The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Trap thieves!!!  (Read 3149 times)

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
Trap thieves!!!
« on: Nov 26, 2009, 10:17 PM »
I was told today that it's the Game Wardens that are stealing the bait traps. The guy that told me this today said they are taking the traps, because we need a special permit to be trapping bait. I never heard of this. Have you guys heard of this? If it's true I will be making a call to the field headquarters on Monday morning. This is a joke if it's true!!!
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
Re: Trap thieves!!!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 26, 2009, 10:22 PM »
If its the law, what can you say? How would you feel if the guy fishing next to you didnt have a license to fish?

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 26, 2009, 10:35 PM »
I always wondered what the Ma law was concerning bait trapping.  On the one hand, a few successful bait trappers could effectively reduce the forage fish in a water body.  On the other hand, you folks probably have fishing licenses.  I guess I'll need to review Ma rules and regs.  If the traps were being "collected" by F&W, has anybody been contacted?  Don't you label your traps?

MD

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 26, 2009, 10:41 PM »
Just read your regs. You need a permit to trap anything and everything. And each one is pricy!

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 26, 2009, 10:51 PM »
Did you find it on-line, Mud?  If so, post a link.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 26, 2009, 10:59 PM »

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/regulations/plain_language/taking_baitfish.htm

4.  LICENSES AND PERMITS: A resident fisherman needs a resident fishing or sporting license to take bait fish for personal use. A non-resident fisherman needs a non-resident fishing license to take bait fish for personal use. Such licensed fishermen do not additionally need any other permit to take bait fish for personal use. A resident licensed fisherman may take and sell commercial bait fish when such fisherman also possesses a current and valid "Permit to Take Shiners for Bait". Non-resident fisherman may not take commercial bait fish for sale.

The F&W must think these guys are commercial bait trappers!

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 26, 2009, 11:18 PM »
Plus it is worded poorly! Is take bait mean hook and line? or a trap? They probably left a loophole there so you have to buy the big book of rules cause these are just condensed into a guide.

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Nov 27, 2009, 01:28 AM »
4. LICENSES AND PERMITS: A resident fisherman needs a resident fishing or sporting license to take bait fish for personal use. A non-resident fisherman needs a non-resident fishing license to take bait fish for personal use. Such licensed fishermen do not additionally need any other permit to take bait fish for personal use. A resident licensed fisherman may take and sell commercial bait fish when such fisherman also possesses a current and valid "Permit to Take Shiners for Bait". Non-resident fisherman may not take commercial bait fish for sale.

This is what I found...I don't think we need anything more than our regular fishing license.
I do buy bait from the bait shops, but catch my own larger baits because they don't have them.

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Nov 27, 2009, 01:31 AM »
I always wondered what the Ma law was concerning bait trapping.  On the one hand, a few successful bait trappers could effectively reduce the forage fish in a water body.  On the other hand, you folks probably have fishing licenses.  I guess I'll need to review Ma rules and regs.  If the traps were being "collected" by F&W, has anybody been contacted?  Don't you label your traps?

MD

It's not the law here to label our traps, but after a few of mine were missing I started to put my name on them. And I have had a few more missing with no calls from the EPO's. All we need here to trap bait is a regular fishing license.

Offline crazy man

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Greetings
« Reply #9 on: Nov 27, 2009, 02:37 AM »
In Minnesota we are allowed to trap minnow with our regular licence.  The trap must be below a maximum size and your name and address must be attached.  People, including dnr, will take your traps if they are found without the name.  I put my name on mine and no problems.   ;)

Offline jeepsw1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Zippo Outdoor pro-staff
« Reply #10 on: Nov 27, 2009, 05:40 AM »
What is the size of your entrance hole to the trap, MA Regs state it must be no greater than 1".  If your holes are larger, then that might be cause for them to confiscate a trap.  If you are within the regs, then i have no idea why.   I have had my traps checked by the local EPO when they were sitting in the back of my truck at work, but he was just doing it to bust my balls. I have a good working realtionship with them at the park.  If i see My local EPO at work soo, i'll ask for his intrerpretation.

Offline Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 27, 2009, 06:40 AM »
From what I read your license is all you need unless you are selling bait. Like was said before check your traps if they are not in compliance that could be why they are disappearing. A fraction of an inch is all it takes to get a ticket for a short fish so thats all they need to take your traps. Also older traps may be damaged if the opening was crushed at all now in one direction it measures 7/8" and in the other 1 1/8". Someone needs to catch whoever is doing this to find out what is really happening, around here if your trap was illegal and your info was printed on it you be getting a visit from from an ECO. Not hearing anything makes me wonder if it would really be law enforcement.

Offline FishinAddiction

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Is A Sport, That Makes Me An Athlete
« Reply #12 on: Nov 27, 2009, 07:00 AM »
I believe you have to be with the trap just like anything else that we fish with.

Offline JCaughtem

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Someday I will have a record fish!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 27, 2009, 08:11 AM »
Just read your regs. You need a permit to trap anything and everything. And each one is pricy!
Hit the nail on the head.

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
« Reply #14 on: Nov 27, 2009, 10:13 AM »
I'm 99.99% sure that we need only have a fishing license nor do you need
to attend your bait traps while trapping.  I seriously doubt that it is an
EPO taking your trap.  If they were suspecting illegal trapping then they would
be much more likely to leave your traps in and monitor them to see who comes
to check them.

Most likely, they are getting swiped by punks and unethical sportsmen (do those
two terms mean the same thing?)  I have been trapping bait for over twenty
years and almost every year I loose one or two.  People just can't seem to leave
them alone when they come across them in a remote area.

The best you can do is make it hard on them.  One of my most effective ploys is to
wear my hip boots, tie the tag line from my trap about two feet up on a stout stick, walk
as far out as I can with the waders, toss my trap and then wedge the stick in to the
bottom.  Thieves are usually lazy people and I have never had one walk out in to
the water to steal my trap.  I have also tied my tag line to the end of a long blow down
sapling, slid the sapling in to the water and then throw the trap.  Then, to retrieve the
trap pull in the sapling pole.

The best you can do is make it hard on them.  The bottom line is Rip Offs Suck

Best of luck boys,

"I will never stop targeting trophies, every skunk is one skunk closer to a giant "  RC

"We're going to sit around the shanty mama...."  Johnathan Edwards

"If you are going out there to figure it all out by yourself, well, ice has a
 learning curve second only to fire. I wish you the best of luck."    Looneyducer

Offline PIKEKILLER1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 27, 2009, 12:37 PM »
try hiding them

Offline yakk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 27, 2009, 04:12 PM »
try hiding them
if any one see's it , they WILL mess with it .

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
« Reply #17 on: Nov 27, 2009, 04:28 PM »
I live in MA for a brief stint, and at that time as a licensed fisherman, you could use one trap for personal bait . If you wanted to use more , it was required to buy a Shiner Permit, was like $10 then. With the shiner permit you could use up to 10 minnow traps. ---on another note-- try dropping yer traps in with an extension pole (painters pole). I have a 10 ft that extends to 16-18 ft. I use it to set and retreive traps. Then ya don`t have to worry about bandits seeing ropes from the shoreline. Also an errant crankbait has no rope to snag on. I trap my good spots at night, outta site outta mind.

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Nov 27, 2009, 07:04 PM »
I believe you have to be with the trap just like anything else that we fish with.
Stay with your traps??

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Nov 27, 2009, 07:42 PM »
I can't imagine EPO's would be taking your traps and you don't know about it?  I'd say they'd contact you once they were taken assuming your name was on them.  Although from what was written....nowhere does it say your name has to be on the traps.??  I'm guessing someone sees you putting them in there and takes them once you leave.  I love the night idea and no strings attached.   ;D
That taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see what I bring'em!!

Offline Clousseau

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Nov 29, 2009, 08:21 AM »
One way to try to hide your traps is to use dark color or camo colored line. Also the traps, if they are shiney and new should be dulled down with some dark colored paint, or made to get rusty; they then won't show up in a small shallow pool so easily.

Offline the wizzard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 02, 2009, 02:28 PM »
first off,bait and tackle shops sell minnow traps in thier stores. Would't it make sense that if it was illegal to trap bait that the bait stores would need proof of a permit from a customer that wants to purchase such traps??
You guys are all correct in saying that the state needs funds and they go after the recreational folks that bother nobody.!Why can't they charge the criminals in jail for life some surcharges and all thier FREE meals they get every day...
Pretty soon we will all need a license to take a P@*ss on a pond we're ice fishing.
I'll let you know how much the fine is!!!(ha,ha)

Offline Doggz1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Think like pike
« Reply #22 on: Dec 02, 2009, 04:02 PM »
"Pretty soon we will all need a license to take a P@*ss on a pond we're ice fishing.
I'll let you know how much the fine is!!!(ha,ha)"

Actually...you wont get a fine for that now.......i think they just make you register as a sex offender... :wacko: :wacko:
Fish when I can

Offline thefinlessbrown2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • fulfilling dreams in good company
« Reply #23 on: Dec 02, 2009, 04:49 PM »
hey pikeking
     are you trapping in the haverhill area ? i was trapping behind my girls house over the weekend and one of my traps was stolen and a hand made trap i had out was destroyed on the shore ..the reason i am asking is i also noticed another person was trapping an ajoining pond and his trap was also stolen i assume ..was wondering if maybe that was yours ?i also mentioned this on a new hampshire thread as that is where i am a resident ..but i do hold a mass liscense also..

Offline thefinlessbrown2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 02, 2009, 04:57 PM »
i beleive in my case it was neighborhood delinquants as i was working in my girlfreinds yard and could hear  rugrats playing around the pond as its only yards from her house

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 02, 2009, 08:51 PM »
It might suck....but set at night.....pull at night.
That taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see what I bring'em!!

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Dec 02, 2009, 10:55 PM »
Not me finless,,,I live in western ma. Sorry for your loss. Take off your belt and grab one of them, they will tell you who did it!!! :whistle:

Offline FishingNewEngland

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing New England
« Reply #27 on: Dec 02, 2009, 11:17 PM »
It might suck....but set at night.....pull at night.

Doesn't suck at all. Only time I've lost a trap was when I put it out during daylight.

Offline thefinlessbrown2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 03, 2009, 11:00 AM »
Not me finless,,,I live in western ma. Sorry for your loss. Take off your belt and grab one of them, they will tell you who did it!!! :whistle:
;D that might cause a problem ..i'll just build a couple more ..less headaches

Offline Iceholes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Quest for the Gold Flag
« Reply #29 on: Dec 03, 2009, 12:18 PM »
Checked mine Thanksgiving evening and someone had pulled the trap all the way to shore, but left it alone and it had bait in it.  I reset thinking someone saw what it was and let it be.  Came back Friday to find the trap opened up and laying in two pieces on the shore.  Not broken, just all bait released.

maybe someone from PETA is watching me??  have to go back under the cover of the night!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.