Author Topic: Binge Shopping  (Read 4182 times)

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Binge Shopping
« Reply #30 on: Oct 11, 2020, 01:28 PM »

Now if Shimano will just make a $100 reel price point like the Soare Ci4+ well at least offer that shallow spool in other lower price point models.

Shimano Soare bb 500s is around $140ish.

Its a good looking reel also.
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Oct 11, 2020, 01:29 PM »
Oh, I just ordered a Gloomis IMX Ice 331xf  ;D
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #32 on: Oct 11, 2020, 07:57 PM »
Shimano Soare bb 500s is around $140ish.

Its a good looking reel also.

I must've gotten that one confused with another one that was in the $300+ price range.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline seano

• IceShanty Rookie
  • if you can read this your fishing too close
« Reply #33 on: Oct 12, 2020, 01:54 AM »
im new here, been fishing for over 40 years, recently trying to get involved in more hardwater, bought a used 5x8 snopro a couple years back,i live in the finger lakes region of upstate NY with great fishing around, but due to the shanty needing a bit of work, not the greatest ice, and some health issues i havent had it out much. My work is seasonal and im really hoping to enjoy it his year. i insulated it, will be pannelling it soon, and getting it ready to go. i bought a 1986 skidoo safari in great shape to tow it.i will mostly be fishing sodus bay, chaumont bay and onieda lake this year. i was in the hospital last tues night and couldnt sleep so i bought some more stuff. for the sled i bought a new windshield, new battery, and some carbide studs for the track,i was thinking of setting up another fishfinder mounted to the skidoo for going on scouting missions, i also bought a 50w solar panel and controller for the shanty, i also bought a striker 4 with a ice transducer  i was thinking of mounting in the shanty but am now considering mounting to skidoo and getting something better for the shanty. i also purchased a dewalt 18v hammerdrill to mount to an auger to compliment my manual auger. i could use some advice where to go from here, i have several cheaper rods, tip ups, gear etc and i would really like to upgrade my setup and learn as much as possible. id appreciate any advise you could give me. thank you in advance
sean
im surrounded by ice holes

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Oct 12, 2020, 06:51 AM »
im new here, been fishing for over 40 years, recently trying to get involved in more hardwater, bought a used 5x8 snopro a couple years back,i live in the finger lakes region of upstate NY with great fishing around, but due to the shanty needing a bit of work, not the greatest ice, and some health issues i havent had it out much. My work is seasonal and im really hoping to enjoy it his year. i insulated it, will be pannelling it soon, and getting it ready to go. i bought a 1986 skidoo safari in great shape to tow it.i will mostly be fishing sodus bay, chaumont bay and onieda lake this year. i was in the hospital last tues night and couldnt sleep so i bought some more stuff. for the sled i bought a new windshield, new battery, and some carbide studs for the track,i was thinking of setting up another fishfinder mounted to the skidoo for going on scouting missions, i also bought a 50w solar panel and controller for the shanty, i also bought a striker 4 with a ice transducer  i was thinking of mounting in the shanty but am now considering mounting to skidoo and getting something better for the shanty. i also purchased a dewalt 18v hammerdrill to mount to an auger to compliment my manual auger. i could use some advice where to go from here, i have several cheaper rods, tip ups, gear etc and i would really like to upgrade my setup and learn as much as possible. id appreciate any advise you could give me. thank you in advance
sean

Welcome to the Shanty, Seano!  Sounds like you're off to a good start with your hard water endeavors - best advice I can offer up is to be patient and see what your SPECIFIC needs will be before adding those upgrades.  Rods, reels, baits, line, hardware, etc. can be dialed in depending on fish species and desired techniques to chase them - some great individual fish species info is located on the forum boards below, but you'll have to add a few more posts to your account before you can access them I believe since this is your first post.  Anyway, add a few more responses and then explore the remaining boards on the forum and be sure to check in with your State board.  Keep coming back here to the Shanty and peruse through the old posts and you will find a wealth of info to help dial in most everything ice fishing related.

One thing I will advise you add are carbide ski skegs for your sled if you've studded the track so you can steer on hard pack snow and bare ice. 

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #35 on: Oct 12, 2020, 10:16 AM »
i could use some advice where to go from here, i have several cheaper rods, tip ups, gear etc and i would really like to upgrade my setup and learn as much as possible. id appreciate any advise you could give me. thank you in advance
sean

Welcome!

Safety is key on ice. Look into float suits such as striker brand and anti slip for boot traction. I've used most of what is available and decided kold kutters ice racing screws 3/8" are best for me. Throw rope and boat seat cushion and a tether for cell phone. Bring a spare deactivated cell just in case. They can still dial 911 and use gps. A spud is important also. Be sure to get one with a wrist strap and use it.

You won't be using machines to travel early and late ice or less than ideal ice. Look at shelters that are easy to hand pull for shelter. One man flip is my suggestion and check weights before buying. You can add a tow bar to the flip.

Heat is nice and mr heater makes the popular heater.

Lithium batteries are best option to keep weight limits down for power and charging options. Amped is a great choice here and is a sponsor. I use only their batteries. They also have great prices on tungsten-ice-jigs.

A head light is great for low light and night fishing. Its always right where you need it most. You'll want one that is light weight and comfortable and provide the type of light you'll need.

You'll need a auger to drill adapter.  If you're good at using a drill you can simply use the Kovac Ice master 2 adaptor. I've tried a clam plate and returned it.

Make some friends to learn more while on the ice and use your state board for local info.

Offline Maineguy93

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Oct 12, 2020, 08:10 PM »
Oh hell yea!!!!

I’ve been waiting for ice since after July 4th! I started purchasing some new toys end of august. The biggest and most exciting being a 2021 Skidoo Expedition 900 ace turbo.. this thing is going to be one bad ass ice  fishing machine!.

I also geared up with two TUCR rods and penn reels to help me find some big big lake trout this year, and customized a gun case to keep them protected on the long snowmobile trips.

Besides that I’ve been replacing line on a lot of tip ups, binge watching ice fishing videos, and picking out some new lures here and there, just ordered the mopod for my aquavu I got last year, still need to order a lithium battery for the camera, fish finder and general power as I’m hoping to do an overnight or two. Which gets me thinking I’m going to need a bigger heater  ;D. I’m also to be purchasing an otter magnum sled this year but that will wait until the ice comes.

Offline seano

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Oct 12, 2020, 10:56 PM »
thank you for the sound advice, i have some boot traction and a couple mr heaters, also have a throw rope w cushion, can you explain the cell phone tether? i will be checking out float suits, was thinking of just bringing a life jacket but knowing me i wouldnt have it on when i need it most.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #38 on: Oct 13, 2020, 07:30 AM »
thank you for the sound advice, i have some boot traction and a couple mr heaters, also have a throw rope w cushion, can you explain the cell phone tether? i will be checking out float suits, was thinking of just bringing a life jacket but knowing me i wouldnt have it on when i need it most.

You should add your location to your profile ...county and state..helps members know the various conditions you may encounter in your area..plus may be a deal in your area  ;)2 ..the Striker Ice Trekker is a good choice . Start with the bibs ,if you cant afford both ..as you will always wear the bibs ..just note there is no elastic/spandex on the side area ..so fit is SPOT on Check the size chart ..may want to go up a size . $99 bucks per piece = a piece of mind

https://www.franksgreatoutdoors.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=striker+ice+trekker
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Maineguy93

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Oct 13, 2020, 12:03 PM »

I highly suggest a float suit, especially because of what you just said...you don’t trust yourself to actually wear it, most likely because they are uncomfortable.They now make life jackets that are either manually or water activated that are barley noticeable when wearing them. I was looking into these for my girlfriend who loves to fish with me but does not have a float suit... these life jackets run anywhere from $150-$250 which is half the cost of a float suit with not as much use as far as keeping you warm etc.. to me the float suit is way more bang for your buck. Just something to think about if you look that direction

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Oct 13, 2020, 05:01 PM »

I never go in the field without my phone tied to my person. It can be as simple as a piece of paracord, but what I use now is a fishing lanyard, and loop a piece of braided fishing line through the speaker hole in the bottom of my phone case.

https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=fishing+lanyard&i=sporting&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Offline seano

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Oct 14, 2020, 01:38 AM »
You should add your location to your profile ...county and state..helps members know the various conditions you may encounter in your area..plus may be a deal in your area  ;)2 ..the Striker Ice Trekker is a good choice . Start with the bibs ,if you cant afford both ..as you will always wear the bibs ..just note there is no elastic/spandex on the side area ..so fit is SPOT on Check the size chart ..may want to go up a size . $99 bucks per piece = a piece of mind

done and done, thanks for the heads up

Offline Reinert

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Oct 14, 2020, 05:39 AM »
Oh hell yea!!!!

I’ve been waiting for ice since after July 4th! I started purchasing some new toys end of august. The biggest and most exciting being a 2021 Skidoo Expedition 900 ace turbo.. this thing is going to be one bad ass ice  fishing machine!.

I also geared up with two TUCR rods and penn reels to help me find some big big lake trout this year, and customized a gun case to keep them protected on the long snowmobile trips.

Besides that I’ve been replacing line on a lot of tip ups, binge watching ice fishing videos, and picking out some new lures here and there, just ordered the mopod for my aquavu I got last year, still need to order a lithium battery for the camera, fish finder and general power as I’m hoping to do an overnight or two. Which gets me thinking I’m going to need a bigger heater  ;D. I’m also to be purchasing an otter magnum sled this year but that will wait until the ice comes.
now that's a sled! That was my first choice  but we had a great deal on a Yamaha venture mp  fall in my lap last year, nice machine but very tippy

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Oct 14, 2020, 02:31 PM »
These feel amazing, cork is excellent, guides and wraps are perfect, action feels nice.
Will see how they fish hopefully soon.

WINTER IS COMING!

Offline bwjay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Oct 14, 2020, 03:52 PM »
Cork looks great as it should for the price! I doubt I'll drop that kind of cash on an ice rod but I'll certainly keep my eyes out for your impressions... what do you plan to use them for?

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Oct 14, 2020, 05:05 PM »
Cork looks great as it should for the price! I doubt I'll drop that kind of cash on an ice rod but I'll certainly keep my eyes out for your impressions... what do you plan to use them for?

The 331xf will be excellent for 1/16 oz tungsten jigs, small jigging raps and smaller spoons, this rod is very sensitive and has a soft tip, its a little stiffer tip
compared to the TUCR Bullwhip due to being a carbon blank, it is also thinner and lighter, the 331xf will work excellent for panfish, trout, walleye and smallmouth bass even though it was designed as a panfish rod.

331XF
33" 1 power/Extra fast.

The 332f is a lot stiffer and a has a bit slower action, larger jigging raps, med to large spoons, it has a lot more power then the 331xf and it should being a 2 power
rod, I would use this rod for smaller lake trout, cutthroat trout, walleye and smallmouth.

332F
33" 2 power/Fast.

My main two rods this year will probably be the 331xf and a TUCR PN.
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline Mike84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Oct 14, 2020, 08:35 PM »
I never go in the field without my phone tied to my person. It can be as simple as a piece of paracord, but what I use now is a fishing lanyard, and loop a piece of braided fishing line through the speaker hole in the bottom of my phone case.

This is a brilliant suggestion that will be a part of my setup from now on.
I'm just here for the ice fishing groupies..

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #47 on: Oct 16, 2020, 10:14 AM »

Found a thread on here a while back saying these work well. Since my Samsung s20 doesn't have a headphone jack and because I like this tether tab I can keep it in the back of the phone when not needed to store the loop out of the way.  When I want to use the loop of the tether I bring it down through the USB port and clip to my  bibs with a retracting key reel. I keep the phone in my striker bib chest pocket. It helps keep the battery warm and the zipper keeps it from slipping out.

https://www.amazon.com/BLACKRAPID-Tether-Tab-Replacement-Smartphone-existing/dp/B0792G8F57

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=retractable+key+ring&sprefix=retract

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #48 on: Oct 20, 2020, 11:27 AM »
This is reminding me of my annual impulse buying...wait if I plan for it, does it make it impulse?
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Oct 20, 2020, 11:34 AM »
This is a brilliant suggestion that will be a part of my setup from now on.

This is a MUST HAVE accessory.  ALL cell phones are attracted to ice holes . 

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Oct 20, 2020, 08:54 PM »
This is a MUST HAVE accessory.  ALL cell phones are attracted to ice holes .

&t=56s

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.