The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Crappie on McGwinneger slough?  (Read 1320 times)

Offline Aaron072

• Team IceShanty Addict
Crappie on McGwinneger slough?
« on: Jan 19, 2010, 11:16 PM »
I've been hearing a lot of reports of good crappie fishing just wondering if anyone has tried it or has any tips
is it wrong to be turned on by an icehole?

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
Re: Crappie on McGwinneger slough?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2010, 08:36 AM »
I fished them last year at the slough, but haven't had a chance to get over there this year....

They are in there but their numbers aren't that great...no giants either.   It has been getting hit pretty hard this year for a very small body of water...  Not sure how long the good fishin' will hold out!!!

Offline Aaron072

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2010, 09:07 AM »
they really need to put catch and release limits on so that we could get a few lakes around with some nice crappie
I've heard that blanchard has them to but a lot of people hit it and take the fish home. don't get me wrong iwould love to eat some crappie but i'd much rather get them well established around the flathead valley first.

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2010, 02:00 PM »
I'm not sure what the intrigue around Crappie is myself, I mean they are fun to catch but pound for pound Sunfish fight harder.  I personally am not to fond of the softish flesh of Crappie.  I like firmer fish like Pike or Bull Trout.

Blanchard has the biggest Crappie around. 

Offline Aaron072

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2010, 06:08 PM »
what size are they running in both lakes

Offline wingnutty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2010, 07:30 PM »
I don't know what it is about crappie, but they are by far my favorite fish.  I just love fishing for them.  They are a tough fish to target because they are so unpredictable; sometimes they are on the bottom in weeds, sometimes rocky structure, sometimes shallow, sometimes deep, often suspended anywhere within the water column.

The reason I like them so much is probably because I grew up in Hamilton, probably the furthest place from crappie fishing in the nation ;D  I went to WI for a few years and just had a great time targeting them.  Now I'm still not near great crappie water, but they remain my favorite fish.

In terms of eating them, I find them identical to perch, walleye and gill, which makes them among the best imo, but all fish are for the birds anyway, I wouldn't care if I never ate another fish. 

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2010, 08:40 PM »
what size are they running in both lakes

Biggest I have seen personally out of Blanchard was 15" and biggest I've seen out of the slough is 10".

Offline heine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 17, 2010, 10:32 PM »
So does anyone know if it is worth going to McGwinneger for crappie or just go somewhere else becuz i would like to know if there are any in there to catch cuz i have never caught 1 any info is appreciated

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.