Author Topic: Charging a lithium battery in a Genz pack  (Read 1069 times)

Offline Inabell

• IceShanty Rookie
Charging a lithium battery in a Genz pack
« on: Feb 20, 2019, 03:44 PM »
I have a Vexilar fl 18 and Genz pack. I’d like to swap out the SLA battery with a lithium but keep the convenience of the Vexilar quick connect on the battery and charger. I’m looking for ideas to charge a lithium without having to continually remove the spade connectors. I have a couple of ideas. Will any of these work? Better ideas?  I am very ignorant about electronics and would appreciate any advice.

Splice a matching barrel connector to replace the alligator clips on the lithium charger and use the Genz battery/charging harness?

Get a new Vexilar power cord and mimic the genz harness by piggybacking  an SAE connector to the spade connectors and splice SAE to the lithium charger.

Get a new vexilar power cord and splice an SAE connector between the battery and flasher and matching connector to lithium charger.

Thank you in advance.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Charging a lithium battery in a Genz pack
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2019, 06:31 PM »
Splicing a barrel connector to your charger should really be all you need to do. Just remember to keep the polarity correct (+ to +, - to -). Some barrel jacks/plugs are center positive and some are not. Then just plug into the battery harness.

Even if you use different charging connections  in the future for different batteries you could always then make your own harness out of another barrel jack (to plug into the charger) and whatever connector you need (to plug into whatever battery you’re using at the time).
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2019, 06:43 PM »
This is a harness I made for my Marcum charger that I use for my power box. I was tired of swapping the Marcum harness out all the time so I made this. SAE plug I cut in half for the right polarity, connected to a banana plug then shrink tubed for neatness.

You could also do the same thing then just clip the alligator clips to the posts on the banana plug and use the SAE plug. IF you didn’t want to use a banana plug you could use a ring connector with bolts tightened through the ring. Or just splice in the barrel jack like mentioned above. The barrel jack would probably be the easiest quickest connection.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Inabell

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2019, 07:49 PM »
Thanks for the advice.

So... I should be OK if I cut the quick connect off the vexilar charger and soldered it to the lithium charger.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.