Author Topic: Cooks Bay report  (Read 12870 times)

Offline jeffw

• Team IceShanty Regular
Cooks Bay report
« on: Dec 14, 2005, 07:31 PM »
I went out on cooks bay off glenwoods for 15 min and caught to nice perch. The ice was 7" thick where I was fishing and the depth was 6.5'. I'm heading out on sat for a couple hours and going to try alittle deeper if the ice is safe enough.
Cheers Jeff

Offline Road Toad

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Cooks Bay report
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2005, 08:02 PM »
Hey Jeff, is Glenwoods on the east or west side of cooks bay?

Offline jeffw

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2005, 08:46 PM »
Glenwoods is on the east side but if your planning on going out soon be careful the ice isn't consistent and there are some weak spots. Cheers Jeff
PS if anyone is interested in joining me on saturday send me a email or a reply.

Offline lowerunit

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2005, 08:47 PM »
Hey Road Toad Glenwoods is on the East side of the lake in Keswick. Its about 1 -1.5 km south of Crates marina.

Frank

Offline lowerunit

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2005, 08:49 PM »
Boy Jeff you sure are quick on the replies, way to go ;D

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take what you want from what i post.
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2005, 02:32 PM »
Best to stick Out in FROnt of pine beach... Plus there is parking...

Pine beach is located North of glenwoods ave On lake drive....
Head out like 300-400 Metres and youll be in Nice pike and Perch action....
Hey Jeff what time u headed out at... and WHat will you be wearing lol....  I might try to catch up with ya for a hour or so... In bewteen my errends:>:> LOL
I live In town here anyhow so... Not to hard for me to run out for a hour or so...

TIght lines and ROad toad get ur ass over and out lol...

bye bye!!!
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

Offline jeffw

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2005, 04:38 PM »
Hey germ I should be heading out around 10 am unless I have to work sat. I will be wearing grey coveralls and a black jacket with grey and white. I might be out with my portable if its bad and if I can drag it out there, Hope to see ya out there.
Cheers Jeff

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2005, 07:13 PM »
will look for ya... i wear a red float jacket blue snow pants and usually a camo face toque mask... tight lines!!!
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

frozenfishy

« Reply #8 on: Dec 15, 2005, 07:20 PM »
Hey Guys,

I was thinkin about heading out myself on Sat about 11 or so. Maybe I'll see ya there. I was going to go to Guilford, but sounds like the ice is a little more solid that way. With no floater suit, who wants to be dead before xmas. Do you guys know anywhere around there to pickup minnows and what would you guys suggest... Kinda new to fishin on Cooks, but it's pretty close and open.

Thx.

FF

Offline jeffw

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2005, 08:26 PM »
I always get my minnows from harrys. He is on the queensway( leslie street) just over the river. You will see his shop below the restaurant. I always use teardrops tipped with plastic or a minnow. Its good to start off with minnows untill you get onto the fish. Come over and chat if you see me and I will let you know how I'm doing. Hope to see yaa out there.
Cheers Jeff

frozenfishy

« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2005, 10:01 PM »
Thanks,

If I do get to make it I'll definately stop at Harry's then and if I see ya, I'll definately drop by.

Cheers,
FF

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2005, 04:14 AM »
I pick em up at D.C Marine just before the bridge Accorss the River FRom harry's ... he is usually cheaper by a doller and you get More Minnows.......

Amyhow Same technique... Tear drop (Ice Bugs) Tipped with Fake Maggots... FOr perch and Big ol minnows for pike... (Just ask for pike Minnows....
Put a treble on them and tip them just 2 feet undee the Ice and jig for perch while u wait for that line to zing...LOL

Good luck!!!

frozenfishy

« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2005, 07:28 AM »
Thanks Germ,

Pike are out of season 'til Jan 1 right? Not that I'd keep a pike even then, but fun to fight.

Cheers,
FF

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2005, 01:33 PM »
Nope they are in season.........
Whitefish arnt

frozenfishy

« Reply #14 on: Dec 16, 2005, 02:21 PM »
Sweet.

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 16, 2005, 04:27 PM »
SOrt of deceptive when you look at the regs though...
CAuse poeple see that the season says jan 01 to march sometime??? then opens again in  may or june? something like that then runs to december 31 or what ever... so.......
But sometimes people just check when the season opens and you would think it was jan 1st the way its written up...  its just the way they do it...
BUt yes pike are Open now...
THey are good eating though.... If you get em small enough so that GAMEY (pike) taste isnt so strong...
I prefer em over 4 under 8.... pounds to eat... and lots of them in that Class you will find...
Over that I just C ANd R       anyhoot good luck to ya....

TIght lines!!!

Offline ratsotail

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Spring bobbers and ratsotails!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 16, 2005, 04:41 PM »
Hey guys,

How much snow did you get around Simcoeland? We got over 1ft. for sure in Ottawa. I was hoping to come down for some fishing the 1st of the year, but I'm worried the snow will slow down the ice production.

Tight Lines,

ratsotail

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 16, 2005, 06:11 PM »
Well currently i dont have that much snow out there...(on the bay....)      If yopu want up to minute reports try lake simcoe board...
ANyhow the bay has over 4 inches out there and thats good nuff for me...
Stay off the river motuhs or around them and Make sure to fish with a friend and wear float gear:> other then that have fun catch lots:>:> TIght lines!!!

Offline ratsotail

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Spring bobbers and ratsotails!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 17, 2005, 08:01 AM »
Thanks for the info and advice germ. I've never fished Simcoe before so I'm a bit on the cautious side with big water.

ratsotail

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 17, 2005, 12:58 PM »
Nps better safe then sorry......

Lots of People out there and lots of GUys that are using their noodle which is great....
Hope to catch ya out on the ice... TIght lines!!!

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 20, 2005, 03:46 PM »
4-6 inches clear black ice out in front of Old Homestead ROad... PErch are just Killing anything i drop down there... My hands were to cold or else i would have stayed... SPent 1 hour and caught maybe 1 every minutue minute and a half... Only reason for the delay was my line was freezin up and Reel froze up that sort of thing...   Not far out maybe 70 metres... 15-18 fow?? SOmething like that.. ANyhow FOr those of you who want perch... good spot to hit... TIght lines!!!

Offline Tambo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 20, 2005, 06:22 PM »
Thanks for the reports Germ.  Isn't old holmestead where keffers was?
Tambo

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 20, 2005, 06:53 PM »
WEll just north of that.... THe pump house....  Like 1 min north driving... I
Ill be oput on FRiday if anyone is interested in meetting up and slamming some perch!!!

Offline utes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 20, 2005, 08:57 PM »
Man germ that sounds good. To bad i won't be able to come up and bother you until after the holidays. I'm heading to Kentucky to visit family for X-mas but i'll be back in town on the 31st. . hopefully those perch stay around for a while. I'll get ahold of you when i get back , it'll be nice to visit and do some fishing with you again. Is Frank around this year? Have a great holiday and i'll talk to ya soon, Dan

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 21, 2005, 04:08 PM »
Ya Frank will be... He hasnt  Called me yet... but he will he always does:>:>
ANd yes hopefully they will be around like they were today!!! Lots again they are hitting mad... Lots of dinks though... and only one keep oin the 45 mins i fished ( i like em big) lol....

Offline utes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 21, 2005, 08:56 PM »
LOL, I know you do!!! I'll be in touch. Have a great holiday. Stay on Top, Dan

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 22, 2005, 07:59 AM »
WEll not myself personally thru the nite...becasue lets face it i can just hit it any time i want lol... Though the Burbot hit at night... Just pre bait for them like a hour before sunset...Plus it will also attract whities if that is what your after..? ANyhow   LEave a dead minnow on the bottom for the burbot.... AS per whities use a megs on the bottom ...Very slow presentation... If your after just perch... WElll id reccomend using someone differnt lol... Just my thoughts...But sine your already booked... Just make sure if your after perch to keep the bait movement going... Perch get bored with a non moving presentation and you want to keep the schools therere around you... If your after lakers... try differnt depths ..... like have the bait and or lure at one depth then bring it up 3 feet every 15 mins... and try again... do this till you can see the lure and  and or bait and then drop to the bottom and start again...
WHat are you after at those huts? what was the bottom like (probably sand) ?? GIve me more infor to what your after and the Feet of water that wa there and i can help you out more...
TIght lines!!!

Offline krustydawg

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bucket of Guts
« Reply #27 on: Dec 22, 2005, 12:50 PM »
Germ,
     I have all the equipment (i.e. shanty, auger, etc.) except for a quad or a sled.  Do I need a guide ?  If so who would you recommend.  I am staying at the Inn on the Lake (Keswick) 12-28 thru 12-30.  How long of a walk is it to the perch holes from the shores of the Inn on the Lake ?  Would it be tough dragging the shanty and equipment out ?  I'm sure it depends on how much snow you have on the ice.  Please help me out as this is the my first time at Simcoe and I would like spend my time fishing.  Thanks for the assistance.

Krustydawg 

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 22, 2005, 01:13 PM »
Is it a portable SHanty were talking about or a regular one? ARe  you just after PErch?? Or is pike in your game as well?  If its a portable nps walking it out at the present moment... I walk mine out all the time.... SENd me a private message and ill walk ya right to the perch holes... OR   You dont need a guide...       Ill be your Online guide and Might even meet ya out on the ice... and if im not working any of those day ill bnring ya to the spots... ANyhow SEnd me a private message and ill Set ya up!!!

Offline krustydawg

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bucket of Guts
« Reply #29 on: Dec 22, 2005, 02:01 PM »
Germ,
    You have a PM.  Thanks.

Krustydawg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.