Author Topic: I HATE IT 🤬  (Read 7248 times)

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
I HATE IT 🤬
« on: Nov 01, 2019, 11:50 AM »
It doesn't matter what knot I use or what gadget/gizmo I try to make it easier, I am all thumbs when it comes to tying tiny az jigs to line that is finer than my hair...which I don't have much of. And it's not that my hands or fingers are big 'cause they're not, and my eyes are good...with glasses. But paint dries faster than the time it takes me to tie on a friggin' hook!!! We all enjoy ice fishing but there is always that one "thing" we struggle with that makes us want to ( 😡fill in the blank 😡 ). So what is your one bane to ice fishing that, at times, puts you on the brink of insanity? My rant is over ..until I start tying more jigs.🙄
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: I HATE IT 🤬
« Reply #1 on: Nov 01, 2019, 12:05 PM »
Fishing in deep snow ie 12+”.  Takes more effort to stay mobile and punch lots of holes searching for the hotspot. 

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 01, 2019, 12:15 PM »
Slush, especially DEEP slush that is over my Sorels. We had lots of it last year and made things miserable and untenable.

Hoping for better days this year.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline gorf37

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 01, 2019, 12:44 PM »
I hate finding a grid of set-lines sitting right on top of my favorite jigging spot.  Our lakes are giant, but rather than figuring out their own spots people would rather follow my snowmachine track to my holes and fish exactly where I like to fish.  One thing soft-water has going for it is doesn't leave evidence.

Speaking of evidence, I also hate finding people's garbage on the ice.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #4 on: Nov 01, 2019, 12:47 PM »
Ok mine is getting to the lake super early in the morning to find out theres a tournament.the tournament isnt what bothers me tho ,its the early morning loud drunks!!jmo

Offline JohnJ1981

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DEUS VULT
« Reply #5 on: Nov 01, 2019, 01:01 PM »
I hate when there is NO ICE!!!😡
“Some of us are wise, and some of us are otherwise” M.R. Levin...

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 01, 2019, 01:23 PM »
Pennsylvania for not letting us use any form of motorized/powered assistance to get on and off the ice.  Really sucks when your mobility is impaired.

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline Northern_MN Outdoorsan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 01, 2019, 01:40 PM »
Our lakes are giant, but rather than figuring out their own spots people would rather follow my snowmachine track to my holes and fish exactly where I like to fish.  One thing soft-water has going for it is doesn't leave evidence.

I despise both of these things.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 01, 2019, 02:05 PM »
When the beer freezes and gets to be more slush than beer. How am I supposed to pound that beer in one gulp when it's half slush? Then I end up going for the whiskey a lot sooner than I should in the day. It's a vicious cycle.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #9 on: Nov 01, 2019, 02:16 PM »
When the beer freezes and gets to be more slush than beer. How am I supposed to pound that beer in one gulp when it's half slush? Then I end up going for the whiskey a lot sooner than I should in the day. It's a vicious cycle.

🤣 How about something in between beer and whiskey...like schnapps 🤔
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline docbas

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 01, 2019, 02:56 PM »
Michigan winters!!!!  Cold enough to get some ice, then has to warm up and rain, then get cold again and start the cycle over!  Oh, and the fact that the ice fishing season is too short here.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 01, 2019, 03:03 PM »
🤣 How about something in between beer and whiskey...like schnapps 🤔

Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 01, 2019, 03:09 PM »
SW Ohio ice fishing, or the lack thereof!! :%$#!: :whistle:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 01, 2019, 03:50 PM »
I’d have to go with deep snow or slush! Those are my biggest peeves. Walk up to a cleared hole, but then stepping near it causes slush to fill it in.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #14 on: Nov 01, 2019, 04:10 PM »
Wind! There is nothing better than getting to the ramp, the sun is just pinking the western horizon air is dead calm, get the flip over ready, off cutting some exploratory holes, the sun comes up over the horizon, your around 60 yards from your shack and whoosh the wind comes up and if you’re lucky the shanty was close to some standing timber down wind. Cause of Course since the the wind was dead calm and you were so antsy to find fish you forgot how the wind comes up with the sun!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 01, 2019, 04:37 PM »
Seeing nets out and frozen beer. 

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #16 on: Nov 01, 2019, 04:44 PM »
I hate finding a grid of set-lines sitting right on top of my favorite jigging spot.  Our lakes are giant, but rather than figuring out their own spots people would rather follow my snowmachine track to my holes and fish exactly where I like to fish.  One thing soft-water has going for it is doesn't leave evidence.

X2 and I would still sit right on my spot even if I have to go in the middle of the sets. And the walk period.
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline marknpanfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 01, 2019, 05:19 PM »
Snow and wind. Some winters we don't get much snow, but there always seems to be wind. Did I mention that I hate wind?

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Nov 01, 2019, 05:26 PM »
 I just move off to the next spot,  first come first served , if you share a good spot that you found , why wouldn’t they set on it ,there is a word for this behavior

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #19 on: Nov 01, 2019, 05:48 PM »
I just move off to the next spot,  first come first served , if you share a good spot that you found , why wouldn’t they set on it ,there is a word for this behavior
Sorry to say don’t share unless you want to be taken advantage of. Lots of folks don’t get it! And if it happens like Mr. Young says walk on.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Nov 01, 2019, 05:54 PM »

I agree if you share you run a risk , but you do find out who you can trust

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 01, 2019, 06:17 PM »
having to trudge through snow across the ice. more than 3" is a pain in my ass.  As for you Knot problem, try the Polomar knot. if you can't get the line through the jig eye a 2nd time, use the cinch knot. Those are the only 2 knots I use

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 01, 2019, 07:29 PM »
I'm usually pretty quick to be on first ice however my pain is this. I walk out with a life vest on chisel and stop check every few feet have ice cleats on and ice picks in case of a breakthrough get out there start to fish never fails every year some clown comes out no chisel, picks or life vest, tennis shoes on scoots along out to me and asks how thick  the ice is I always reply well when you came out the water was moving up and down my hole about 2.5 inches of ice. I fish alone a lot after that comment ;D I try to be safe if i'm going out there but to not even be prepared is beyond me.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 01, 2019, 10:00 PM »
I'm usually pretty quick to be on first ice however my pain is this. I walk out with a life vest on chisel and stop check every few feet have ice cleats on and ice picks in case of a breakthrough get out there start to fish never fails every year some clown comes out no chisel, picks or life vest, tennis shoes on scoots along out to me and asks how thick  the ice is I always reply well when you came out the water was moving up and down my hole about 2.5 inches of ice. I fish alone a lot after that comment ;D I try to be safe if i'm going out there but to not even be prepared is beyond me.

It’s amazing how safe someone can feel just because there’s someone else out there. A few years ago, a bay on a lake here kept getting blown open. So you could go from 15 inches of ice to 8-10 real fast. We drove out right to the edge where it was still 15 inches and a pickup came barreling out, after we had setup, right in front of us. The ice was moving. They were on ten inches of ice. They jumped out, drilled a hole, walked backwards to the truck and drove out in reverse!

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Nov 01, 2019, 10:10 PM »
I hate seeing trash, if you bring in out take it with you.

I also hate slush.
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #25 on: Nov 02, 2019, 06:18 AM »

Yep almost every trip I pick up trash 😡

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #26 on: Nov 02, 2019, 07:06 AM »
Setting up in my go-to spot where I usually can count on getting steady action with pike and crappies - and going all day to get skunked. Happens at least once a season and I can't figure out why the fish totally leave the area   occassionaly ???
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Nov 02, 2019, 09:50 AM »
As much as I dislike dealing with slush covered ice, I'm going with the sudden finding of a snow covered 10" augered hole with my size 9 boot...  :woot:

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Nov 02, 2019, 10:15 AM »
As much as I dislike dealing with slush covered ice, I'm going with the sudden finding of a snow covered 10" augered hole with my size 9 boot...  :woot:
Ultimately, same effect as deep slush...HATE, HATE, HATE :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!:
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Nov 02, 2019, 10:17 AM »

I got rid of my 10" auger a few years ago after going through it with a foot of slush on the ice.  Man did that do a number on my knee! I'm changing my answer to this!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.