Author Topic: WHAT SIZE OF HOOKS AND WHAT TYPE OF BAIT ARE WORKING RIGHT NOW ?  (Read 2142 times)

Offline JIG MASTER77

• IceShanty Rookie
 :whistle:PLEASE HELP OUT ANOTHERFISHERMAN IN NEED? FISH SEEM TO SWIM UP TO THE HOOK, LOOK AT IT THEN SWIM AWAY WHAT'S UP WITH THIS ?

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
you need to be slightly more specific.....what are you fishing for? and what are you currently using?

Offline JIG MASTER77

• IceShanty Rookie
you need to be slightly more specific.....what are you fishing for? and what are you currently using?
we are fishing for walleye, perch in general. the odd jack but formost part we are using t-tots, jig heads, spoons, weasel hooks. as for bait we use minnows, eyes, the odd time mealworms, are maggots working is there any thing else i could try. the fish seem very camera shy and not to active right know. is it just the time of year, pressure, sun /cloudy just what is it ? ???

Offline APU GARCIA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Saskatchewan
I have had luck when Pike are "looking" at the bait pulling the bait away from the fish. I pull it about a foot up quickly then if the fish follows start slowly pulling the bait away from the fish but making sure the fish can easily grab it. This has worked about 75% of the time for myself. As for size I use big Herring or Smelt on a big jig or Pike rig.

APU.
MY NAME IS APU, HOW DO YOU DO, NOW YOU GUNNA DIE!!!!!!

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Part of it is definently the timing...both Perch and Walley are ealry ice and late ice feeders (or so Ive read). At this time of the year they need to be enticed into the bite. Watch your camera..see how they react and switch up your presentation to suit it....

Im currently going small for perch...using my marmish lures or some wolfframs tipped with maggots...Im also enjoying success with minnow heads this season.

good luck

Offline Tombo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Hali-jig baited with a perch eye-for perch. Lately it seems like best times are around 9-10 AM or 4-5 PM.....the rest of the day,they don't seem interested,might get the odd one just deadsticking but agressive jigging seems to scare them away.
Buck-shot spoon with a 2 in.mono dropper and a 3-4in minnow impaled on a treble-for Walleye. but, it's gettn to that time of year when they're not real aggressive....it will pick up again later on.
Just my thoughts and ideas....good luck whatever you try  :) Tombo

Offline t-tot

• IceShanty Rookie
T-TOT tipped with half a minnow jigged hard.  That's all i use and have my limit in walleye by no time.  Perch will take the T-Tot but hawger spoon works well same bait.  I usually just fish for Walter.

Offline Pat

• Team IceShanty Regular
#8 hook on either a rattle Jig-A-Whopper or #8 hook on a Buck-Shot Rattle Spoon
bait- small chunks of sirlon steak and minnows seem to do the best bait for me.

Offline JIG MASTER77

• IceShanty Rookie
T-TOT tipped with half a minnow jigged hard.  That's all i use and have my limit in walleye by no time.  Perch will take the T-Tot but hawger spoon works well same bait.  I usually just fish for Walter.
ol wise fishin buddy ol where do you find these walleye? because I haven't been able to find to many of them in past while give examples  please which lakes,what depth, where on these lakes, what time of day any help would be great !!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
It might be a combination of factors affecting the fish right now. Weather the unsettled lows and highs that are moving through and the time of year, like others have stated most fish this time of year are eather feeding earlier in the day or later on in the afternoon and evening. Even then they are not really moving that far or fast to find food. Other factors like oxygen levels, light levels and abundance of food will all limit your success in getting them to bite. For perch and walleye this time of year I would try small lures and bait and slowly move it or deadstick them on occasion really jiggling your bait can be effective.
I have targeted pike mostly this year and have found a quick-strike rigs or plain treble hook with a smelt is working, also some of the rubber jigs have had success to.
No need to worry, the fishing everywhere should pick up in March. ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.