Author Topic: Battery not charged for 12 months...  (Read 1379 times)

Offline Iceman Cometh

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Walker
Battery not charged for 12 months...
« on: Dec 14, 2008, 11:20 AM »
I haven't charged my battery on my lowrance X67-C for 12 months, though it did have a full charge when I put it away---could this have damaged it in any way?
"If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, Infinite." --- William Blake

"There are things known and things unknown...in between are THE DOORS." --- Jim Morrison

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
Re: Battery not charged for 12 months...
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2008, 12:22 PM »
Just make sure it has a full charge before you go out. It may shorten the life of the battery somewhat but they last a long time before they won't hold a charge at all.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2008, 06:39 AM »
Just a suggestion also, Invest in a good maintenance charger, any of the major brands will work....I keep mine hooked up to it once a month in the off season, and 24/7 when not in use in season. Just plug it in and foreget it.....

Offline jiggleystickens

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2009, 08:02 PM »
Also a suggestion. Pick up one of the battery chargers with a recondition mode. It's just a pulse charge that breaks up the sulfates hardened on the lead plates. If the battery sits too long it will become "sulfated"  often a 24 hour series on recondition mode or two will have your old battery as good as new.  I've been able to power my wheelhouse, boat, four wheeler and 2 vexilars for 5 years now, on batteries that friends were going to throw away because they wouldn't accept a full charge.

Offline fishslayer37

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2009, 09:31 PM »
Did same thing with my aqua vu went to go use it a month ago and nothing was charged... battery was bad..if it wont turn on i would suggest just getting a new battery and get it done with... its not worth the hassle.  battery is only like 20 bucks.
A good finesse bass fisherman, makes a good walleye fisherman

Offline Scott Steil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2009, 09:07 AM »
I agree, batteries are cheap and most likely you will have lost some of the life from your battery.  Give it a full charge and then use it.  You will notice a decrease in battery life if there is an issue.  I like to get new batteries every couple years and keep the old ones for back-ups.  Give them a charge or two over the off season and they will last a lot longer.

Scott Steil

Offline fishingrip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2009, 05:09 PM »
Buy an Optimate 4 battery charger it will charge, desulphate and ultimately  let you know weather the battery is worth saving .It will bring batteries with at least 2 amps back to" as new " condition .I bought 4 of them this year and already recovered 3 of my deep cycle boat batteries that weren't used in two years . Google it,it's cheaper than buying new batteries.     Kevin
If your going to go out with the boys,You better get up with the men.

Offline fishslayer37

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2009, 01:38 PM »
how much is this new battery you can find for 17 dollars?
A good finesse bass fisherman, makes a good walleye fisherman

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.