The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Spearing on Echo Lake  (Read 880 times)

Offline cjwohlsc

• IceShanty Rookie
Spearing on Echo Lake
« on: Feb 28, 2019, 09:31 AM »
Does anyone have advice for spearing pike on Echo Lake or just where the fish hang and what they prefer?  We typically spear on Stillwater.  Looking to try something different, we will be walking out so a good bay that's a close walk from a public access where good luck has been had in the past would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks guys.  BTW Ashley lake is hot for salmon as most of you probably know.  44' 75 fish in 2 hours between 4 people.

Mizayikaa

Re: Spearing on Echo Lake
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2019, 10:22 AM »
This should be good.

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2019, 10:52 AM »
Does anyone have advice for spearing pike on Echo Lake or just where the fish hang and what they prefer?  We typically spear on Stillwater.  Looking to try something different, we will be walking out so a good bay that's a close walk from a public access where good luck has been had in the past would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks guys.  BTW Ashley lake is hot for salmon as most of you probably know.  44' 75 fish in 2 hours between 4 people.

There is only one fishing access at Echo Lake that I am aware of, the boat ramp area.  You gotta get there early cause it will fill up fast.  Never speared there, or anywhere for that matter, but if I was gonna spear I would walk directly west, past the first island and set up on the south west side of that island.  You are allowed 2 pike.  Make sure to read the regulations for that lake.  Some restrictions in the winter for bass. 

Here is a link to the Lake mapping. http://fwp.mt.gov/gis/maps/fishingGuide/?llid=1140423481273&type=lake&toggleLayers=%5b%27River%20Mile%20Points%27%5d&   Use the filters on the left to detail the items you want.  Good Luck.
wish you many hook-ups

Offline cjwohlsc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2019, 08:40 AM »
Thanks for the tips, I did target some perch out by the island a year or two ago...only caught a couple.  I found an old timer that used to spear out there and is taking us to "the spot"!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.