Author Topic: Scary Scene Today.  (Read 3356 times)

Offline walleyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Em !!!
Scary Scene Today.
« on: Dec 29, 2018, 09:35 PM »
We were heading across the lake on our quads and we come across a 20' covered trailer half sunk in the ice I would say about half of it is out the front part is deeper. There was a big group of guys camped near the shore from it, the trailer is about 400 yards out from shore. But no one was at the trailer I could see a little D4 dozer there but nothing going on it looked like it was just the trailer. On the way back there was guy's out there pumping water flooding the ice so I stopped and talked to them. The owner of the trailer was there, any how his truck is still attached to the front of the trailer he said it's sitting straight up down still hooked up to the hitch in 30' feet of water. They plan on building up the ice by flooding it then he's got some rig matts there he's going to push up to it and get a cable around the hitch and sling it he figures he should be able to pull it out using the winch on the small dozer. Seems to be a pretty smart old experienced  bush guy he's no dummy, well other than breaking his truck through the ice. He said they were driving along and two cracks came together to a V and the tip f the V broke and he went down with it. There is any where's from 10 - 15" of ice on our lakes right now but just hit the wrong spot I guess.
Westerner by birth, Canadian by law, Albertan by the grace of God.

Offline Jeffrey

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Scary Scene Today.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2018, 10:06 PM »
I would say not too smart towing a trailer with a truck on 10" to 15". Maybe he seems experienced,
Maybe it's not the 1st time he sunk his junk.
The only thing we learn from history is that, we don't learn from
History! 🇺🇸

Offline grababrewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2018, 10:10 PM »
Wow that would suck, Did you get any pics?

Offline walleyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Em !!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2018, 10:14 PM »
Wow that would suck, Did you get any pics?

No darn phone was too cold and shut down on me of course.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2018, 10:16 PM »
Sounds experienced in getting his truck washed. Probably best to make sure you don't follow him on the ice!
EYECONICFISHING

Offline walleyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Em !!!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2018, 10:16 PM »
I would say not too smart towing a trailer with a truck on 10" to 15". Maybe he seems experienced,
Maybe it's not the 1st time he sunk his junk.

Yah people out here tend to get a little brave when it comes to the ice. 15" is lots of ice in most cases but it's just not good ice this year, tough lesson for him to learn. But he'll get it out and it will cost only him.

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2018, 03:00 AM »
Yikes....not his first rodeo.  Glad hes OK.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2018, 05:22 AM »

Yes sir coming up on that would be unnerving, glad they are safe , trucks and trailers can be replaced

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2018, 06:31 AM »
My lake neighbor accidentally slid his pickup down the lake bank onto the ice two years ago.  It was early ice but the truck did not go through, so he thought if he stayed near the bank and drove it to his boat landing he could get back on shore, good idea for the first hundred feet, then it broke through in 4'-5' of water.  I watched for a while as two big wreckers (like they use for semi's) spent many hours trying to pull the truck on shore, breaking ice the whole way, the truck was a complete wreck by the time they were done.  Getting the truck and trailer out of 30 feet of water will be a real rodeo, they will be building a tripod before it is all over, keep us updated.

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2018, 06:49 AM »
I agree with Skywagon - not likely they'll get that truck out without rigging a structure over it to pull it straight up first. Dude's lucky to have gotten himself out of the water - everything else is replaceable.

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 30, 2018, 07:18 AM »
I have to wonder what is in the 20' trailer? Perhaps snosleds and atv's he could've used to get around on the ice. He's no dummy. ::)
It must be something in the water.

Offline swnoel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 30, 2018, 07:32 AM »
Sounds like he has all the necessary intellect to run for political office... ;D

Offline HardwaterPiker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 30, 2018, 07:21 PM »
That's exactly why you won't see this cat driving his Ram 2500 diesel crew cab on the ice with my enclosed trailer. Got a Can Am Commander MAX with tracks that gives me a little anxiety driving on the ice with, thing weighs as much as a small car.
ICE FISHING - We're all here because we ain't all there!

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 31, 2018, 08:50 AM »
Just got back from Lake of the Woods. 18 inches of ice. Trucks and trailers everywhere you look.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline iceman10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 31, 2018, 02:09 PM »
That's exactly why you won't see this cat driving his Ram 2500 diesel crew cab on the ice with my enclosed trailer. Got a Can Am Commander MAX with tracks that gives me a little anxiety driving on the ice with, thing weighs as much as a small car.

So I’m not the only person who gets anxiety when driving ranger out !
Heart beats faster every time .

Offline Kov619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 31, 2018, 02:31 PM »
I think this what he saw in Min...

Bad ice is bad for your health....walk with care....

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 31, 2018, 03:15 PM »
I think this what he saw in Min...

Could be.  This is what the post said "The owner of the trailer was there, any how his truck is still attached to the front of the trailer he said it's sitting straight up down still hooked up to the hitch in 30' feet of water."

Offline ldub

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 31, 2018, 03:41 PM »
Just hope someone has a camera handy when you fellas have a bad day. I know it's the world we live in, but irks me how people take so much pleasure in others bad luck. If you're not willing to help out move along imo. >:(

Offline VDueslerIV

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FILL THE STRINGER!!!!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 31, 2018, 03:42 PM »
wow scary indeed. to each his own...???
“Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a shanty, jig and drink beer all day. ”

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #19 on: Dec 31, 2018, 08:01 PM »
Cant fix stupid.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline Big Sky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 01, 2019, 08:11 AM »
People taking pics can be annoying, but wouldn’t always call it taking pleasure. 

Actually may be saving more lives.  Could be someone was planning a trip to that particular lake and they saw that and wanted to notify friends and others of a bad spot.

We don’t always know the motive of the picture taker.  My hope within our fishing community is that that they are taken with the intent of sharing the constant reminder that ice isn’t always safe. 

Offline ldub

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 01, 2019, 11:19 AM »
Point taken big sky. But I've personally been involved in situations, where as they were happening people were more concerned about how many views they would get on youtube then trying to help out. 

Offline HardwaterPiker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 01, 2019, 11:21 AM »
People taking pics can be annoying, but wouldn’t always call it taking pleasure. 

Actually may be saving more lives.  Could be someone was planning a trip to that particular lake and they saw that and wanted to notify friends and others of a bad spot.

We don’t always know the motive of the picture taker.  My hope within our fishing community is that that they are taken with the intent of sharing the constant reminder that ice isn’t always safe.

Good point!! :thumbsup:
ICE FISHING - We're all here because we ain't all there!

Offline FISHN NIK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 01, 2019, 01:51 PM »
My question is why were they towing a camping trailer on the ice??????? Driving a truck on ice is risky enough no matter how much ice is there,never know where that weak spot is until it's too late! I know it's done all the time in some locations,but wouldn't it be cheaper to own a quadrunner and some flipover or tent style shelters,thats what there made for.

FN

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #24 on: Jan 02, 2019, 09:02 AM »
Yup, the tripod method is the way to go. Seen trucks destroyed with a straight pull winch cable method.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.