Connecticut > Ice Fishing Connecticut

New to sport

(1/2) > >>

haller4:
Just joined the forum, I'm relatively new to the sport, and looking for ideas where to fish for perch, crappie and bass.  Reside in Meriden and looking for spots relatively near by.

primepin65:
Welcome haller4!

And welcome to an activity that might eventually consume your cold weather thoughts!

A tip for getting the most out of this forum is to add your city/state to your profile, so members can give relevant recommendations based on your location.

The search feature can be helpful to find older topics for anything you want to learn.

once you post/comment 3 times on any topic, you will unlock the ability to see ice reports for lakes in your state.

feel free to reach out through private messages if you have any questions or need help!

Shawn

CL_Outdoors:
Welcome! The sport is incredibly addictive and your wallet will hurt in the beginning if you wanna do it right. Start off with a small pop up shanty, a flasher, a couple rods, an auger, and a small propane heater and youre off to a great start.

Generally you'll find crappie and bass in the same spots this time of year but that will change in about a month. Crappie will head to "bowls" in 20'-30' and suspend during Feb and March. For now youll find them relatively shallow 10-15' close to weed edges that still have green weeds. If you cant find any green or standing weeds in the shallows, go deeper.

Perch can be just about anywhere, just depends on the lake. Right now theyre still pobably shallow feeding close to where they were in late fall. In a few weeks, they will have transitioned to deeper water (~25-20') feeding on worms in the mud.

The internet is your friend when it comes to this sport. Research how fish relate to different structure as the season progresses and make sure you get a good contour map of the lakes you fish. A good fishing plan starts at home, combing these maps for potential spots. 80% of my youtube search history is ice fishing this time of year, and there are a lot of great videos that teach you presentation styles, locations, gear, etc.

Feel free to DM me as well if you have any other questions. Best of luck out there

dbarnum24:
For perch, I like finding muddy/silty bottoms in 7-15' of water. The perch come up on these flats to eat bloodworms and nymphs. Make sure there is some type of structure in the area where they branch off of to feed.

thndrvlly:
Welcome, if your not into eating fish check out Silver Lake in Berlin, close to Meriden and they got some nice Catfish in the lake. Check out the Ct fishing report and conditions page list all the lakes. Best of luck

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version