Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Question on fire line  (Read 914 times)

Offline Ihawkangler

• Team IceShanty Regular
Question on fire line
« on: Feb 09, 2018, 10:57 PM »
I switched a few poles to fire line this year form Suffix Ice Magic and am curious if others think it makes a lite bite harder to detect or spooks fish.  I fished a lite crappie bite tonight and had numerous fish move up to my jig, but they did not bite or I could not detect itt even with a spring bobber.  I switched back to a pole with Ice Magic (same jig) and caught 2  on the next 2 drops and had numerous detectable bites.  The Ice Magic seems to be more straight down the hole vs. the fire line. 

Just curious if I am missing something obvious here or if this is just fishing.

Offline eyecrosser65

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Question on fire line
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2018, 11:53 PM »
It could have been just a faster fall rate with the fireline that was turning the fish off with this turn in the weather. May want to try it more than one time or if you think it is spooking the fish add a foot of flouro with a small swivel.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2018, 10:25 AM »
Fireline is stiff, probably wasn't hanging straight in the water.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Hooked up

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2018, 08:37 PM »
My thought is the fish were seeing the Fire Line. If they were biting the jig you would have seen it with the spring bobber. Like was said add a fluorocarbon leader and you will be back to catching fish.

sunniewally

« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2018, 08:44 PM »
I did the same thing and went back to suffix. 2lb and good to go.I thought the fire line for winter fish just sucks.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2018, 09:08 PM »
i think they make a fireline ice, been wanting to try that and the power pro ice.

Offline Ihawkangler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2018, 05:30 AM »
Thanks for the feedback.  I should have clarified that I was using Fire line ice.  I put leaders on all my rods and won't use straight fire line again.  I ran across a You Tube video from Jason Mitchell and he talked about needing a pretty heavy jig or spoon to keep lines like fire line straight.  I am sure there are some positives for other types of fishing and maybe the leader will take care of the issues, but I am much happier with ice magic for half the price or less. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.