The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Things other than fish coming through the hole  (Read 1017 times)

Offline A1

• IceShanty Rookie
Things other than fish coming through the hole
« on: Dec 04, 2016, 04:32 PM »
Had a muskrat come up through the hole last season while fishing Dentons on Georgetown. Popped his head up enough to take a quick breath and dropped back down.  Was wondering if thats a pretty random thing or if anybody else has had a similar experience? It made us laugh pretty hard  Thanks

Offline greenmonster57

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Things other than fish coming through the hole
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2016, 05:28 PM »
We had a muskrat that was popping in and out of a few holes we had drilled one time.  Fishing was slow, and I bet my dad 50 bucks he couldn't grab it.  He came closer than I thought he would ever get, and the thing turned around and jumped at him with some pretty impressive teeth.  Panic ensued on my dads part, while the rest of us were falling off our buckets we were laughing so hard.  One of the better bets ive ever made.

Offline Cranker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2016, 09:37 PM »
We've actually caught probably 4-5 muskrats on tips ups through the hand (they are darn good at stealing smelt also).  Also had them knock tip ups down the hole trying to crawl out from under the ice.  Usually happens really early ice for some reason.

Offline pmmpete

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2016, 11:52 PM »
On Seeley Lake, in an area near the inlet where there are natural holes caused by gas bubbles, I frequently see otters moving from hole to hole around the edge of the lake.  When fishing for pike, I've been afraid that one will grab my bait fish, but fortunately that has never happened.

Offline Troutcreekmatt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2016, 12:19 PM »
Had a mink grab a perch from the edge of the hole and then escape under the edge of shelter
Tcmatt

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.