Author Topic: how did everyone do this weekend  (Read 3349 times)

Offline ctfishermanct

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LET THERE BE ICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
how did everyone do this weekend
« on: Jan 20, 2008, 01:18 PM »
How did everyone do this weekend anyone have any ice reports

Offline Jigging Nomad

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jigging Nomad
Re: how did everyone do this weekend
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2008, 04:45 PM »
Three of us got out on Sunday on Savin Pond in Lebanon after we discovered that the lake we wanted to hit didn't have safe ice.
We were out from 8 until about 2. 

Between the three of us we jigged up a mixed bag of yellow perch, white perch, bluegill and one largemouth bass.  Nothing overly impressive, the biggest bluegill was 8.5" and the best perch was 12".  About 30 fish total.  There was 3" to 5" of ice and most fish came from 7' to 11' deep.   
Looking for JUMBO Perch, Crappie, and Bluegill

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2008, 07:18 PM »
I fished a cove on the CT river for 8 hours yesterday. No tip ups, just jigging. I was targetting golden shiners and took 33 for pike bait, one was 12"!. We had some nice crappie in the mix and too many bluegill and perch to count. I would guess it was well over 200 fish on the day.  ;D

Offline Kierran

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • theCTyankee.com
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2008, 08:16 PM »
That is some sexy pike bait dude.  Nice work.

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2008, 10:09 PM »
nice job blaine, good luck with the pike. :o
hard core fanatic  Http:
http://timeanddate.com/s/1a9j

Offline ctfishermanct

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LET THERE BE ICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2008, 06:33 AM »
nice blaine

Offline rocklobster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2008, 08:29 AM »
Fished Mt tom derby on sunday.  Big crowd, slow day.  Two picks and a small bass.  No trout ???  Blaine does that mean you've got big bait?
here pikey pikey...BIG DEAD BAIT...

Offline KAJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2008, 11:26 AM »
Wow !! That's one hell of a Golden shiner.

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2008, 01:00 PM »
  Blaine does that mean you've got big bait?

Would you believe that as I walked in the door a customer called looking for them? He came in that day and bought every last one of them. I may be able to get some more tomorrow... Not sure where I'm fishing yet ;)

Offline Imissedem

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2008, 05:11 PM »
I fished a cove on the CT river for 8 hours yesterday. No tip ups, just jigging. I was targetting golden shiners and took 33 for pike bait, one was 12"!. We had some nice crappie in the mix and too many bluegill and perch to count. I would guess it was well over 200 fish on the day.  ;DBlaine if you dont mind me asking but what do you actually use to jig up those goldens?I want to try it in my area.Thanks for any info.

(Image removed from quote.)

Offline Bigbait

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2008, 11:53 AM »
How did everyone do this weekend anyone have any ice reports

Thanks Blane Got 19.7 Pike 41.5" to cold to take pictures of the measurement didn t want to lay on the ice . Them pond shiners work wonder dead or alive . I ll send pictures soon Thanks Dan. My biggest of the year.

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2008, 03:12 PM »
All your pike have names... I call them Sasquatch. "often discussed but never seen" . I'll believe you when I FINALLY see the pics :D

Offline Imissedem

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2008, 05:57 PM »
Blaine whats the catch to catching those Goldens.Would like to try it here in R.I. Bait/jigs /Hook size I have actually try jigging for anything.

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2008, 09:40 AM »
I've done best by using a sabiki rig with the smallest hooks I can find. I sell some here at the shop that have #4's which are perfect. I've used 6's and 8's all worked great. In CT we're allowed a total of 3 baited hooks per line, so I cut my rig in half and use 2 rods. Each hook is tipped with a spike. I put a split shot on the bottom of the rig to get it down, almost like drop shotting. A spring bobber is an ABSOLUTE MUST HAVE! These fish bite so light, you'll never see the hit without one. Many days, I have to dead stick the rod with either a bucket or a rod holder becasue the hits are so subtle that I can't tell the difference between my heartbeat and a hit.

You'll catch a ton of other fish as well. We get bluegill, crappie, perch, etc...

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2008, 11:20 AM »
Hey Dan, I forgot... Your soft case for your LXi came in yesterday  ;)

Offline Imissedem

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2008, 03:27 PM »
I've done best by using a sabiki rig with the smallest hooks I can find. I sell some here at the shop that have #4's which are perfect. I've used 6's and 8's all worked great. In CT we're allowed a total of 3 baited hooks per line, so I cut my rig in half and use 2 rods. Each hook is tipped with a spike. I put a split shot on the bottom of the rig to get it down, almost like drop shotting. A spring bobber is an ABSOLUTE MUST HAVE! These fish bite so light, you'll never see the hit without one. Many days, I have to dead stick the rod with either a bucket or a rod holder becasue the hits are so subtle that I can't tell the difference between my heartbeat and a hit.

You'll catch a ton of other fish as well. We get bluegill, crappie, perch, etc...
Thanks for the info Blaine i`ll have to give it a try./Never jigged before.

Offline earlyrise

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 24, 2008, 06:08 AM »
Went to Mashapaug ice was 6-8 inches met a few people but no budy had any action.

Offline hrdwtr24

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 01, 2008, 05:59 PM »
I fished the Falls river in centerbrook with the kids  from 7:30 till 1:30 caught 10 yellow perch and 2 small  bass. 3 to 5" of ice.. fished wrights pond in westbrook sun. for a few hours in the morning and got a bunch of pickerel ice there was around 3 to 4" . hope to get out somewhere on sun. hope this rain doesn't screw the ice all up!!...Bob..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.