Author Topic: Lighting for portable hub  (Read 819 times)

Offline Roughnek

• IceShanty Rookie
Lighting for portable hub
« on: Jan 16, 2024, 08:34 AM »
What is the easiest way to put lights in a hub shelter aka otter or clam size 6x8 footprint.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Lighting for portable hub
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2024, 08:49 AM »
I run these in my thermal Eskimo Sierra as does my buddy in his Eskimo 2600  I use a knock of Milwaukee power source from Amazon ...both M18 and M12...ezpz up the 10 ft color is nice as it can be used in my Eskimo 650XD..I would not recommend leaving them installed all the time.

https://www.amazon.com/LED-Rope-Light-Lantern-Outdoor/dp/B07DX8FH47/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=2JX12F4B837TY&keywords=power%2Bpractical%2Bluminoodle%2B10&qid=1705416608&sprefix=power%2Bpractical%2Bluminoodle%2B10%2Caps%2C195&sr=8-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Dan in NH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2024, 08:54 AM »

this is what I use. Bass Pro has them

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2024, 08:56 AM »
I have LED strips (weather tight, silicon sealed) from Amazon zip tied on my ceiling.  You need to solder wires, or purchase a connector to fit onto the ends.  Wire these down to a 12 volt battery. 

Other methods are to purchase Clam, Otter, or Hawg lights and mount them. Plenty of different manufacturers out there to add a light.  Just depends on what you are looking for - quick hang, or mounted.  Prices are all over the board depending on what you want. 

I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline Finnt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2024, 08:59 AM »
Usb Luma noodle led lantern they are good and you can change the color and get the usb computer 3 speed fan that's all you need

Offline LingEater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2024, 02:58 PM »
I like this one, super bright, three brightness settings, can charge it in the car and battery will last a couple nights.

https://www.amazon.com/10000mAh-Flashlight-Rechargeable-Waterproof-Emergency/dp/B08YY4S4PJ?th=1

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2024, 03:05 PM »
I really like the clam hub light. Have it setup to plug into the charge cord on my Garmin. It depends on how bright you're looking for tho, some people get a bit excessive

Offline gutshot_again

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2024, 09:49 PM »
I have LED strips (weather tight, silicon sealed) from Amazon zip tied on my ceiling.  You need to solder wires, or purchase a connector to fit onto the ends.  Wire these down to a 12 volt battery. 

Other methods are to purchase Clam, Otter, or Hawg lights and mount them. Plenty of different manufacturers out there to add a light.  Just depends on what you are looking for - quick hang, or mounted.  Prices are all over the board depending on what you want.

I have these strips from Amazon as well.  I use a portable jump starter as a power supply and have the light strips on power plug.  Also connect a couple 12 volt computer fan to the jump starter as well.  One fan above heater to blow heat down and around, the other to exhaust the moist air.  I use strips of velco clones from Amazon to attach to ceiling as it's easy on, easy off.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2024, 01:11 AM »
I just use a Cabelas portable LED tent lantern.  Tie a foot or two of starter rope to the handle, tie an overhand stopper knot in the other end and run it between the fiberglass pole and outer hub fabric at the top.  You don’t even need to tie it.  It’ll stay put.

Offline defish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2024, 08:15 AM »
Anyone use a Coleman LP lantern? It would make light and heat.

Offline ryguy80

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 17, 2024, 09:32 AM »
+1 for the Clam Hub Light. It's clean looking and nothing to setup or take down each time. Just wrap the wire along one of the roof spokes for installing, then tuck the alligator clips in the mesh pocket.
YouTube - Wissota Fishing

Offline Sturno

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2024, 09:37 AM »
"Assumption is the mother of all screw-ups."

Offline Sturno

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 17, 2024, 09:40 AM »

That is what I used to use....agreed - a little of both. Then had a strong wind when I was tending to a tip up that shifted it slightly a put a hole in it (my old Frabill XL sled).

Never tried suspending it but didn't like worrying about it and no matter where you put it - it always seems to be glaring in your eyes.
"Assumption is the mother of all screw-ups."

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2024, 09:52 AM »

Loved using a lantern in my one man, in the hub it wasn't enough heat for me

Offline Thebeardedwaterfowler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2024, 09:59 AM »
I take the simple route. I hang a wide beam headlamp or a small battery-powered lantern from the center hub. No need to bring another power source. It provides plenty of light.

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2024, 02:32 PM »
I have a strip of adhesive LED lights from Walmart  about 30" long?  They're are the things that kids put in their cars.  Several colors available in the auto section About $25
  I carry a very small motorcycle battery which will last 2 days when fully charged.  Just stuck them to an overhead bar, Ran a wire down with alligator clamps and done.  Works very well

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.