The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: wind forecast accuracy  (Read 1123 times)

Offline rebel15

• IceShanty Rookie
wind forecast accuracy
« on: Feb 05, 2019, 08:53 AM »
just curious what everybody might be using as a accurate source of wind speed stuff. Living in South Burlington, the airport info is usually accurate for here but Georgia shore or the Gut may be a whole different animal and not blowing like it is here. wind seems to be always blowing through the valley..hate losing fishing time because of it..thanks 

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
Re: wind forecast accuracy
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2019, 08:57 AM »
I use WINDY and it seems accurate for my area.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2019, 10:13 AM »
Wunderground seems to be in the ballpark most times.  Then again, it seems like any time you are near Lake Champlain you can expect to add 10mph to whatever is forecast!

Offline fishermarsh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2019, 10:51 AM »
Windfinder is usually pretty accurate.  I use the Diamond Island location because that's where I live, but there are a bunch of locations up in the islands as well as the NY side.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2019, 11:04 AM »
I use WINDY and it seems accurate for my area.

Same here very pleased.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2019, 11:36 AM »
Personally, I rely on the National Weather Service Recreational Forecast for Champlain weather. https://www.weather.gov/btv/recreation
It show's you the forecast for an area off of Colchester Point, but if you click on the Lake Point Forecasts map, then you can click on your area of interest and it will give you a full forecast and a nice hourly wind and wave graph. The Graphical Lake forecast is also helpful in the summer for seeing wave heights throughout the lake.
Perch bait- a small minnow that can have big results in the ice fishing game.  :icefish:
My Blog: https://jacobcrawford8.wixsite.com/pboutdooradventure

Offline Nthaburgh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2019, 11:58 AM »
X2 to what Crayfish said
"I've come to know the cold...I think of it as home" -G&R

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2019, 12:17 PM »
I use NWS rec forecast, and then look at Wunderground real time. Echo Center has an accurate gage as well. In the summer when there are data buoys out I check those before leaving the house as well. I have found that none alone are worth anything, but in combination you can usually get a good idea. I generally will not touch Champ if any of them forecast over 10mph, as that is ALWAYS 15-20.

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2019, 03:56 PM »
The wind always seems to be more than forecast at least at my place on North Hero.
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 05, 2019, 04:27 PM »
Personally, I rely on the National Weather Service Recreational Forecast for Champlain weather. https://www.weather.gov/btv/recreation
It show's you the forecast for an area off of Colchester Point, but if you click on the Lake Point Forecasts map, then you can click on your area of interest and it will give you a full forecast and a nice hourly wind and wave graph. The Graphical Lake forecast is also helpful in the summer for seeing wave heights throughout the lake.
x2 me to

Offline rebel15

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 05, 2019, 05:28 PM »
lots of great info, thanks I will check them all out

Offline woodyvt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • When the going is tough. The tough go ice fishing!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 06, 2019, 05:25 AM »
I use the eWeather HD app. Found it to be pretty accurate for the most part. The one thing I would like to find out is where the info gathering stations are exactly. For example-the other day I was fishing inner mallets bay in Colchester and app said 10mph, but there was no wind. Could the reading been taken near the National Guard base by the fort?

Needless to say still happy with it and find it very helpful planning where to fish.

The closest flag up may be the one that is behind you !

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.