Author Topic: SHAPPELL FX100I. FIRST GLANCE! (UPDATED)  (Read 50977 times)

Offline laer0302

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: SHAPPELL FX100I. FIRST GLANCE! (UPDATED)
« Reply #180 on: Nov 06, 2018, 09:52 PM »
I installed the poles, (even though I am short some of the rubber washers) and put the one seat riser I got in. I was having the exact same problem the seat rails not lining up with the riser, Im also having issues getting the pole frame brackets to line up with the riser. I loosened all the seating bolts and wondered if I installed the riser upside down, nothing was making them line up.   The seat itself seemed wide but didnt think about it since I still dont have the second riser, and everything else wasn't fitting. Really thinking I should have just found someone to sew the missed seam on the silver pole version, and sprayed it with some waterproofer and been done.

I'm going to see what shappell says when I call them tomorrow, but I'm tempted to just return the whole dang thing. Maybe invest in a Clam Legend XL instead.

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #181 on: Nov 06, 2018, 10:26 PM »
Laer0302, I've had the same thought a few times today. If I still had a box for it, I probably would have called SG to see if I could just return it. Usually ice fishing and tinkering are my happy place, tonight trying to build this I've been VERY annoyed.

Offline laer0302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #182 on: Nov 06, 2018, 10:39 PM »
Laer0302, I've had the same thought a few times today. If I still had a box for it, I probably would have called SG to see if I could just return it. Usually ice fishing and tinkering are my happy place, tonight trying to build this I've been VERY annoyed.

Same here. Every step of the way there was an issue. From the missing part, to absolutely nothing installing correctly. I wonder if they had left over parts from the first iteration of the fx100i, but thought they should work with this version or something, and just used up those parts? I dunno, it's just how off everything is. Who knows, maybe it's the wrong sled or something.

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #183 on: Nov 06, 2018, 10:53 PM »
Same here. Every step of the way there was an issue. From the missing part, to absolutely nothing installing correctly. I wonder if they had left over parts from the first iteration of the fx100i, but thought they should work with this version or something, and just used up those parts? I dunno, it's just how off everything is. Who knows, maybe it's the wrong sled or something.

You literally just read my mind... I was wondering if the sled wasn't drilled to to spec or something. The silver bar version was exactly the same except it didn't have the four holes on the rail for the pole frames to mount to. The other parts were all a different kind of tube from what these are.

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #184 on: Nov 06, 2018, 11:41 PM »
Anyone far enough along to have put their cover on yet? I just decieded to try it. The front of the tent is huge compared to the frame. The fishable area in the front is like 2ft smaller than the silver tube version because it sags in so much. All the velcro is tight, the back is held tight with clams and the front folding braces are locked opened, but it just sags back into the seat. In the wind this thing will be a danger to rod tips and annoying as hell while slapping around. Im gonna say it right now, IF YOU GET THE BLACK BAR VERSION, RETURN IT. They need to do some major redesigns and testing before this tent is worth any of this aggravation.

Offline laer0302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #185 on: Nov 07, 2018, 12:02 AM »
Anyone far enough along to have put their cover on yet? I just decieded to try it. The front of the tent is huge compared to the frame. The fishable area in the front is like 2ft smaller than the silver tube version because it sags in so much. All the velcro is tight, the back is held tight with clams and the front folding braces are locked opened, but it just sags back into the seat. In the wind this thing will be a danger to rod tips and annoying as hell while slapping around. Im gonna say it right now, IF YOU GET THE BLACK BAR VERSION, RETURN IT. They need to do some major redesigns and testing before this tent is worth any of this aggravation.

Geeze, yeah, I'm just gonna return mine I think, not even gonna bother with calling Shappell. Gonna go with the Clam Legend XL probably.

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #186 on: Nov 07, 2018, 12:09 AM »
I tried pulling the excess tent down under the bottom frame rail, it tightens it up some but still not enough to remove the sag. Even then it would have to be screwed to the plastic corners or cut and zip tied to really stay where it is in the pics. It needs the holes for the folding brace to be moved, even then I think the material on the sides would still be loose.   If anyone has a solution, I'm all ears.

I'll be calling Eagleclaw again in the morning, and unless they have some answers I'll probably also call SG to see if they will take it back. I liked the silver tube version but I wouldn't chance this again. >:(

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #187 on: Nov 07, 2018, 04:55 AM »
How about making a spreader poles , I made them to tighten up my Kenai

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #188 on: Nov 07, 2018, 06:12 AM »
I'm looking to replace the 20 year old Clam Scout I have and was considering the fx100i.  After reading this entire post on it, I won't consider it anymore.  I'm sorry you guys are having so many problems but glad you have posted them.   I will start looking at Clam or Eskimo products now.  The old Scout has served me well but I'd like something a little bigger.
You can observe alot by watching.
Yogi Berra

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #189 on: Nov 07, 2018, 06:54 AM »
Yeah sorry about the hassles guys but this new model fx100i looks like a cobbled up pos.i was going to buy one but not now.i thought the one 3300 got was the design i was going to buy but as soon as I heard there was a design change and comments on missing parts,weight change,ridiculous front zipper,cheap plastic corners and oversized tent for the frame..im out.guys shouldnt have to be the guinea pigs and those updated changes should be out for us to see before selling.jmo

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #190 on: Nov 07, 2018, 07:02 AM »
That sucks that you guys are having these issues.  I sure hope Shappell/Eagle Claw stands up and makes this right.  Looks like QC and R&D went out the door when Eagle Claw came in.  Too bad, Shappell always had a decent icefisher following.
I had a 150 that I liked (for size) but sold it when I realized I really wanted an insulated tent in a quickflip.

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #191 on: Nov 07, 2018, 07:05 AM »
How about making a spreader poles , I made them to tighten up my Kenai

I wanted a lightweight, quick run and gun flipover. This is turning out to be none of that. Its heavier, its missing pieces, pieces dont match the parts list, its not lining up, powdercoat is to thick to slide tubes together you have to beat/scrape them to get them together, the tent is way to large compared to the front portion of the frame. I went to school for product design, I work construction maintenance, and fabricate custom stuff often. I'm used to "modifying" things to make them work, this has been a bad joke. I went to bed annoyed, and woke up pissed just thinking about it. I have hours into trying to build this thing already and it sucks. I feel bad returning it because its not SG's fault but I dont want it, its junk. I dont want to risk a nice rod tip to a tent that is gonna flap like a flag in the wind. I have a 2 man Shappell flip and an Eskimo Quickfish3I that I'll continue to use. I'm not a fan of Clam's products, their quality in my opinion had dropped but I'd definitely take one of their tents over this. 

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #192 on: Nov 07, 2018, 07:11 AM »
I will say I did like the silver tube version, I'm hoping that EagleClaw can locate one (that all the seams are sewn correctly on) somewhere and will swap me.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #193 on: Nov 07, 2018, 07:19 AM »
All of this makes me glad I kept my fx50 windbreak (Rover style). It's not insulated but keeps the wolf out, lightweight (27#) and well built (pre- Eagle Claw).
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Fishwacker1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #194 on: Nov 07, 2018, 07:22 AM »
I jumped on the sportsman’s guide model when it was first offered. I received the silver tube version and all parts were supplied for assembly. After reading these posts I’m very happy with this being my first one man shelter.  Just sharing a positive experience since mine has no defects.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #195 on: Nov 07, 2018, 07:27 AM »
I have a pre eagle claw shappell fx100.i wanted the same thing but with a thermal tent..thats it.i will not be buying one at all after reading this thread.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #196 on: Nov 07, 2018, 07:31 AM »
Man, this has turned into such a trainwreck..

The original FX-100 might be the single most endorsed shelter ever. It covered everything, lightest, strongest, made in the USA, no other one man flip could touch it..

Now it's looking like something to run from, a real shame..

<°)))>{

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #197 on: Nov 07, 2018, 07:33 AM »
I have a pre eagle claw shappell fx100.i wanted the same thing but with a thermal tent..thats it.i will not be buying one at all after reading this thread.

My thoughts as well!

<°)))>{

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #198 on: Nov 07, 2018, 08:58 AM »
Boy I'm considering packing mine back up before I even attempt to put it together and before I throw the box away. This whole tent being huge makes me nervous.  :tipup:

Offline laer0302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #199 on: Nov 07, 2018, 09:05 AM »
Yeah, I'm so frustrated with the whole dang process with this shelter. Was looking forward to modding it up and customizing it, and now have to deal with the hassle of un-assembling it and packing the thing back up, and sending it back. At least I saved the box... Then have to pick out a new shelter, have it delivered, and assemble it, and first ice is right around the corner here in MN. Ugh.

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #200 on: Nov 07, 2018, 09:19 AM »
Yeah, I hear ya....the problem is picking out something new. Maybe I'll just go with the FX100 unless they changed the frame design of that. Or I'll look into something else. Anyone have any idea how much weight you can ditch from a flip over if you don't use the boat seat?

Offline laer0302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #201 on: Nov 07, 2018, 09:27 AM »
Ice Runner has a new single man house this year that intrigues me: https://www.icerunnerhouses.com/online-store/Ice-House-Escape-p118014439. Super lightweight, and plenty of head room, but I'm a little leery of being a "guinea pig" again on another brand new shelter model this year.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #202 on: Nov 07, 2018, 09:32 AM »
I love my Clam Blazer Stealth thermal. I haul it into the boundary waters and it is light and strong.

I have a second Flip-over for fishing outside the Boundary Waters that I can pull with my SnowDog.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline BigSling

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #203 on: Nov 07, 2018, 09:36 AM »
I jumped on the sportsman’s guide model when it was first offered. I received the silver tube version and all parts were supplied for assembly. After reading these posts I’m very happy with this being my first one man shelter.  Just sharing a positive experience since mine has no defects.

I'm in the same boat. I'd been following FX100i news since last year and hopped on the deal early this year. I guess I lucked out and got the silver-tube version with all parts included. Hoping things turn out well for those that have received this 'updated' version and that Shappell gets things turned around quickly.

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #204 on: Nov 07, 2018, 09:48 AM »
Ice Runner has a new single man house this year that intrigues me: https://www.icerunnerhouses.com/online-store/Ice-House-Escape-p118014439. Super lightweight, and plenty of head room, but I'm a little leery of being a "guinea pig" again on another brand new shelter model this year.

Jeez......$399.99.  I definitely won't be a guinea pig at that price.
You can observe alot by watching.
Yogi Berra

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #205 on: Nov 07, 2018, 09:58 AM »
Well, length is good and height ok but width at 30"? I'd give up a little in height just to have that extra elbow room. I like to turn around in either direction without bumping into anything. But that's just me. Decent price though.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #206 on: Nov 07, 2018, 10:11 AM »
I called shappell about an hour ago. They put me in contact with the guy who does imports, who helped with the design of this fx100i. I left him a voicemail, waiting to hear back. If they can get me a good condition silver tube version I would be happy.
I dont have a box, But I'll gladly go buy cardboard and make one just to not have this version.
I am a fan of the idea where I spend money once. I always research products,  and I usually pay more but try to get the best I can afford. I was so excited to see the deal for these a few months ago, Alittle disappointed when the silver one had a fist sized hole in the seam, but both Eagleclaw and SG were willing to work with me. If the black plastic corners hadnt fallen out when I pulled the tent out there is a chance I would have returned the new one without even knowing it or testing the new tent on the old frame.

Offline laer0302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #207 on: Nov 07, 2018, 10:22 AM »
Jeez......$399.99.  I definitely won't be a guinea pig at that price.

Yeah, if I were to go this route, I'd wait to see if Sportsman's Guide is going to carry them, (they have the other two ice runner models) then wait for a double discount coupon code day, and then order it. I'm probably gonna go with a Clam or Eskimo model though.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #208 on: Nov 07, 2018, 10:25 AM »
that flat roof on the ice runner shelter needs a pitch/slope or rain/snow will sit there and start leaking.jmo

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #209 on: Nov 07, 2018, 10:46 AM »
The skylight feature is funny.  I do like the rear entry.  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.