Author Topic: LITHIUM BATTERY CARE/INFO 2020  (Read 22033 times)

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
LITHIUM BATTERY CARE/INFO 2020
« on: Jan 01, 2020, 09:05 AM »
Nothing you can do safely to the battery regarding charging practices will "train" the battery to last longer or provide more runtime. It will only hold as much charge as it can based on what it was designed to hold and its stage of life, such as how old it is, how many times it's been charged and how aggressively it has been charged/discharged during it's time while in service. It will never hold more than it could immediately after manufacture and will lose capacity slowly over time, even if not used or charged. It will have lost the ability to hold a full rated capacity charge very shortly after being put into service, and in about 2 years will have lost enough capacity to be deemed as "end of life", which is about 20% of rated initial capacity lost, or the ability to hold only 80% of the initial rated capacity. Even a brand new battery if left on a shelf will be considered "end of life" after about 2-3 years due to its reduced capacity to hold a charge.

The only reason any recommendation has been made regarding draining a Lithium Ion battery is to reset the capacity level flags so it more accurately represents the battery levels at any given time. It is as said above completely protected during charging by a highly engineered charging system that shuts down charging to prevent overcharging. Draining the battery to 0% is never recommended by those who are giving proper advice. The phone shuts down at 0% to protect the battery from deep-discharge and potential permanent damage to the battery. This is a fail-safe mechanism as well, similar to the overcharge protection.

Getting the most from your battery depends on what you need it to do. If you are looking for the longest runtime with each charge so you can be away from any power source for extended periods, then charging with power off to 100% will maximize that charge, but it will add stress to the battery if done frequently and will shorten its lifespan. If you're looking to extend the life of the battery and are much less concerned about long breaks away from a power source, then charging more frequently and in partial charge cycles through the middle range of capacity rather than full charges is better. Charging from 30% to 70% and using in that range, rather than 5% to 100% and using in that range is less stressful on the battery chemistry.

The reasons are that Lithium Ion batteries prefer not to be kept at high voltage levels (at or near full charge), for long periods of time, but instead prefer to be held at near 50% instead. Also Lithium Ion batteries do not like to be deeply discharged either, such as 0% to 5%, and would much rather be charged once levels of 10% to 15% are reached. Both practices will add months or more to the overall lifespan of the battery.
(copied from another link)

for more information:
https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: LITHIUM BATTERY CARE/INFO 2020
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2020, 10:16 AM »

Thanks 3300

Offline Luckydog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2020, 03:47 PM »
Thank you for the advice.  I'd like my new lithium battery to last as long as possible.  Should I charge the battery to 100% at the end of the season for summer storage?  The charger I bought doesn't show percentage charged.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2020, 09:29 PM »
which lithium do you have? if it's the 12 volt for sonar then yes. always charge it when you get home and it's up to temp. keep it top charged always. if it's 12 or 18 volt for tools then no. use your charger to discharge the battery if it's fully charged to 62% roughly. two solid bars with one flashing it close enough if you have four leds on the battery. leave the charger unplugged and insert the battery ino the charger to discharge it.

i didn't write that article, but wanted everyone to know more about the batteries they use.

Offline Luckydog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2020, 01:44 AM »
I have the 12 V for my vex.  I also have the 5A batteries for my Milwaukee drill. Sounds like I need to treat them differently.  I appreciate the advice on how to discharge the drill batteries at the end of the season.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2020, 06:16 AM »
which lithium do you have? if it's the 12 volt for sonar then yes. always charge it when you get home and it's up to temp. keep it top charged always. if it's 12 or 18 volt for tools then no. use your charger to discharge the battery if it's fully charged to 62% roughly. two solid bars with one flashing it close enough if you have four leds on the battery. leave the charger unplugged and insert the battery ino the charger to discharge it.

i didn't write that article, but wanted everyone to know more about the batteries they use.

Odd. I had a Milwaukee 2ah in an unplugged charger for the last 4 months and it was still fully charged when I pulled it out last week. Didn’t discharge a thing. Still says 4 bars as I look at it now.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2020, 04:05 PM »
Odd. I had a Milwaukee 2ah in an unplugged charger for the last 4 months and it was still fully charged when I pulled it out last week. Didn’t discharge a thing. Still says 4 bars as I look at it now.

bummer deal, ridgid discharges in the charger. other way would be to watch it take a charge at end of season or when you don't want to store them fully charged and pull the plug when the third light starts blinking. another way would be to drain off some charge in their light or power adapter or other tool. hard to do on a 12 volt power tool lithium. you'd have to look up voltages to find what voltage 62% would translate over to.

i use mine year round, so i'm good keeping them topped off and they are under a lifetime warranty.

my dji drone uses smart batteries that self discharge after ten days and is user adjustable, but ten days is what the manufacturer has set up.

Offline HWP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2021, 12:00 PM »
Any advice specific to the 40 volt on the Ion G2 auger? Top-offs after minimal previous day use or no?

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2021, 10:14 PM »
Shouldn't hurt to keep them topped up. I do on my daily batteries.

Offline regulator

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2021, 04:56 AM »
As the NORSK 15AH battery is out of stock, I settled for the 7.5AH. Just got it yesterday, out of the box it was at 51%. Put it on charger for 6 hours last night and it topped out at 87%. I do like the 2A charger, as it has a status indicator light that goes from red to green during the charge cycle. Assuming that once it goes green, the charger switches into maintenance mode. To make a long story longer, I will give it a test run this weekend with my Lowrance Elite LCD, and will see how much run time I get out of it from the 87% charge.

Offline regulator

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2021, 04:48 AM »
Fished yesterday. After 4 hours, battery went from 87% to 65% - 12.3V - 11.1 V. Pretty sure I could have got another 4 hours.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 14, 2021, 12:31 PM »
Just a note for those on this thread that have Ridgid batteries with LSA.

This week I had a battery go dead in about an hour of fishing. I had taken it off the charger, and the charger was not blinking, which means "full" I was using it on my Garmin 73SV ice kit- which I had done the week before without issue. I set a voltage alarm on the Garmin, and switch batteries if it gets down to 16V, which should be 1V higher than the batteries internal limit. This time it just went dead without warning, and the unit shut down

I got home, put it on the charger, and it started charging, but when I came back to it, it signaled a bad battery.

I looked on line, and in my warranty summary, which is 3 pages long, I could not find the battery listed.

I called Ridgid battery warranty service, got a nice lady, and she asked me for the serial number of the battery. She said is was part of a kit, and needed the number of the tool it came with. I found it was a 3/8 drill that I had gotten free as an LSA replacement, and I never registered it, partly because I felt like Ridgid no longer owed me for this drill. I got the original drill in 2005, and when the Ni-cad batteries died, they gave me 2 new 3 AH lithiums and a new charger. The trigger switch dies around 2012, they fixed that, and when the gear box broke this year, they gave me another 3/8 drill kit, with the battery that just died and another charger.

So- even though I didn't register, this was a free tool, and this battery was a bonus from previous drill replacement under LSA, they are sending me a replacement battery. I did not have to whine or complain, in fact once I knew that this was my free battery, I would have been happy to drop the whole thing.

Just a positive experience for those that might be wondering about the value of the LSA that you get with Ridgid tools and batteries.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.