Author Topic: Marcum repair?  (Read 3165 times)

Offline ifc202

• IceShanty Rookie
Marcum repair?
« on: Feb 23, 2018, 06:58 AM »
So my M5 (bought new mid December) died last Saturday. Did the warranty claim online. Mailed the unit out on Monday and was recieved on Wednesday. Got an email yesterday stating it had been fixed and it was being returned. All in all good TAT and communication. My concern is they say they replaced 3 bad parts on the motherboard. Bad parts on a 2 month old product? I'm worried that this is going to be an ongoing issue of "bad parts".  Any speculation or experience?

Offline Maguire

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Marcum repair?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2018, 07:10 AM »
I hope that you have the serial number of your m5. I sent in my lx5 in for repair, when I got it back with an all fixed letter I looked at the serial number and it wasn’t my unit. After several months of back and forth communication I finally agreed to pay $250.00 and upgrade to a m5. I hope I have better luck with this one, time will tell. Good luck with their “customer service”.

Offline shermanpup

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2018, 07:13 AM »
One component could have caused the other 2 to fail . Maybe others will have the same problem, and Marcum will recall the units and hopefully yours will already be fixed forever.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2018, 07:26 AM »
doesn't sound good.they discontinued the other older style flasher models.motors kept burning out on those.now problems with the newer generation marcums too..i wouldn't take one for free after my 3 units motors went out all in less than a season.jmo not hating but I don't trust the reliability of a Marcum.

Offline ifc202

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2018, 07:57 AM »
Do you think the charger could've fried those parts? It had been on the charger for over 24hrs with the green light indicator showing. I had done this before with no problems. 

From the M5 manual: "Your Marcum system comes with a 3-stage battery charger. This style of charger
has proven to be the most effective and easiest to use of all charging systems
available. Because this is a 3-stage charger, there is no danger of overcharging your
battery."

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2018, 08:05 AM »
doesn't sound good.they discontinued the other older style flasher models.motors kept burning out on those.now problems with the newer generation marcums too..i wouldn't take one for free after my 3 units motors went out all in less than a season.jmo not hating but I don't trust the reliability of a Marcum.

Been using the poop outta my LX-5 since 2010. Never a problem. Even with beating the crap outta it in a sled behind my snowmobile.   I dont baby it, it's been bulletproof! ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Maguire

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2018, 08:22 AM »
Slayerfish, it’s always a good feeling when things work the way there supposed to.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2018, 08:35 AM »

Been using the poop outta my LX-5 since 2010. Never a problem. Even with beating the crap outta it in a sled behind my snowmobile.   I dont baby it, it's been bulletproof! ;D
i believe the problems were with the newer units, say 2012 on up.i had and sold a older Marcum vx1 that's still working but the 2 newer  vx1 pros I had both needed motors replaced in less than a year.same with my lx3tc.i take care of my flashers too.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Feb 23, 2018, 08:36 AM »
Slayerfish, it’s always a good feeling when things work the way there supposed to.

Yah just relating my experiences with my LX-5.  Some vocal Marcum haters on here.  ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 23, 2018, 08:45 AM »

Maybe he could trade it in for a FLX28 with a PV ducer  and a Tri Beam, I hear that’s the hot setup.

Offline Ole Sam

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 23, 2018, 08:48 AM »
Sent my LX5 back for repairs two years ago - motor issue.  Though it was out of warranty, Marcum fixed it for free.  The experience with their customer service was first rate.  The unit has performed without a hitch since then.  I've read negative reports about Marcum here, but my experience does not bear this out.
Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish. - Mark Twain

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #11 on: Feb 23, 2018, 09:01 AM »
Maybe he could trade it in for a FLX28 with a PV ducer  and a Tri Beam, I hear that’s the hot setup.
haha.only need one or the other.no need to buy both ducers like a lot of people think.lol

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 23, 2018, 09:52 AM »
knew the doc would be in here making sure everyone knew he had to return 3 units.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #13 on: Feb 23, 2018, 10:05 AM »
why not? its a Marcum repair thread..just letting the op know my personal experiences with Marcum.some have good luck,some bad.i might try a Marcum digital some day but wont get another vx1pro,lx3tc or lx5.i did  notice I'm in alot of the Marcum threads even tho I no longer have one.lol

Offline Maguire

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 23, 2018, 10:28 AM »
I’m always amazed how some feel they need to read between the lines rather than reading the lines.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #15 on: Feb 23, 2018, 11:11 AM »
all i can speculate is if it were an ongoing situation this place would have a lot more m5 problem posts.

if it were me in your shoes i would contact them and ask what parts went bad and if it is a common issue and why do they think they went bad and what they plan to stop it from happening again. it's too new for us to know any thing other than what your saying to us about them.

Email: [email protected]
    Toll-free calls: 1-888-778-1208
    Local calls: 763-512-3987

i always have had great communications and they gave my a free transducer when i cut mine for no charge, not even shipping. never had any negative experience with them or their service. i call any time i want more information and they enjoy talking about their products and ice fishing.

i can say just the opposite for a different brand and because of that, i wanted a different brand and type of sonar and have been with marcum ever since. they were the leaders in digital ice fishing sonar. still are as far as i know.

Offline GP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 23, 2018, 11:27 AM »
Was thinking of getting either a M3 or M5 at the end of the season. But these Marcum issues that keep coming up here have me thinking twice about it.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 23, 2018, 11:40 AM »
buddy sent in his lx6 last friday after dropping it...his fault.  they replaced the part necessary and even replaced the ducer.  its an OG lx6 on of the originals from like 6 years ago or so.  it just showed up fixed today. 

thats pretty freaking good turn around time for me. 

Offline fowlhookedny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 23, 2018, 12:58 PM »
I love my Marcum, but the situation I am currently in has put a bit of a bad taste in my mouth.  I have a one year old LX-7 that started not being able to read anything.  It would read a static 2ft no mater where you were and was very flashy(like a strobe light).  I sent it in and got it back much quicker than I thought! I turned it on just figuring I would test out the simulator mode as that malfunctioned with the original problem, and it was still not working!  Took it to the lake the next day and it was doing the same exact thing from before I sent it in...How do you not test a unit before it is sent back to the customer???  Good thing my back-up LX-5 has never given me a problem or I would be even more frustrated!

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #19 on: Feb 23, 2018, 09:26 PM »
Marcum's you either get a good one or a bad one it seems like.
They're nice units though.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.