The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Knutsons  (Read 2694 times)

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
Knutsons
« on: Nov 05, 2018, 06:06 AM »
Thinking of doing the bulk bait this year and have heard these guys have quality stuff. Looking at spikes as it's all I usually use. So, the local bait stores around me that carry them, have seemed to be a bit too small the last couple of years...like under a 1/4" most the time. I like them a "little" bigger, say between 1/4 and 1/2". For you that have ordered from them in the past, what can you tell me? Are they in the ballpark as for the size I'm looking for...or am I being a bit picky.  :-\ Thoughts...TIA
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Knutsons
« Reply #1 on: Nov 05, 2018, 06:23 AM »
Sorry to tell you this most places use there bait and resell it!!  Reason I like buying bulk.. is the bait store some time counts.. bait out like  24 Spikes for $3 or 12 for $2  and don't have the bulk avaible cause of supply and demand.. this way I am prepared for winter.. like I said most places in michigan use their bait fron kuntsons..  you could try ebay but not sure if there any better??  It is what it is when it came to bait some times.. I prefer the smaller spikes cause gills can be real picky.. and waxies are just to big of a meal for gills..at 3/4 inch long plus your jig ..like a rocker jig won't get hit. to big..  but throw that small waxies on a plain hook they hammer it?? Why go figure but must be to big for appetite??

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 2018, 08:43 AM »
i buy their bait solely and enjoy my visit every time i go there. bulk is the only way i buy spikes. i buy 1000 white and 1000 mixed. if there is any thing wrong with them they will mail you a new bulk package. i offer friends to have me pick up theirs while i'm at it.
as chilly mentioned, they are a distributor of live bait and many stores sell their bait, so just buy direct.  i keep them in a fridge crisper drawer and only bring about 50 at a time and never return the ones in the bait puck back to the bulk pack.

they have nice deals and plenty to shop for. it is where i picked up the first shappell fx100i, assembled. i will go back and buy the version 2 of it this year if they have it and the hyfax kit.
they carry name brand products we all love to use. much of their proceeds go to the largest ice fishing tournament in michigan. you can check that out by clicking on the yellow banner midwest open ice fishing tournament. although it is from last season, you can get an idea of what knuston's does for the ice fishing community. they used to have a banner here for live bait.
http://www.knutsonlivebait.com/

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Nov 05, 2018, 09:02 AM »
i buy their bait solely and enjoy my visit every time i go there. bulk is the only way i buy spikes. i buy 1000 white and 1000 mixed. if there is any thing wrong with them they will mail you a new bulk package. i offer friends to have me pick up theirs while i'm at it.
as chilly mentioned, they are a distributor of live bait and many stores sell their bait, so just buy direct. i keep them in a fridge crisper drawer and only bring about 50 at a time and never return the ones in the bait puck back to the bulk pack.

they have nice deals and plenty to shop for. it is where i picked up the first shappell fx100i, assembled. i will go back and buy the version 2 of it this year if they have it, i will buy it and the hyfax kit.
they carry name brand products we all love to use. much of their proceeds go the largest ice fishing tournament in michigan. you can check that out by clicking on the yellow banner midwest open ice fishing tournament. although it is from last season, you can get an idea of what knuston's does for the ice fishing community. they used to have a banner here for live bait.
http://www.knutsonlivebait.com/

Thanks fellas...I guess it is what it is. And being on the west side of the state, I will be ordering them...little too far to travel. And I keep mine and discard as you do 3300. As a little side note, and maybe it's me, but I think they...spikes...shrink a little over time.  :-\

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 05, 2018, 07:28 PM »
Never bought bait from them, but I have a barn full of water fowling gear from them. My personal favorite  sporting goods store, anywhere ! Too bad they are about an hr. away. Whenever the wife & me head for the east side of the state, or farther, we always stop there. She does not hunt or fish, but loves going there. Friendly & helpful employees, a large selection of everything, & fair prices, make this store a great place to shop.
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline Hoserman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 05, 2018, 07:45 PM »
I think I'll be ordering mine from them as well. I like their prices.
Tried ice fishing with Dynamite, UGH... where's my shanty?

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #6 on: Nov 05, 2018, 07:54 PM »
Iceassin if you are ever over by swan lake bait store they carry 1000 spikes for $10 at least that was the price the last few years.pretty cheap bait.i no longer order bait anymore.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Nov 06, 2018, 06:31 AM »
Iceassin if you are ever over by swan lake bait store they carry 1000 spikes for $10 at least that was the price the last few years.pretty cheap bait.i no longer order bait anymore.

Doc...you talking about Merson (sp) Corners on 40?

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #8 on: Nov 06, 2018, 06:42 AM »
Doc...you talking about Merson (sp) Corners on 40?
no.the swan lake store right on swan lake.all kinds of stuff in that little store..

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Nov 06, 2018, 06:47 AM »
no.the swan lake store right on swan lake.

10- 4 ...I take it quality is good otherwise you wouldn't be buying  ;). Heading to Allegan on Thursday so might run over and pick 'em up.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #10 on: Nov 06, 2018, 06:51 AM »
10- 4 ...I take it quality is good otherwise you wouldn't be buying  ;). Heading to Allegan on Thursday so might run over and pick 'em up.
yeah pretty decent for a maggot.lol.

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 06, 2018, 08:27 AM »
I  buy my bait from Knutsons. exclusively.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline bmyrkle

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 14, 2018, 07:11 AM »
Because they have to be kept well protected in transit, the shipping expense from Knutson's can be pretty high. I can't fault them for that, because we all want a quality product arriving at our door.

So, even though I live an hour away, I usually do make a trek there each December to buy my bait in bulk. I would say that it tends to be cheaper that way, but it also gives you a chance to wander around the store until a few other things happen to fall in your basket, lol.
"I get asked, 'what's your favorite fish to catch?' Well, it's red lines on my Vexilar. I don't care what's down there. I just want to go out and catch something." -- Dave Genz

Offline ThreeDogsDown

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 26, 2018, 11:00 AM »
11.00 for 500 spikes.  13.00 for shipping to Traverse City.   There has to be a better way.   

Offline compli123

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish whispering since 1962
« Reply #14 on: Nov 26, 2018, 11:39 AM »
Only place I know where you can buy green/red/blue, etc. spikes by the scoop. Best and freshest.
I like to sit around on the ice doing nothing because my wife won't let me do it at home.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 26, 2018, 12:18 PM »
11.00 for 500 spikes.  13.00 for shipping to Traverse City.   There has to be a better way.

This is why I don't order from them, wish I could for the colored spikes, but it is 18 dollar shipping to the east coast.  Ja-da ships for free and I haven't had any problems there has to be a way to get that shipping price down.

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 26, 2018, 12:31 PM »
 I went to there web site and picked one item that was 7.00 dollars. Shipping was 24.00 for that one item. I can buy the same item at the local bait shop for 20 cents more that they wanted before shipping. That way I can help support the bait shop also.

Offline kcskypilot

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A nice day!
« Reply #17 on: Nov 29, 2018, 04:00 AM »
Thanks fellas...I guess it is what it is. And being on the west side of the state, I will be ordering them...little too far to travel. And I keep mine and discard as you do 3300. As a little side note, and maybe it's me, but I think they...spikes...shrink a little over time.  :-\

I'm finding that a lot of things do... Maybe it's the cold?  ;)2

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Nov 29, 2018, 04:27 AM »
I'm finding that a lot of things do... Maybe it's the cold?  ;)2

:roflmao: :thumbsup:

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 29, 2018, 06:30 AM »
might have to try them this year

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Nov 29, 2018, 06:45 AM »
Found a place...local Mom and Pop shop...that sells them $10/1000. Guy I know has been buying them for years..Asked him if they're any good. His response? "They're  maggots"!   :roflmao:...going there in a couple days.

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 29, 2018, 11:58 AM »
I just came back from Knutson's and the ice fishing stuff is on the shelves.

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Nov 29, 2018, 11:32 PM »
I buy my spikes from a local shop, he get's his bait from knutesons the bigger spikes I've been told are blow fly magots.
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 07, 2018, 02:21 PM »
I drove by Knutson's today and they had a big sign that said 20 to 40% off almost everything in the store. Christmas sale.

Offline delta9

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hard water is great
« Reply #24 on: Dec 08, 2018, 05:14 PM »
 :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
:icefish:

Offline Xx xxx xX

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 08, 2018, 09:06 PM »
Do you have to use the expensive next day shipping? On there website it says next day air is for there live guarantee. Can you use standard shipping if you want to roll the dice on a smaller order making it in transit?

Offline DoctorPerch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 08, 2018, 09:20 PM »
Yes you can.  I live in Colorado and indicated to them to use standard shipping.  It came 2nd day air at standard shipping cost.  Great bait.  Been using them for years.

Offline Xx xxx xX

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 09, 2018, 06:21 AM »
Awesome thank you I'll be placing an order tomorrow :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.