Author Topic: Nanook Center Console Mod  (Read 46137 times)

Offline ericzerka24

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Nanook Center Console Mod
« Reply #60 on: Jan 28, 2012, 08:55 AM »
Very nice!

Not sure if I missed it in the thread, but do you have it attached to the tub in any way, or is it free standing?

I was going to have it free-standing because I figured it would weigh down the shanty a little bit but in all honesty, it really doesn't add any noticable weight.  So, yesterday when I was at the hardware I got some bolts with washers and lock-nuts.  I'm gunna put 2 in the front and 2 in the back.  The center console is there to stay!

Offline jj7leaf

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Jan 29, 2012, 09:05 AM »
Nice job man.  You gotta love a pimped out shanty! Now add the i-pod docking station, run some refrigerant to the cup holders, minnow aerator off the battery and you are all set!

Again, great job man.

j

Offline buckzone101

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T.Warrington Outdoors
« Reply #62 on: Jan 29, 2012, 09:27 AM »
Thanks guys. The fiberglass idea was genius. Buckshot (*buckzone*) your the man!
glad it worked for ya *buckzone*
INSTAGRAM@ twarringtonoutdoors

Offline revpilot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Jan 29, 2012, 09:33 AM »
Nice work!!

Offline Big - D OBG

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #64 on: Jan 30, 2012, 09:15 AM »
Turned out REALLY well. Think Im gonna have to go this route for my console

Offline akair

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #65 on: Feb 03, 2012, 05:33 PM »
Do you think that the fiberglass/cardboard mix would work for a full size icehouse to make it light? HAHAHAAHAH just a thought

Offline buckzone101

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T.Warrington Outdoors
« Reply #66 on: Feb 03, 2012, 07:02 PM »
it could work if you really wanted it to you would need to put alot of renforcments in it which then would make it heavy, and coat it with a water proof paint or something. but it could be done and you could put hinges and pins on it so that you could fold it up.. i think it be easier to build a wood base and use tarps for sides then conduit as your studs/tarp supports.
INSTAGRAM@ twarringtonoutdoors

Offline ericzerka24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Feb 04, 2012, 11:40 AM »
Do you think that the fiberglass/cardboard mix would work for a full size icehouse to make it light? HAHAHAAHAH just a thought

Only one way to find out! haha

Offline tracker 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Feb 04, 2012, 12:01 PM »
 Some great ideas here.It looks great. Do you think this would crack if it was being pulled by a snowmobile, especially going over some bumpy areas such as pressure cracks.

Offline just_a_beer_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #69 on: Feb 06, 2012, 09:17 PM »
Dude thats awsome.  Ive been thinking about doing something very similar to my trekker dlx.  Seeing this has my wheels turning! im thinkin full compartments instead of just center console.  Only question is what did you do for lights?
Flag!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline ericzerka24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Feb 08, 2012, 09:54 PM »
Some great ideas here.It looks great. Do you think this would crack if it was being pulled by a snowmobile, especially going over some bumpy areas such as pressure cracks.

Not a chance.  You would be amazed how strong this thing really is.

Offline ericzerka24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Feb 08, 2012, 09:59 PM »
Dude thats awsome.  Ive been thinking about doing something very similar to my trekker dlx.  Seeing this has my wheels turning! im thinkin full compartments instead of just center console.  Only question is what did you do for lights?

I really hope you do cuz I wanna know how it turns out.  I was wanting to do the same but with wood. 

For the lighting I used the LED strip lights.  I got the idea from $igmoney.  Lights it up real nice!

I put 2 strips on the poles behind me and 2 strips on the pole above me:

Here is a video of how bright they are:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m5cVWlaW54

Offline ericzerka24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Feb 08, 2012, 10:29 PM »
Well finally got the hinges and the latch put on the top.  Here's some more pics for you guys:

Cabinet latch:

Finished product:

Offline Big - D OBG

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #73 on: Feb 09, 2012, 07:46 AM »
Looks really good. Hows it holding up?

Offline ericzerka24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Feb 09, 2012, 08:17 AM »
I've been fishing with it every since I finished the carpet. Probably made at least a dozen trips out with it already and it is still rock solid. No doubt in my mind that it will outlast the shanty.

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My wife and I had words, I did't get to use mine
« Reply #75 on: Feb 09, 2012, 08:04 PM »
Nice job ericzerka , Love the lights  LOL!  ;D  Just when I think im done with mine I get another awesome idea to try. Thanks !

Offline ericzerka24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Feb 22, 2012, 12:08 PM »
Found some broom holders at the local hardware that I ended up using for my extra support rod.  I don't use this extra rod that often unless it is really windy and this keeps it from floating around the shanty floor:

Offline ericzerka24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Feb 22, 2012, 12:11 PM »
I didn't like how the aerator dangled from the minnow bucket.  I ended up fastening it down to the back of the center console instead:

Offline tracker 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Feb 22, 2012, 03:27 PM »
  Buddy...  you did a great job on that thing .

Offline ericzerka24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Feb 22, 2012, 06:48 PM »
  Buddy...  you did a great job on that thing .

Thanks tracker 1!

The only problem I have with this shanty is that it is a 2 seater.  Lately I've been fishing with more than just one other person and this thing just doesn't cut it. Next winter I'm thinking about one of those 4 person back-to-back flip shantys.  Can't wait to do some fiberglassing with it!

Offline mark4493

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Mar 02, 2012, 08:49 PM »
Looks great. I want to do something with my rover 1.5. Instead of a center console I would do the whole sled. I also would like to buy a larger sled. I was thinking of the 4 person clam or the eskimo escape 350. I did have a question about the fiberglassing. I have never done it. Did you use any type of fiberglass resign with the tape or does the tape come pregnated with resign and just have to wet it when you lay it out? Where did you get it? Any information would be helpful. Again it looks awesome.

Offline ericzerka24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Mar 02, 2012, 11:07 PM »
Looks great. I want to do something with my rover 1.5. Instead of a center console I would do the whole sled. I also would like to buy a larger sled. I was thinking of the 4 person clam or the eskimo escape 350. I did have a question about the fiberglassing. I have never done it. Did you use any type of fiberglass resign with the tape or does the tape come pregnated with resign and just have to wet it when you lay it out? Where did you get it? Any information would be helpful. Again it looks awesome.

I found fiberglass resin at the local hardware shop.  I used the cloth instead of tape.  Tape would probably make things much easier in some areas though.  Its one of those things that you can't screw up.  Once it dries from the first layer, you sand it down and the next layer goes on much easier.

Offline mark4493

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Mar 05, 2012, 07:55 PM »
thanks for the info. I have an idea that I want to do, but I do not have a garage and will have to wait until summer to do it

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #83 on: Jul 19, 2012, 01:38 PM »
Really nice job on the console...
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline TChix

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #84 on: Jul 22, 2012, 02:17 PM »
Your console turned out so good I had to put something together for my Recon DLX. I've already taken the small bench seat out and modded in a deluxe seat from Frabill. I used the back support of the old bench and moved it back. I'm going to mount an auger holder on it later. But for the console, so far so good. It's almost ready for fiberglass. I have to figure out a way to mount rod holders in it yet and haven't decided what kind of door/lid will go on it.

Pic of the rear of the seat with the auger support bar.

The console

In the DLX.

Offline Vex-Um

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #85 on: Jul 23, 2012, 03:38 PM »
Looks awesome TChix.  I'm still debating whether I want to put one together or not. 
Rippin' Lips and Jerkin' Jaws

Offline TChix

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #86 on: Jul 24, 2012, 03:46 PM »
Looks awesome TChix.  I'm still debating whether I want to put one together or not. 

Thanks Vex-Um. I figure the only money I'll have to put into this project is for the fiberglass since that's the only thing I don't have lying around the house. I had a couple speakers in the boat that weren't hooked up so I took them out and mounted them on the console. I'm going to have to scrap my little cubbie in the top because that's where the head unit is going to go. Also mounted the antenna on the back, but I didn't take pics of those. If I don't get the fiberglass on this weekend, then it'll have to wait till my next day off or one weekend that we're not camping.

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My wife and I had words, I did't get to use mine
« Reply #87 on: Jul 24, 2012, 08:10 PM »
TChix make sure your seat clears the console, also drink holder!  I see you have a swivel. Put on your seat and sit on it to make sure it clears everything, even your legs. I made that mistake, been there done that.

Offline TChix

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #88 on: Jul 28, 2012, 08:16 PM »
Oh yeah $ignmoney, way ahead of you there buddy! The DLX doesn't allow for a ton of swivel room but I like the ability to swivel when I have the canvas down. I'm able to clear everything with the seat. Even the flip top tothe radio head unit if i forget to close it. Going to have to rethink where I'm going to mount the antenna. It's going to be in the way of my auger when I have it mounted. Hmmmm. Going to have to spend more time in the basement. Sorry honey. I'm camping this weekend and next weekend so I'm not sure how much work I'm gonna get done this week.

Offline Jumbo_hunter_1979

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #89 on: Aug 30, 2012, 08:25 PM »
hey i have one question did you fiber glass the inside to....i was thinking of resin the whole thing like twice then fiber glass it??? also would you happen to have the measurements of it i want to make one for my old Yukon i have the one with the bar across the back that the seats sit on

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.