The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Pike Bite  (Read 1400 times)

Offline Pike Panther

• IceShanty Rookie
Pike Bite
« on: Feb 12, 2019, 05:12 PM »
The pike bite has been a little slow this year.  The size of the winners in the derby were not too impressive either.  Fished the Gut a couple times & Campbel's twice as well with very average results in both places.  Anybody heard about how well they are doing in Goose & Gander or other places?

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
Re: Pike Bite
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2019, 06:06 PM »
There were a few groups that caught a lot of pike in that area, but
All small.
Biggest ones were 10-11 lbs.
A lot of 6-8 pounders.
Too many people keeping females is the problem.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline gogetthegaff

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2019, 06:37 PM »
There were a few groups that caught a lot of pike in that area, but
All small.
Biggest ones were 10-11 lbs.
A lot of 6-8 pounders.
Too many people keeping females is the problem.
Agreed. I don't think anybody needs to keep a limit of pike. I know I'm probably going to get S@!t for saying that. But IMO if you want one for the table keep a 3-4# male and let the rest go so they can grow. But to each his own I guess.
Ice fishing is a social activity that may occasionally be interrupted by the catching of fish.

Offline EyERipLip

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Above the Ice, under the influence
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2019, 10:01 PM »
Agreed pike limit is too high and too small. Theyre a great resource to the state if only they would recognize it

Offline Pike Panther

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2019, 05:57 AM »
I couldn't agree more with the comments about too many big pike being kept.  I wrote to Shawn Good, the state fish biologist about a slot limit last year.  He agreed that it would be a fantastic idea but he didn't think it was anything that was going to happen soon.  I appreciate everyone who lets the bigger females go.  The only way to get a 15+ pound fish is if you are willing to let a 10+ pound fish go.  They only grow a pound a year and every fish over 5 pounds is a female.   I finally got really close to 15 pounds last year with this 14 lb, 12oz.  She went back down the hole along with many others last year in the 9-12 pound range.   

Offline KillerFish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2019, 08:26 AM »
In Massachusetts there is a one pike a day limit - and the vast majority of anglers (90%+) release all they catch - the results are clear, many 20+ pounders caught every year. My biggest this year was 17, my biggest last year was 22. Gotta release the big females.

Mass has terrific trophy pike fishing.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2019, 09:18 AM »
In Massachusetts there is a one pike a day limit - and the vast majority of anglers (90%+) release all they catch - the results are clear, many 20+ pounders caught every year. My biggest this year was 17, my biggest last year was 22. Gotta release the big females.

One of these years im getting down there to pike fish.
Ive seen pics of some beautiful pike that are caught in MA.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline Pike Panther

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2019, 09:44 AM »
That is awesome.  I have seen some pics from Mass of really big pike and on very small bodies of water.  Good luck catching some more of those big ones.  Sounds very exciting.

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2019, 10:06 AM »
I agree..Bite has been slow and small. I've always had issues with the pike limits here for the 20yrs of living here. ive watched the sizes decline over the years and the only thing that gives the pike a break is a bad ice year.
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Offline Pike Panther

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2019, 10:39 AM »
We had great fishing 2014-2017.  Many fish 8-11 pounds almost everytime we went and really good numbers of fish too.  Ice fishing 2018 was a little less productive, the spring of 2018 was pretty good and then when summer hit, I couldn't find them in almost any of my go to spots.  Even in water up to 30 feet nothing was going on.  I was excited for ice fishing however, the past 5 times out have been below average.  I'm thinking its got something to do with whatever the alwives are doing. 

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2019, 12:03 PM »

There are big fish around but beware there are also many flag less days when you chase them.  We def don't have the numbers that other states do but there are some big ones around.  KillerFish how many hours do you say you've dedicated to pike fishing this year to get a 17?  I've spent a solid 60+hours pike fishing and haven't even got a double digit this year.
westernmas on the finder

Offline EyERipLip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 13, 2019, 02:21 PM »
I agree..Bite has been slow and small. I've always had issues with the pike limits here for the 20yrs of living here. ive watched the sizes decline over the years and the only thing that gives the pike a break is a bad ice year.
Same here slow fishing and dinks mostly. Been trying to get on the salmon give the toothies a break ...... till spring that is!!

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 13, 2019, 02:44 PM »
here they were in the shallows for only a short time. gf had one of the biggest iv seen break off 12lb fluoro. have not see one in a while.

Offline Pike Panther

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2019, 03:09 PM »
Good luck with the salmon.  There wasn't a single salmon entered in the Island Derby.  A 17" would have stolen the purse.

Offline Hess

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 13, 2019, 03:48 PM »
We release all the pike we catch -- hardwater or softwater...!!

Offline KillerFish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 13, 2019, 04:21 PM »
There are big fish around but beware there are also many flag less days when you chase them.  We def don't have the numbers that other states do but there are some big ones around.  KillerFish how many hours do you say you've dedicated to pike fishing this year to get a 17?  I've spent a solid 60+hours pike fishing and haven't even got a double digit this year.

Lol - at least a hundred by now I’d guess. That’s definitely a good and valid point

Offline EyERipLip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 13, 2019, 04:26 PM »
Good luck with the salmon.  There wasn't a single salmon entered in the Island Derby.  A 17" would have stolen the purse.
Im in central vt plenty of opportunities around here. People have been doing well

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.