Author Topic: Vexilar glo cup vs lure lightening vs 400 lumen led  (Read 5504 times)

Offline rbalkevitch

• IceShanty Rookie
Vexilar glo cup vs lure lightening vs 400 lumen led
« on: Nov 10, 2019, 09:01 PM »
Ran my own test with vex glo cup, lure lightening, and a 400 lumen led light. I had green, blue, orange, and yellow glow jigs. Honestly, I could not see a difference in how much the jigs would glow when using the vexilar glo cup or the lure lightening with these colors. Both work the same. Lure lightening says other brands wontt light up reds or purples but I didn't have any to test.   The led did ok, but was not great.  The pros and cons are what get me the most in these. The glo cup has a soft in led that does not make you squint at night and is easy to drop your lure in and get an even blast of glow, the issue is that it has a flip switch. So you have to keep it on or keep bending over to turn on and off. The lure lightening is nice because it has a momentary switch to hold down with your boot when you want to use it then turns off when you move your boot off the switch. The problem i have is that you have to dangle the jig in front of the light beam as the jig is swinging. If it's night out, the light is so bright, I see spots after turning it off because you have to watch from the side to make sure your jig is in the beam.

Overall I like them both but the lure lightening wins my vote due to the momentary switch. and i like that it will light up reds and purples. (I'll be getting some reds and purples to verify).

From here, I think I may make some kind of hoop to attach to lure lightening so that my jig does not swing, which should help.

Anyone test reds and purples glow with lure lightening?  What's your opinion and are there other lights you like? Any suggestions on attaching a hoop to the light?
A wise man once said nothing. Rob~

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Re: Vexilar glo cup vs lure lightening vs 400 lumen led
« Reply #1 on: Nov 11, 2019, 12:32 AM »
I use the Rayovac Sportsman Indestructible Submersible Led spotlight.  Mine was an older one so maybe 500 lumens I think.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 11, 2019, 07:31 AM »
I could have spent $25 a lot better than on a glo cup. Buy a flashlight.

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 11, 2019, 10:45 AM »
Great thread. You just saved me the cost of the glow cup.

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 11, 2019, 11:22 AM »
I got a glow cup from ice hole power to see if I was missing anything. It definitely works better than a flash light or the leds from my shack lights, the UV light seems to charge must faster than with a standard light.

Offline Philip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 11, 2019, 11:41 AM »
If I hit a jig point blank with my flashlight or headlamp (1100 lumens each) for 2 seconds its as bright as it'll get, the UV cup doesnt perform any better, we tested this last week.

The one benefit I can see someone having is being able to leave the glow cup on in the shanty, but last year we were talking about the eye damage from UV LED exposure.. so I'll probably stick with a flashlight

Team Comfy Skunks

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 11, 2019, 06:01 PM »
I was talking about a UV flashlight. Hitting the little cup with your bait is a PITA.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #7 on: Nov 12, 2019, 06:01 AM »
I use a little UV key chain type light that I have had for ten + years Give the jig a 30 second shot and it glows just fine.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 12, 2019, 09:11 AM »
Anyone use the Rapala Charge N Glow?
jbird68

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #9 on: Nov 12, 2019, 10:11 AM »
I don’t but I might. Nice looking unit.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #10 on: Nov 12, 2019, 10:27 AM »
I use a little UV key chain type light that I have had for ten + years Give the jig a 30 second shot and it glows just fine.
Keep it safe! JDL
i have one similar.keychain that has a fish decal on it made by northland.thing is so old clipped to my coat and battery is still good.

Offline rbalkevitch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 12, 2019, 11:31 AM »

I have not heard of this one.  Ill probably do some google video searches to check it out.   Lighting is more of a hobby for me, so i may get one just to compare with the others.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 12, 2019, 11:56 AM »
 I have one of these camera flash devices.
A quick flash and your good to go.
https://www.franksgreatoutdoors.com/luhr-jensen-power-flash-for-fishing-049762388674?gclid=CjwKCAiAzanuBRAZEiwA5yf4ut3BKFSuxTVUTTNikcniQZ8lY-FAca9IQ5eZWabon5Qz1wNv_ubOJRoCXfEQAvD_BwE
I am considering a lure lightning though.
Seems like a quality product that was made for the task.
I realize it's not just about the brightness but also the wavelength of the light your using.
Or so they say.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 12, 2019, 01:01 PM »
My question has been do I need to use a UV light.  I have a light I use on my bicycle - 400 lumens.   Is this sufficient?  I would prefer avoiding buying a separate UV light. Thanks

Offline Philip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 12, 2019, 01:13 PM »
My question has been do I need to use a UV light.  I have a light I use on my bicycle - 400 lumens.   Is this sufficient?  I would prefer avoiding buying a separate UV light. Thanks

400 lumens point blank should be fine, IMO. Test it out, if theres no difference in a 3second charge and a 1 minute charge then you wont need anything stronger.
Team Comfy Skunks

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 12, 2019, 01:35 PM »
I used to use the older version they had a few years back. It was a little big and cumbersome, but it served it's purpose. Now they have a smaller, more compact version with UV lights. Currently using the glo-ring just because don't like having to buy or bring extra batteries.

Offline rbalkevitch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Nov 12, 2019, 05:56 PM »

If you are using only green glowing jigs, an led light is fine. Yellow, blue and orange glow will charge up with an led but will have a mild dim glow that does not last long. Red and purple glow will not charge with led much at all,if any.
UV will make a good charge in all colors, but different colors charge better with different wave lengths of UV light.  This is why some glow lights for fishing have a mixture of different wave lengths in their light.   

So i have been testing the top brands to see what works best for all colors of glow. Lure lightening is winning so far with vexilar glo cup in second.  Lure lightening does charge red and purples too. They come out super bright and last a good 5 min before going darker.

I'll be testing rapala next and give a compare

Offline Philip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 13, 2019, 11:15 AM »
Red and purple glow will not charge with led much at all,if any.

This doesnt seem right to me. We were testing with a purple jig (99% sure) and my 1100 lumen flashlight was able to fully charge it within seconds. Will test again today
Team Comfy Skunks

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 13, 2019, 01:07 PM »
The one benefit I can see someone having is being able to leave the glow cup on in the shanty, but last year we were talking about the eye damage from UV LED exposure.. so I'll probably stick with a flashlight

Umm....what???   :o  lol.
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline Philip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 13, 2019, 01:23 PM »
Umm....what???   :o  lol.

Yes, you read that correctly. Certain wavelengths cause damage to eyes.

https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/25851/safety-guidelines-for-ultraviolet-leds

https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/123674/are-uv-leds-really-dangerous

(Google for more info)

I cant say who uses what LEDs for glowing their jigs, but I do know that 99.9% of these LEDs are coming from china, so who knows what youre getting. There are guys using powerful flashlights with UV LEDs that are almost certainly causing damage. For that reason I dont feel the need to have a glow cup sitting in my shack for 5 hours while I fish. I know some guys were making covers and screens to block their cups when not in use. I'd be happy for someone with more technical physics knowledge to disprove this; Ill stick with powerful flashlights in the mean time
Team Comfy Skunks

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Nov 13, 2019, 01:50 PM »
Thanks for the heads up.  I have a new hole hop caddy that just got delivered and it has an ice hole power glow-ry hole in it.  I just messaged them to see if they have any info on the LEDs they use so I can see what wavelengths are emitted. 

I'd be interested in seeing some of the covers/screens for the glow cups.  Guess I know what rabbit hole I'll be going down tonight.
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 13, 2019, 02:45 PM »
Well I ordered me a lure lightning today to try out.
Also ordered some glow purple powder paint just because.
I already have glow red, glow orange, glow yellow, glow blue, glow green and glow white.
It will be kinda fun to test out all these glow colors on the fish.
Now the hard part is deciding which jigs to put these paints on.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline rbalkevitch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Nov 13, 2019, 03:59 PM »
This doesnt seem right to me. We were testing with a purple jig (99% sure) and my 1100 lumen flashlight was able to fully charge it within seconds. Will test again today

Let me know how it turns out.  I have been testing with a 400 lumen LED.

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Nov 13, 2019, 11:35 PM »
I have a Ice Jager glo-cup that I really like, its mounted next to my fish finder.

WINTER IS COMING!

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Nov 14, 2019, 12:51 AM »
Most of us already have a great jig charger on us at all times and don’t even realize it. The flash on your cellphone. Works great. Having said that, in my experience, glow charge really comes down to how the jig was made. Some glows just suck. Some glows shine like the sun.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Michigan Mafia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Nov 14, 2019, 06:59 AM »
I wired the Glo Ring to my lithium shuttle. Works great! Leave it on the whole time I'm fishing with no issues.

Offline Finnt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Nov 14, 2019, 03:20 PM »
This is what I use only 11 bucks and it charges all  lures really good good and it works for tying fishing line to small jigs, makes the line light up like fiber-optic cable. Also I use a black uv flood light in the boat at night ,you can see all of the fishing lines in the rod holders it like having a fishing rave party in the boat

Offline Philip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Nov 14, 2019, 03:56 PM »
So looking at the "Venom Floats UV Light" on amazon, it lists "High-output 395-400nm SMD UV LED"

"Similarly, in the Chesapeake Bay Watermen Study, late ARMD was positively correlated to
cumulative sunlight exposure (Taylor et al. Arch Ophthalmol 1992; 110:99-104). Concerning
sunlight and retinal damage, ultraviolet radiation does not appear to be the causative agent as
UV is almost totally absorbed by the crystalline lens. Shorter wavelengths of the visible
spectrum (i.e. blue-light, 400 to 480 nm), however, show the greatest effects possibly due to
photochemical or photoxidative damage in the retinal pigment epithelium
((Taylor et al. Arch
Ophthalmol 1992;110:99-104, Roberts. J Photochem Photobiol B. 2001; 64:136-143, and Arnault
et al. Plos One 2013; 8:71398).

Additionally, in a recent study, porcine retinal pigment epithelial cells were exposed to visible
light in narrow bands between 380 and 520 nm. Loss of cell viability was correlated with
exposure was maximal for wavelengths between 415 and 455 nm. The chronic exposure
research support comes from the study of age-related maculopathy within the Beaver Dam
Study. Their results showed that persons who reported more than five hours a day of summer
sun exposure in their teens, in their 30s, and at the baseline examination, had a higher risk of
developing retinal changes indicative of early age-related maculopathy than those exposed for
less than two hours per day. Additionally, for those showing the high outdoor exposures, using a
hat or sunglasses decreased the risk of early ARM changes by nearly 50 percent. "
Per https://www.aoa.org/Documents/CRG/Blue%20Light%20and%20Eye%20Damage.pdf

Im trying to get a better grasp on what is cause for concern and what isnt, but I think that its hard to determine unless the LEDs are genuinely certified by a US lab
Team Comfy Skunks

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Nov 14, 2019, 05:45 PM »
 ???

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #29 on: Nov 14, 2019, 08:00 PM »
So looking at the "Venom Floats UV Light" on amazon, it lists "High-output 395-400nm SMD UV LED"

(Image removed from quote.)

"Similarly, in the Chesapeake Bay Watermen Study, late ARMD was positively correlated to
cumulative sunlight exposure (Taylor et al. Arch Ophthalmol 1992; 110:99-104). Concerning
sunlight and retinal damage, ultraviolet radiation does not appear to be the causative agent as
UV is almost totally absorbed by the crystalline lens. Shorter wavelengths of the visible
spectrum (i.e. blue-light, 400 to 480 nm), however, show the greatest effects possibly due to
photochemical or photoxidative damage in the retinal pigment epithelium
((Taylor et al. Arch
Ophthalmol 1992;110:99-104, Roberts. J Photochem Photobiol B. 2001; 64:136-143, and Arnault
et al. Plos One 2013; 8:71398).

Additionally, in a recent study, porcine retinal pigment epithelial cells were exposed to visible
light in narrow bands between 380 and 520 nm. Loss of cell viability was correlated with
exposure was maximal for wavelengths between 415 and 455 nm. The chronic exposure
research support comes from the study of age-related maculopathy within the Beaver Dam
Study. Their results showed that persons who reported more than five hours a day of summer
sun exposure in their teens, in their 30s, and at the baseline examination, had a higher risk of
developing retinal changes indicative of early age-related maculopathy than those exposed for
less than two hours per day. Additionally, for those showing the high outdoor exposures, using a
hat or sunglasses decreased the risk of early ARM changes by nearly 50 percent. "
Per https://www.aoa.org/Documents/CRG/Blue%20Light%20and%20Eye%20Damage.pdf

Im trying to get a better grasp on what is cause for concern and what isnt, but I think that its hard to determine unless the LEDs are genuinely certified by a US lab
I think I’m seeing a link to my steadily worsening eyesight and your comment of studies. I don’t like what is adding up   :'( :'( :'( :'(
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.