offline masspike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 19, 2012, 11:12 AM »
night crawlers on tip-ups..oh wait we have no ice

Offline tafts ta

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Dec 19, 2012, 11:16 AM »
Always have good luck with a 1/2 ounce Thomas Bouyant in silver and blue, or a Laker Taker in the same color. As for bait on tip ups...I amy be in the minority, but I believe that the salmon will hit just about anything as long as it is presented in a believeble manner. I've seen em caught on crawlers, mediums, heavy's, even pike bait, seen em caught jigging too. It's just about one swimming by at the right ime more than anything else. Hell, I caught one off the Bowl two seasons ago on a heavy medium, in 6 feet of water, heavy weeds, with a steel leader and a 4/0 hook...go figure.
Host of TV's Guiding Ice
Pro Staff JAW JACKERS

Offline dstearns82

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Dec 19, 2012, 11:20 AM »
hamilton res. in holland would be good too boomin with alwives

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.