Author Topic: Ice Cleats  (Read 5936 times)

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
Ice Cleats
« on: Nov 06, 2019, 08:45 PM »
I have had Kahtoola spikes and was disappointed the rubber rotted and broke after 2 years.  I loved the spikes but they didn't last considering the cost.

Any suggestions?  My son has YakTrax XTR and they are starting their 3rd year and going strong.  Not sure they make them anymore.

I have size 14 Muck Artic Pro boots.  I wear size 13 shoes but the Artic Pros must run small.  I won't put screws into my soles.

Thanks for suggestions
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Ice Cleats
« Reply #1 on: Nov 06, 2019, 09:04 PM »
One season on sportsmen’s direct. They are similar to Kahoolawe but cheaper. They are damn nice and if I only get couple years out of em im good with that. Easy on n off.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #2 on: Nov 06, 2019, 09:37 PM »
knock offs on ebay for 12 to 18$ and come with a carry bag. i have them for those who go with me that have  nothing.

i use 3/8" kold kutter ice racing screws on all of my boots and like them over any cleats i've used and i've used the micro spikes and yak trax ect. protected 100% of the time on and off the lakes. no pressure points and custom layout the screw contact areas and doesn't change stride or profile.

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 06, 2019, 09:53 PM »
I have the knockoff Katoolas and they are half the cost and seem to hold up just as well.

Offline UnderTheIce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 06, 2019, 10:18 PM »
X2 on sportsmensdirect ice hopper creepers.  This will be my third season with them. Keep an eye on them, sometimes they do drop down half price.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 07, 2019, 06:17 AM »
I say Kahtoolas. I’ve worn mine over size 14 mucks for the last 3 seasons and haven’t had a single issue. Having said that, any creeper of that style is what I recommend whether it be Kahtoolas or ice hoppers.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #6 on: Nov 07, 2019, 06:30 AM »
I use Yaktrax. Some guys have had issues with them falling apart, but I've used them for 2 years and no issues. I do take them off when not using/needed to avoid having them under constant stress. Seems to be working.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Online filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Nov 07, 2019, 06:36 AM »

Kold kutters on my TA , 12 year old pair of micro on my Lacrosse

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 07, 2019, 06:54 AM »
Did you try contacting Kahtoola about your rotten cleats?  I have never had an issue with mine, but I've seen lots of posts on here from people who have had great experiences with Kahtoola's customer service.  It'd be worth a try, maybe you just got a bum set.

Online filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Nov 07, 2019, 07:08 AM »

They recommend when not in use take them off the boots , my bud had 2 pair that gave way do to leaving them on a pair of designated ice boots and the company booth times replaced them

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 07, 2019, 07:48 AM »
Thanks for the replies. I now remember asking about the warranty last season when they broke and forgot to message them.  I did this morning, but in the meantime I might buy some knock-offs just to have as extras. 

I did take them off the majority of the time, I just think they stretched a bit going over my size 14 boot. 

Thanks
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline bmaher287

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 07, 2019, 10:05 AM »
I wear size 15 Baffins....it is a struggle to find any that will fit that large of a boot.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #12 on: Nov 07, 2019, 10:12 AM »
I still can't believe no a single company/manufacturer can make a cleat for us ice fishing guys that will fit PAC boots.l comfortably...and functional.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Arlberg20

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 07, 2019, 10:27 AM »
i have the kathoolas and love them  but like some have said they are tough to get on the big pac boots  i modified a pair of cheaper ones to get on my big cabela sask boots  and i,ve bought a few other sets of cheaper ones and leave a pair in my shack and my truck

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Top 5 Pike:14-5,15-5,15-10,17-0,18-4, 2B cont.
« Reply #14 on: Nov 07, 2019, 10:29 AM »
I wear Muck 14s also. I use Korkers, and they fit perfectly over Muck boots. Only have one season on them so I don't know how long they last. I can't believe how well they go with Mucks though. Almost like they were made specifically for them.  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Nov 07, 2019, 10:30 AM »
After 5 years I just got a new set of the Eagle Claw ones.   $20. They perform flawlessly.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Nov 07, 2019, 10:33 AM »
After 5 years I just got a new set of the Eagle Claw ones.   $20. They perform flawlessly.

Got a pair last season as a spare/back up ..thanks for the review.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Nov 07, 2019, 10:35 AM »
YakTrax chains, they work better than the version with the coiled wire, and I don't need to take them off to drive.

I don't think they make these anymore under the YakTrax brand, now are sold as ICEtrekkers

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 07, 2019, 11:38 AM »

i use 3/8" kold kutter ice racing screws on all of my boots and like them over any cleats i've used and i've used the micro spikes and yak trax ect. protected 100% of the time on and off the lakes. no pressure points and custom layout the screw contact areas and doesn't change stride or profile.

ditto, ditto, ditto. A very few guys have complained that under a lot of pressure they can pull out. If you dip the screw point in just a little dab of Gorilla Glue 10 minute gel, not the kind that needs moisture to activate, they ain't coming out.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Nov 07, 2019, 02:52 PM »
another trick is to start the screw at an off angle (about 10 degrees) then tilt it back to the correct angle it will be on for walking. the two different angles help hold them in also.

Offline pete/ny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Nov 07, 2019, 06:41 PM »
I have been using 1/2" ice screws in my Muck boots for 10 years now. Had 3 come out in all that time.Had all kinds of the slip-on cleats and got rid of them when they stretched out and some rotted.Love my ice screws but do remember NOT to walk in someones house!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Finnt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 08, 2019, 08:41 AM »
These fit pac boots fine it's the only kind that I found to fit my 13 wide boots

Offline Luckydog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Nov 08, 2019, 05:30 PM »
I have two pairs of the Stabilicers shown above.  The XXL size fits my muck boots and my Cabela Extreme pac boots.

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Nov 09, 2019, 01:45 PM »
I use HT ice cleats.  My current ones are over 5 years old and still going strong.  If nothing else a good back up. 

Offline alaska mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Nov 10, 2019, 01:49 PM »
I have used stabilizers for a few years, then switched to kahtoolas and am more than happy with them. It is pretty much impossible to slip with them.
Any day on the ice with little to no wind, is a darn good day.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Nov 11, 2019, 05:30 AM »
I picked up a pair of RedCamp 19 tooth ice cleats. They are the same thing as the Kahtoolas but ¼ the price. I'm on my 3rd year and they work great. The only time I had problems was when walking in slush around a hole and then they freeze up solid. I had to take them off and bust the ice off (pretty easy) and put them back on. I figure it's just the nature of the beast!

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Nov 11, 2019, 05:40 AM »

any chance you have a picture of how you set them up?
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Nov 11, 2019, 07:13 AM »

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Nov 11, 2019, 07:24 AM »
Thanks 3300
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Nov 11, 2019, 07:34 AM »
I use HT ice cleats.  My current ones are over 5 years old and still going strong.  If nothing else a good back up.

I had those on my Titans but they kept coming off---switched to Kahoota knock-offs.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.