Author Topic: Battery & Charger question  (Read 1595 times)

Offline OldCaveman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Battery & Charger question
« on: Jan 02, 2015, 04:56 PM »
  A few years back I bought a Jiffy Lectric ice auger. I only paid $200 for it during the summer. I love it until the battery dies which is usually after only about 5 or 6 holes depending on ice thickness. It is set up with a plug to plug in a 2nd battery. I have bought some matching plugs and made up a cord using #10 wire to run to a remote battery I will put in my Jet sled. I'm thinking I should get a sealed maintenance free battery that would be used for a ATV or tractor as I would like to avoid a large car style battery. Does anyone with battery experience have any suggestions on what 12v battery to use and what charger to get. The charger that came with the auger is only a 1 amp charger and I'm unsure if it would provide the power needed but I wouldn't want to overcharge the 2nd battery. Thanks for any info provided.
John

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Battery & Charger question
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2015, 05:00 PM »
Really you should charge the batteries separately anyway.  What's the  amp hour rating for the 2 batteries you have for the auger?

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline OldCaveman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2015, 05:12 PM »
Really you should charge the batteries separately anyway.  What's the  amp hour rating for the 2 batteries you have for the auger?

Rg

I guess I didn't write my post well. I don't have an amp rating for the auger battery supplied by Jiffy. Maybe I should call them and find out as there is no battery info in the manual. I'm going to buy a second battery and a charger to go with it. I'm thinking I want the highest amp rating in the smallest package as I can find.
John

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2015, 05:17 PM »
Try a lawn tractor battery--- ATV batteries don't seem to last and are very expensive compared to a lawn tractor battery.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2015, 05:20 PM »
You want a deep cycle battery and a stepped charger. The thinner plates of a starting battery can not handle repeated deep discharges that the auger will do. If every thing is working as it should, a larger charger will recharge the batteries faster (with in reason) and will not hurt the battery... A Charger "drives" voltage and just make the amperage available to the battery. 

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2015, 05:31 PM »
Well, that's why I asked. You can get a 55ah SLA if you want to, but do you need it? You need to know either, what the existing batteries are or the amperage draw  or horse power rating of the motor. Also, how far from the back up battery will the auger be? What type of # 10 wire are you using?

My point is why carry a 60 lb battery if you don't need to.

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2015, 05:39 PM »
I read once that these new type batteries should be charged after every use. Could be the PO didn't know that and let it drain down too far. Which would cause it to not hold much of a charge. Does Jiffy even sell any Electric Augers? Best to call them.
<===Lefty===

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2015, 05:52 PM »
Recharge all batteries after every use. Even older ones. There where some older nicad that you needed to run down, but not any more...

Offline OldCaveman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2015, 06:52 PM »
Try a lawn tractor battery--- ATV batteries don't seem to last and are very expensive compared to a lawn tractor battery.

Thanks Joe that is good to know

You want a deep cycle battery and a stepped charger. The thinner plates of a starting battery can not handle repeated deep discharges that the auger will do. If every thing is working as it should, a larger charger will recharge the batteries faster (with in reason) and will not hurt the battery... A Charger "drives" voltage and just make the amperage available to the battery. 

The manual says the permanent battery in the auger is deep cycle. Are the deep cycle made to be run down and then be recharged? I will stick with a deep cycle. As far as the charger I presently have a 8 or 4 amp charger that I use on my old Harley on occasion. That would probably work just fine it sounds.

Well, that's why I asked. You can get a 55ah SLA if you want to, but do you need it? You need to know either, what the existing batteries are or the amperage draw  or horse power rating of the motor. Also, how far from the back up battery will the auger be? What type of # 10 wire are you using?

My point is why carry a 60 lb battery if you don't need to.

Rg

I have a 15' piece of 10/3 copper SO cord for my extension cord. The price was right. The wiring on the plug appears to be either # 10 or 8. I will monitor the cord for heat when using, I'm hoping the 10 will do. I want nothing to do with a 60lb battery. I will try and get the highest AH rating in a reasonable weight.

Thanks for your input guys
John

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2015, 03:44 AM »
But the manual doesn't give you a rating for the battery? Again I ask because you can get some pretty powerful batteries in a small package these days. I have a couple of 12v 17 ah SLA batteries that will start my car. They weigh about 20 lbs. They're  considered deep cycle and designed for long periods of inactivity between uses.

So if you can figure out either what the existing battery is rated for or the HP of the motor is, you can size a power source much more accurately.

Rg

Offline OldCaveman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2015, 06:36 AM »
  Good morning RG. I rechecked the Jiffy manual again and couldn't find the motor or battery info you requested in the English version but I did find the battery info in the French version. The battery in the auger is a ETX9 battery. I googled and found this to be a glass mat battery that is 12volts & 8AH. What would you suggest as a secondary power source battery?  Thank you for your help
John

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2015, 09:07 AM »
At that rating the motorcycle battery might be an affordable option. I'd look for something with about a 20ah rating.

Good luck. Hope it works for you.

Rg

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 03, 2015, 09:15 AM »
I know they're a bit pricey, but last year looking for deep cycles, a lot of guys suggested wheelchair batteries, I guess they pack the most punch in a smaller package. Plus they're usually always AGM and sealed, great for travel.  Remember to always slow charge deep cycles with an automatic charger that will not over charge usually on a 2 or 4 amp charge.

Something like this I would suppose:

Offline Joe in T.C.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 03, 2015, 09:29 AM »
You may want to check out a store called "Batteries Plus Bulbs".

The have re-powered  my cordless drill batteries, electric shaver and cordless phones. usually with a better rated battery that will have more power and last longer.I have been very pleased with their products and service.

They even carry lithium stick batteries for my tip up lights and they are much brighter now than when they were brand new.

Offline OldCaveman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2015, 11:47 AM »

At that rating the motorcycle battery might be an affordable option. I'd look for something with about a 20ah rating.

Good luck. Hope it works for you.

Rg
  Thanks I now have a clear picture of what I'm looking for.

I know they're a bit pricey, but last year looking for deep cycles, a lot of guys suggested wheelchair batteries, I guess they pack the most punch in a smaller package. Plus they're usually always AGM and sealed, great for travel.  Remember to always slow charge deep cycles with an automatic charger that will not over charge usually on a 2 or 4 amp charge.

Something like this I would suppose:
(Image removed from quote.)

Nice looking battery but pricey isn't happening

Thanks to everyone that offered help
John

Offline OldCaveman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2015, 05:20 PM »
   I picked up a 26ah mag battery at my local auto parts store and was able to use a friends 20% discount. The new battery is totally sealed and weighs 19lbs. I used it this morning drilling thru 12" of hard black ice. On my third 9" hole the primary auger battery began to slow. I plugged in my new battery with my #8 copper extension cord. I drilled 13 holes and had no sign of my new battery faltering. I'm a happy guy. Thanks for the guidance
John

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.