Author Topic: Whitefish Lure  (Read 1193 times)

Offline 2fishalot

• IceShanty Rookie
Whitefish Lure
« on: Jan 29, 2014, 02:27 PM »
Is a 4 1/4 inch William's Whitefish lure too large for whitefish ? I bought two of them thinking they were the smaller lure ( 3 1/4 inch).... going up to Higgins Lake to try for whitefish in Michigan, but posted the question in Ontario, because I know there are more people in Canada going after whitefish.

Also, what is the best hook size for whitefish ?

Offline spudsaway

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Whitefish Lure
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2014, 05:30 PM »
Not to large..  I would tie off a single hook 12 or 18 inches up from this lure for small minnow tail hooked..

I would also tie a pearl dropper off the bottom of it for Whitefish and use a Treble about 1/2 inch across.  Then I would take off the main treble altogether..  The Full spoon is more of a laker bait..  To use it for Whitefish you have to make it a competition thing..  The Lure is a Whitfish or Herring Imitation for laker.. As a Whitefish Lure you Need Another White fish to look at the Lure as competition for the food in the area  ..  The Lure Chases the pearl dropper so a Whitefish will beat it to the Hook, Or the Minnow Above is within striking distance so the Fish will beat him to it.. Very effective ..   Start By Turning up the Bottom the pull it up a foot or soo then jigg easy.. Hit bottom from time to time..   

Good Luck

Offline 2fishalot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2014, 10:23 AM »
Thank you spudsaway ! I can tell what you mean..... I google imaged a "whitefish rig" and everything you said falls into place. Excellent advice... thanks !

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2014, 11:37 AM »
With a dropper rig it should be fine but if using the spoon as is it may be a little large.
Not sure of the average Higgins Lake whitefish but I suspect it's not as large as Lake Simcoe.

Living proof that "beer builds better bellies"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.