Author Topic: Drill + 10" bit  (Read 2621 times)

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
Drill + 10" bit
« on: Feb 20, 2018, 07:22 AM »
Who's using one?  What option did you go with?   Looks like there could be a few augers that might work.  I would love a 10" KDrill, but of course it will actually only be 9.5.  :)

Even if I can only make a few 10" holes in a couple feet of ice that would be fine.  I can charge it in my truck if need be. 

I do a lot of Sturgeon fishing and I've discovered that overlapping 3 8" holes works fine until you get about 20" of ice then it really starts to suck getting everything lined up and straight...  I'd rather do 1 (or maybe 2)  10" instead.   

Yeah, yeah, yeah.  I know I can get a 10" with a petro powerhead or an ION or some other Elec version.   I already have the drill, so more interested in bit only options. 

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Re: Drill + 10" bit
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2018, 08:12 AM »
Who's using one?  What option did you go with?   Looks like there could be a few augers that might work.  I would love a 10" KDrill, but of course it will actually only be 9.5.  :)

Even if I can only make a few 10" holes in a couple feet of ice that would be fine.  I can charge it in my truck if need be. 

I do a lot of Sturgeon fishing and I've discovered that overlapping 3 8" holes works fine until you get about 20" of ice then it really starts to suck getting everything lined up and straight...  I'd rather do 1 (or maybe 2)  10" instead.   

Yeah, yeah, yeah.  I know I can get a 10" with a petro powerhead or an ION or some other Elec version.   I already have the drill, so more interested in bit only options.

Only two 10in that are out that can be turned by a drill to my knowledge is the 10in nils which is $360 then $198 for a spare cutting head. The other is finding an ancient 10in Mora hand auger. 10in mora blades are hard to find.

I emailed a lot of the companies. K-drill isn't looking to bring anything bigger then what they have. None of the companies are looking to release a 10in mora.....or re release it.

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2018, 08:35 AM »
I use a 10 in. Nils on a Clam plate with the 1:2 gear box.  Works fine. The drill is a Milwaukee 2704. I normally use a Nils 8 in. and switch to a 10 in. when conditions warrant.  This combination works just as well with either size auger.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2018, 10:28 AM »
$500+ for Nils and spare head?   Yikes.   

Thanks for the info.   

I did watch a pretty good vid of the 40v Strikemaster turning a 10" head in 4ft of ice.  That seems like a pretty good option too. 

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2018, 10:31 AM »
You might want to take a look at the Milwaukee Mud Mixer. With one of the 9 amp hour battery’s.
And get a 10” bit of your choice.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2018, 11:03 AM »
I've read a few thread about the Mud Mixer overheating...

The Drill I have now works great with the 8" KDrill and I expect it would turn a 10" acceptable enough for the few holes I need it for.   I just wish there was more out there available to try.

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2018, 11:33 AM »
I've read a few thread about the Mud Mixer overheating...

Huh?  I'd be interested in reading those if you can point me in the right direction.  I did a TON of research before I bought mine and never ran across a negative comment or review on IS or anywhere else for that matter.  I'd like to know under what circumstances they overheated.  It's also reasonable to assume that if someone were pushing a Mud Mixer hard enough to make it overheat, that the same might happen with the 2704 drill under the same circumstances/conditions.  The batteries are designed to shut down under extreme load for self preservation.  This is not the same as the tool overheating.

No biggie if you can't remember...  The Mud Mixer has worked fantastic for my purposes and that all that really matters to me.

DN 
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2018, 11:49 AM »
Huh?  I'd be interested in reading those if you can point me in the right direction.  I did a TON of research before I bought mine and never ran across a negative comment or review on IS or anywhere else for that matter.  I'd like to know under what circumstances they overheated.  Its also reasonable to assume that if someone were pushing a Mud Mixer hard enough to make it overheat, that the same might happen with the 2704 drill under the same circumstances/conditions.  The batteries are designed to shut down under extreme load for self preservation.  This is not the same as the tool overheating.

No biggie if you can't remember...  The Mud Mixer has worked fantastic for my purposes and that all that really matters to me.

DN

X2

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
« Reply #8 on: Feb 20, 2018, 12:56 PM »
Wow, I cannot believe that the "little hole geeks" and not pooping all over this post saying that no one needs a 10 inch hole and how dangerous they are.
Long live the 10 inch hole!!!!
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 20, 2018, 01:04 PM »
What sort of drill are you using now?
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 20, 2018, 01:49 PM »
Right now I'm using a DeWalt 996 with a KDrill.  Works great, but like i said 3 overlapping holes through 26" of ice is a lot harder to do than you might think  LOL 

It's almost like boats right?   One is never perrfect for everything.   A guy really needs 2.  :)

Offline ronco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 20, 2018, 03:16 PM »

Here's lots of info on a 10" mora;

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=347276.0
The secret to fishing.....fish where the fish are.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 20, 2018, 07:35 PM »
I run a 10” Nils, Milwaukee Super Hawg and 9 ah batteries. Mud mixer is twice the tool as a 2704 in my opinion. Have not tried the mud mixer on the 10” yet. The other day, my 8” Nils was kicking the crap out of my 2704 in 2’ of hard ice. Gonna throw the 2704 on the 6” from now on and throw the mixer on the 8”. Without a gearbox of some sort, a guy will be very disappointed with a 2704 on about a foot or more of ice with a 10” bit. Just an opinion. Buy the Nils and cry once. I would buy it again in a minute if mine ever was lost or lifted. She is definitely heavy, so keep that in mind as well. Good luck!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 20, 2018, 09:34 PM »
You might want to take a look at the Milwaukee Mud Mixer. With one of the 9 amp hour battery’s.
And get a 10” bit of your choice.

I think the point of this is he has a Milwaukee drill to turn it, and just wants a 10in for a few holes. Buying a nils 10in auger, then the mud mixer for a power head.....well a guy would be in $550 for the nils and spare head then another $200 for a mud mixer.....$750 is a bit much.....he can buy an ion, strikemaster, or a gas auger and be well under the $750 mark. Plus I don’t know how many guys would have much use for the mud mixer off season......where a drill is always handy.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 20, 2018, 09:41 PM »
I run a 10” Nils, Milwaukee Super Hawg and 9 ah batteries. Mud mixer is twice the tool as a 2704 in my opinion. Have not tried the mud mixer on the 10” yet. The other day, my 8” Nils was kicking the crap out of my 2704 in 2’ of hard ice. Gonna throw the 2704 on the 6” from now on and throw the mixer on the 8”. Without a gearbox of some sort, a guy will be very disappointed with a 2704 on about a foot or more of ice with a 10” bit. Just an opinion. Buy the Nils and cry once. I would buy it again in a minute if mine ever was lost or lifted. She is definitely heavy, so keep that in mind as well. Good luck!

Wonder if the blades are getting dull. My 2704 cut like butter with my 8in nils on Bitter a few weeks ago in 30in of hard ice. I ran the 10in mora on 2 ft of hard ice without clearing shavings and it worked fine for 5 holes back to back.

If clam comes out with a solid gear box, I’ll be getting one just for peace of mind with the 10in......if not I think I can get by with the 2704.......

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 20, 2018, 10:09 PM »

I guess I left out of my earlier post that I was in a situation like you are. What I wanted was a 10in auger to throw on my clam plate for drilling holes in the wheel house. Mainly because of freeze down on holes when it’s cold. What I didn’t want to do is spend a bunch of money doing it. Mainly because It would just get used cutting holes in the wheel house & was more for luxury.

Prospector told me about the nils 10in turning with a 2704.....I was game until I seen it was $360 for the auger and $198 for the spare head. Plus they are hard to find and will never be on sale. I didn’t feel like dropping $560

So that left either finding an old 10in mora hand auger....or trying an Ion 10in bit. I was patient and it took a few months. Due to the great guys on the fours they put me on one that was in good shape. It cleaned up great 👍. I was very lucky, and got the very last new old stock 10in mora blade cover that they had. I was also very lucky that I found a new set of 10in blades of Amazon & another member was able to get me 2 new old stock sets of blades from a bait store. So I should be set for a number of years. I believe they quit making 10in mora blades in about 1980. For your own sanity I would suggest not going this route. I got extremely luck and I am about $180 into it. Parts and blades are difficult if not impossible to find. I did try a set of HT polar fire 10in blades. While I got them to fit and work, the pitch was way more aggressive and was to much for the 2704 to turn.

I think about the only other option might be to look at/try the Ion 10in auger bit. I’m not sure how aggressive the cut is....might be something to check out.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 20, 2018, 10:11 PM »
Wonder if the blades are getting dull. My 2704 cut like butter with my 8in nils on Bitter a few weeks ago in 30in of hard ice. I ran the 10in mora on 2 ft of hard ice without clearing shavings and it worked fine for 5 holes back to back.

If clam comes out with a solid gear box, I’ll be getting one just for peace of mind with the 10in......if not I think I can get by with the 2704.......
My blades might be needing some attention. I wonder if the drill is getting a little weak as well. I was surprised that I had problems with it the other day.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 21, 2018, 07:13 AM »
Yes correct, i was just looking for a something I could throw on my Drill and get a few 10" holes.  If I wanted to dump a bunch of money I would just buy the SM 40v unit.  It looks like the real deal.   Has anyone tried the SM powerauger 10" with a drill?     

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #18 on: Feb 21, 2018, 07:21 PM »
My blades might be needing some attention. I wonder if the drill is getting a little weak as well. I was surprised that I had problems with it the other day.

I'm guessing the blades are starting to dull. My 725in/lb Milwaukee turned the 8in nils just fine....so if the 1200in/lb was getting weak I think you'd have to have dropped 475in/lbs of torque before you'd notice it on the 8in nils. I've got a 6in lazer that I bought off craigslist I've used for a few years. The blades are starting to get dull and it is starting to turn really hard. Actually seems to work the drill more then my 8in nils or 10in mora. I've got a set of new blades was just going to try an make the end of the year with it. It really just kinda blows me away how sharp the blades feel to the touch even when they become dog chit dull for cutting ice.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #19 on: Feb 21, 2018, 07:36 PM »
Yes correct, i was just looking for a something I could throw on my Drill and get a few 10" holes.  If I wanted to dump a bunch of money I would just buy the SM 40v unit.  It looks like the real deal.   Has anyone tried the SM powerauger 10" with a drill?     

I haven't heard of anyone. I believe the power auger bits are built heavier and they would take an adaptor to pair up to the shaft off the clam plate. A number of guys have asked and thought about trying 8in power auger bits on the fourm. However, I don't think any of them did because of the basic things.

1. An adaptor would need to be made costing decent money
 2. A used or new mora hand auger runs $20-40 to put on it.
 3. Fear of burning up a drill

I'm really kinda suprised one of the companies doesn't re release the 10in mora hand auger. With a gear box and clam plate I think it would sell fairly well for wheelhouse guys and big trout fisherman.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #20 on: Feb 23, 2018, 11:55 PM »

I looked at some 10in Ion blades. They don't look to agressive. I think it's a good chance the Ion 10in auger bit would work pretty well.....my e try one.

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #21 on: Feb 24, 2018, 12:02 PM »
I haven't heard of anyone. I believe the power auger bits are built heavier and they would take an adaptor to pair up to the shaft off the clam plate. A number of guys have asked and thought about trying 8in power auger bits on the fourm. However, I don't think any of them did because of the basic things.

1. An adaptor would need to be made costing decent money
 2. A used or new mora hand auger runs $20-40 to put on it.
 3. Fear of burning up a drill

I'm really kinda suprised one of the companies doesn't re release the 10in mora hand auger. With a gear box and clam plate I think it would sell fairly well for wheelhouse guys and big trout fisherman.

It'd be "Wishful Thinking" to believe the Clam Gearbox would turn a 10"auger.
I found a 10" Mora on CL a few weeks ago $40. It has the folding handle so adapting it to a drive will need a long extension.
It's on my to-do list for next year.
The Milwaukee Quick-Lok looks to be the easiest way to adapt to the power. The quick disconnect feature is really nice when transporting the auger.
Leave Some For Seed

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #22 on: Feb 24, 2018, 07:56 PM »
The 2704 (1200in/lb) Milwaukee will turn the 10in mora without a gear box. I am doing it. The gear box will just make it easier to turn. So it's not wishful thinking at all. I did have an issue turning the 10in mora when I tried an aggressive set of 10in polar fire blades on it. Once I put on the less aggressive 10in mora blades it cut smooth. I looked at a pair of ion 10in blades. They look like they will work/fit  on the 10in mora and not near has aggressive has the HT polar fire 10in blades.

The 10in mora adaptor can be made for under $10 with a steel pipe. I made one from pipe myself.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.