Author Topic: Two 6 inch holes or one 8 inch hole  (Read 2874 times)

Offline sconnieboy55

• IceShanty Rookie
Two 6 inch holes or one 8 inch hole
« on: Feb 01, 2019, 03:27 PM »
Thinking about getting a K-drill but not sure on size between the 6 inch and 8 inch.  I have heard about people overlapping holes to make a bigger one with the 6 inch bit.  Would you be better off getting a 6 inch and drilling 2-3 holes for when you are targeting bigger fish or getting an 8 inch and just have to drill one hole every time? Just curious as to what other people think

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Two 6 inch holes or one 8 inch hole
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2019, 03:41 PM »
Thinking about getting a K-drill but not sure on size between the 6 inch and 8 inch.  I have heard about people overlapping holes to make a bigger one with the 6 inch bit.  Would you be better off getting a 6 inch and drilling 2-3 holes for when you are targeting bigger fish or getting an 8 inch and just have to drill one hole every time? Just curious as to what other people think

I'd say it really depends on what fish you are targeting most often. If you are usually getting trout and perch I'd go with the 6". If you normally target pike, an 8". If you are going for big fish that are tough to get their heads turned up the hole, drill 2 or 3 holes holes together (go three quarters of the way on the first hole then finish the second and then go back to finish the first). Personally, I am not a big fan of big holes or multiple holes together because it increases the chance of someone getting hurt which is not a trade off I feel the need for when considering safety. So if you go drill multiple holes together, or have a large auger 10-12", be sure to mark your holes when you leave.
It doesn't sound that appealing to most people I talk to, but going out onto a frozen lake and staring into a hole for the day is my favorite thing to do.

Offline Jkoht

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2019, 04:25 PM »
Isn't the 8" k drill actually a 7.25"?

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2019, 10:04 PM »
I’d rather drill one hole regardless of size so I use an 8” auger. If I want a bigger hole (which has never been needed) I’d just drill two 8” holes. If I were to be exclusively targeting truly large trophy fish like huge pike/muskie, giant lake trout, or sturgeon, (which also has never been needed) I’d find a 10” gasser.

Unless you’re on a proven trophy lake or get that one in a million monster of the pond, there’s not many fish that won’t fit through an 8” hole. If the 8” k-drill is really 7.25”, I’d look for an actual 8” auger. I use a Lazer.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2019, 12:03 AM »
Crappie perch and gils a 6 on early ice is perfect but as the ice gets thicker you tend to get less good of a angle on the fish.. that's ware I would use a 8 on crappie perch and gills with 18 to 24 inches of ice.. then trying to get a crappie turned enough so it does not knock it self off.... from bumping the edge oppsite your pulling from.. some times thicker ice a 10 inch is not a bad idea...  they don't call them paper mouth bass for nothing.. there mouths rip like paper And pop off easily .. and bigger fish with a 8 inch don't be afraid to drill two or three holes helps get the correct angle to pull there head thew the ice.. but remember If you plan to drill holes in three bring some sticks or small tree branches to mark the holes and spearing holes same way .. this is why if you see stick in your path avoid the area..  so you don't take a plunge in the cold water.. neither do others want to take a plunge so mark large holes with sticks just to help others out..

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2019, 03:01 AM »
I avoid overlapping drill holes if I can help it.  There's extra hole cleaning time, that I don't want to be spending time on.  Thicker ice more ice shavings to scoop.

Bigger drill size is preference.  When it's cold and ice holes shut in, literally shrink up...smaller holes will close up faster.  I can't always pick the slightly warmer temps to go out ice fishing. 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline BlueDevil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2019, 09:09 PM »
I fish with 8” or 10” holes.  If I plan on running and gunning I use my 8”.  If I’m using tip ups or going to hunker down in an area I use my 10”.  I fish mainly Perch, Walleye or Northern Pike.
//.\\//.\\ark

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2019, 10:43 AM »
I heard the k-drill "8 inch" is actually 7.5". I imagine overlapping with k-drill is possible but would be hard on the drill.
It must be something in the water.

Offline fishEH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 03, 2019, 01:39 PM »
Always drilling two holes seems like a real pain. Just buy a true 8" auger and call it good.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2019, 01:50 PM »
I haven't caught a "good" fish yet that wouldn't come though a 6" hole. I guess if all I did was pike fish, I'd use an 8" all of the time. Last big fish needed four 6" holes to get it though, 20lb buffalo. 35" 13lb pike went right up a 6" hole with no issues, haven't hooked anything good bigger than that. 7" is a nice hole size, I wouldn't mind switching to a 7" for next year, just more room for the transducer is the only reason.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2019, 01:55 PM »
Remember that the area of the hole and hence volume of ice drilled per hole is proportional to the square of the diameter. An 8 inch hole has almost twice the area of a 6 inch (64/36) The torque will be greater, and so your chance of stalling. The battery used per hole will also be greater by the same amount. I have pulled a 36 inch laker out of a 6 inch hole, and 2.2 pound perch out of a 4.5 inch hole, so I am a minimalist, but if needing a large hole is only a sometimes thing, seems like you are giving up efficiency in favor of a "1 size fits all" solution.

:tipup:

Offline cajuntony

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 04, 2019, 06:39 AM »
Badger you are right on point the bigger the hole the more energy it takes to make that hole and besides most fish will fit through a 6-inch hold a buddy long time ago told me this

Offline sconnieboy55

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 08, 2019, 10:02 AM »
I might just split the difference. I have a 7 inch hand auger that I might just mount to my clam drill plate.  Run that for the rest of the year and see how she goes.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 08, 2019, 10:11 AM »
I heard the k-drill "8 inch" is actually 7.5". I imagine overlapping with k-drill is possible but would be hard on the drill.

Yep it is 7.5, but overlapping is not hard on the drill, its pretty much just like cutting any other hole.

Offline latremorej

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 09, 2019, 11:24 AM »
I might just split the difference. I have a 7 inch hand auger that I might just mount to my clam drill plate.  Run that for the rest of the year and see how she goes.

That's my set up... ryobi brushless hammer drill (750 inch lbs) 7" laser hand auger on a clam plate.  4Ahr bat lasts for a quite a while.  I have never drained two batteries in one day... yet.

I have family running the same auger with the Milwaukee m18 setup.  His drill is way nicer and lighter, but the CRyobi gets the job done

Jason

Offline Fishingjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 14, 2019, 02:19 PM »
Go with the 8 inch. Our hand augers were 6" but when we upgraded to a power auger over 15 years ago we went with a Jiffy 8 inch and were glad we did. Out here in Pa. we can't drill bigger than a 10 inch hole.

JG

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.