New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Anyone ever fish Mendon???  (Read 2553 times)

Offline labtech23

• IceShanty Rookie
Anyone ever fish Mendon???
« on: Dec 08, 2005, 10:29 AM »
Anyone ever icefish in Mendon Ponds Park? If so where? I have heard there are some underground springs that could weaken the ice in some spots. Also anyone know what species are in there. I have only caught largemouth. thanks.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
Re: Anyone ever fish Mendon???
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2005, 10:30 AM »
Where is Mendon Ponds Park?
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline IceReaver

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Psalm 27
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2005, 11:26 AM »
Mendon Ponds Park is located in Mendon, NY!! ;D

It's located between Pittsford and Honeoye Falls, approximately 10 minutes SSE from Eastview Mall (Victor).  I have never ice fished the ponds, but I have open water fished from shore and from a canoe (no motorized boats allowed).  It is/was the watershed for parts of Rochester (at least I've heard that an underground stream/river feeds Rochester) but it's been a while and I haven't kept up to date on all the information regarding Mendon.  It has no dikes, dams, or other water control devices, so the pond levels don't fluctuate.

The ponds contain a good quantity of "normal" pond species (i.e.-perch, sunfish, bluegill), but it's most known for large mouth bass and good sized northern pike.  I've never scored on a pike, but the bass are pretty easy to consistently catch (summer).  The park is free and definitely open during the winter time because you can walk the nature trails.  I vaguely recall seeing ice fishermen on the largest pond, but it was a long time ago and I'm not sure if my memory is correct.  I'm sure a simple visit/call into the office located in the park would provide all the information  you needed.

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2005, 01:18 PM »
I tried fishing Mendon about 8 years ago.  The day we went, we got skunked.  I talked to an old timer that stated the icefishing can be ok to good at times.  He stated that the pike are a little on the small side.  I don't really know any good spots on the pond. 

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2005, 03:45 PM »
I lived in Roch cha about 10 yrs ago for a while and icefished the big pond at mendon quite a bit.  It was good northern pike fishing and if the fish were on you would always put a few bucket mouthes on the ice.  Lots of panfish mostly sunnys but I never caught any big ones?????
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

Offline devo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2005, 03:50 PM »
Mendon is actually 5 ponds w/3 of them being easily accessible.It can be a good early spot....right off Rt. 64 just south of the thruway.We fish the big pond(Hundred Acre)and get small pike and largemouth there.The panfish seem to be few ,and far between. All the ponds hold fish,you just have to find them.Good luck and keep us posted on how you do.
-Voted most likely to get hurt 2010
-Secret Agent Man
-2013 Icemasters "Ironman" Angler of the year
-NY State Record Drum boat Captain, 2014-2016
-"Worst crew in all of drag racing” 2003

Offline Fish-Doctor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2005, 05:18 PM »

Went once for the first time last year.  Took the wife figuring she could x-country ski while I fished.  I got skunked.  There were three other groups on the ice that day.  Saw one person pull in two pike while I was there.  The other groups were talking between themselves and I could slightly overhear that they also had had a slow day, only a few fish between them.  I can't remember the name of the specific pond I was on.  I'll have to look at the map again and let you know.  Will probably try to make it there again at least once this year.
Fish-Doctor  -  Ken

Offline Fish-Doctor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2005, 06:57 AM »

It was "Hundred Acre Pond" that I was on.  Here is a link to the County web site for the park.  there is a link to a map of the park at the bottom of the page.
http://www.monroecounty.gov/org17.asp?orgID=17&storytypeid=&storyID=&
Fish-Doctor  -  Ken

Offline labtech23

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2005, 07:01 AM »
Thanks for all the replies....I'll have to make it out there and try for some pike. It should freeze up pretty quick over there. Can't wait.

Offline johnnylimit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2005, 08:49 AM »
I have done better with bass than pike there. I would use bass minnows instead of pike. The pike I have caught have been on the small side. The center of the pond will stay open for a long time due to the amount of geese over there, but the outside usually has safe ice. Just be carefull around the outlet which is a drain pipe. There are also a lot of panfish but they do run small. Most of your fishing will be in less than 6 feet of water so you will be able to perfect your presentation by sight fishing. By the way my son caught a 21" bass out of there 3 years ago!

Offline Mr.Sodus

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Summer Sucks
« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2005, 11:37 AM »
tHERE IS A MEDIUM SIZED POND OFF pond rd, i BELIEVE, THAT IS NOT ACCESSIBLE BY ROAD. yOU HAVE TO HIKE IN ALL OF YOUR GEAR. tHERE ARE LARGER pIKE IN THERE. the small pond near the turn-around has trout also. be real careful near the outlet/inlet in these ponds, the deep rotting vegetation bubbles and crusts over and BLOOP! you are no longer a fisherman, but you ARE a swimmer.

Hey Charlie, the kid's got one on over here...

Offline Chucker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice - It's not just for drinking!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2005, 08:13 PM »
I scored a 33" northern on Round Pond last year.  I spent most of my time there, since 100 Acre gets too much foot traffic, and the weeds are THICK.
I'm a-going to stay where ya sleep all day,
Where they hung the jerk who invented work
In the big rock candy mountains.

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #12 on: Dec 10, 2005, 08:45 AM »
I went there one time a few years ago and didn't do very good BUT, a guy about 50 yards from me caught two real nice pike. They were not ''huge'' to most you guys, but i thought they were slobs.
Crappieloo

Offline devo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 11, 2005, 08:01 PM »
drilled some holes today at Hundred Acre and the ice was only 2" MAX ...some spots less than that(like 1 1/2 turns on the auger)!.I thought for sure there would be more than that,.......It was cracking every step of the way.BE CAREFUL,its not safe yet.
-Voted most likely to get hurt 2010
-Secret Agent Man
-2013 Icemasters "Ironman" Angler of the year
-NY State Record Drum boat Captain, 2014-2016
-"Worst crew in all of drag racing” 2003

Offline xstream70

• IceShanty Rookie
  • ICE FISH'IN FOOL
« Reply #14 on: Dec 14, 2005, 05:56 PM »
checked it out Today 3" good ice , guy caught a nice bass and pike there to day
keep it frozen

Offline labtech23

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 15, 2005, 03:39 PM »
What pond was he on? What access do you use for hundred acre? the boat launch side or the side by the covered pavillions? I really hope the snow holds off and we get another good inch of ice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.