The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Kokes - ice vs open water  (Read 765 times)

Offline MissRappala

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Better than the best, get your rest.
Kokes - ice vs open water
« on: Jan 08, 2023, 10:10 AM »
Another newbie on the forum here, but not to fishing - been in love with the lifestyle since I was a kid!

Curious on how the attraction for Kokanee changes between open water fishing compared to jigging out of my ice hole not moving around directionally much? Thanks for any input! :)

Offline Jim F

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Kokes - ice vs open water
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2023, 10:17 AM »
Another newbie on the forum here, but not to fishing - been in love with the lifestyle since I was a kid!

Curious on how the attraction for Kokanee changes between open water fishing compared to jigging out of my ice hole not moving around directionally much? Thanks for any input! :)
It works about the same open or ice. Find the spots they like and have at it. I've had great luck using the exact same lures- boat or ice. Early morning usually best and some lakes have outstanding night fishing if you like solitude. Swedish pimples, Hali jigs, glow hooks, pink, green white, orange -tipped with maggots or white corn.
You can use corn for bait, but please do not chum with it to attract fish, they cannot digest corn and they WILL die. Use Zoom if you need to chum
Have fun!

EDIT:
need to add one thing, fund a bunch of friends! We've had better luck with a lot of people in a group.
All the action of lures moving around seems to keep them around

Get bit!

Offline MissRappala

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Better than the best, get your rest.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2023, 10:50 AM »
Thanks for the advice! I was able to get one up through the hole yesterday and had some others attracted but not committed to the bite. Enjoyed a beautiful afternoon to sunset at least. I’ll try to shoot my shot again this week hopefully @)

Offline njoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2023, 02:17 PM »
nice photo :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.