The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Tested the ice today  (Read 4375 times)

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
Re: Tested the ice today
« Reply #30 on: Jan 17, 2024, 07:59 AM »
That 16 incher would have been good seed for future generations.
There're more in there and I released several. Lot's of 12 - 15's too. Having said that, I and a bio buddy haven't got a 16 in there the past 2 years. 14s and 15s, yes...It's a big body of water...  Not much ice to fish there last year either...   That may be the end of that year class.  A couple of us have been trying to take the smaller ones in hopes of forestalling stunting. Years ago, all you could catch in there were 4 - 8". Something changed. Since then, the state record has been broken in there at least three times! I'm looking for the 17"!!! Maybe this year!
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Jan 17, 2024, 08:42 AM »
the problen with Yellow perch is every small female lays 23,000 eggs so if we throw back all our small perch the population gets so large theres not enough feed for many to grow bigger if we kept all our small ones a filleted them we would start to see some bigger fish, if they had fresh water shrimp to feed on it would be a big plus. only a few lakes have had them stocked,  Looks like 6" of ice now with 4" of fine dry snow on toptemp was 11 degs here in cumberland  county  northern has had much colder and 12" in this last storm,

Offline Brian VT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 19, 2024, 03:52 PM »
I just drilled a hole at the south east end of Upper Range. 7" of good ice. I would guess there'll be ATVs and snowmobiles out there this weekend (and maybe trucks, lol).

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Jan 19, 2024, 04:29 PM »
Yes i think your right on that, we were first ones out on lake other than a fox track

Offline maine_gunner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 21, 2024, 10:19 AM »
About 6 inches here 3 good ice and 3 slush ice

Offline Brian VT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 24, 2024, 09:16 PM »
8" on Upper Range today.
But only the bottom 5" is good ice. The top 3" is white ice. And that will likely go to crap with the warm forecast.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.