Author Topic: Dog chewed into transducer cable of Vexilar FL-8  (Read 6217 times)

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Dog chewed into transducer cable of Vexilar FL-8
« on: Jan 20, 2009, 10:55 AM »
New dog likes to chew cords.*&^%$!  I shouldn't have left it on the floor for her to get at.  :embarassed:

Two wires inside the sheet, one is intact other is chewed through. Anyone know if it can be respliced like a regular wire or are the transducer cables more touchy? I do know I will have to water proof it well if I resplice it.

I can pick up another transducer and cable if I have to but of course don't want to if I don't have to.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
Re: Dog chewed into transducer cable of Vexilar FL-8
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2009, 11:05 AM »
Very fine wire but you can solder it .

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2009, 11:09 AM »
Very fine wire but you can solder it .

So as long as it's connected it should work out? Not like an optic cable where every strand must be connected!  :o  ;D
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2009, 11:15 AM »
I had to repair one for a friend and his worked out , granted only one wire had to be fixed .

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2009, 11:16 AM »
I had to repair one for a friend and his worked out .

Did you solder it or twist the wire together and tape?

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2009, 11:17 AM »
Nickle solder and light flux , what I used was real thin diameter solder made for electronics and an iron with a small point

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2009, 12:20 PM »
Just in case you may want to train your dog to sniff out fish ...

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2009, 12:26 PM »
taxidermist, i think there is another thread on here somewhere on how to do this.  I know when I accidently hit my ducer cord with the auger about 2" above the ducer, I put some low temp heat shrink over the cut and then sealed it all with goop, and it has been going strong for 2 years now...so that might be a good way to go once you get the tedious soldering done.

Offline ih772

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2009, 03:41 PM »
Solder it back together and cover it with some sort of rubberized splicing tape. The self vulcanizing kind works well.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2009, 03:43 PM »
Just in case you may want to train your dog to sniff out fish ...

NBG

She is an a Japanese dog (Akita). When I first brought her home the fish taxidermy studio was fascinating to her. Probably thought it was sushi heaven.  ;D

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2009, 04:01 PM »
New dog likes to chew cords.*&^%$!  I shouldn't have left it on the floor for her to get at.  :embarassed:

Two wires inside the sheet, one is intact other is chewed through. Anyone know if it can be respliced like a regular wire or are the transducer cables more touchy? I do know I will have to water proof it well if I resplice it.

I can pick up another transducer and cable if I have to but of course don't want to if I don't have to.

Man.. you have bad luck!! First the underwater camera and now this?

I would just look into buying a new one. Maybe contact them through customer service and see if you can get it replaced, if not try playing it off like it got cold and snapped. You might be able to get a free one if its under warrenty.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2009, 04:15 PM »
She is an a Japanese dog (Akita). When I first brought her home the fish taxidermy studio was fascinating to her. Probably thought it was sushi heaven.  ;D

Not many people have these dogs. They are a very cool and samrt animal (I'm pretty sure they could even spell the word "smart" better than me  ;D ). My dad picked one of them out as his gift from himself for surviving his heart surgery nine years ago.

NBG

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #12 on: Jan 20, 2009, 04:26 PM »
Man.. you have bad luck!! First the underwater camera and now this?

try playing it off like it got cold and snapped. You might be able to get a free one if its under warrenty.

You're talking to the wrong person if you think he's that dishonest , not to mention that is known as THEFT BY DECEPTION

Offline tip one up

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 20, 2009, 05:03 PM »
use a thin solder with the flux embedded in it,a small diameter solder tip a piece of shrink tubing. All of this you can get at radio shack.Heat the soldering iron to 700deg.f with the shrink tubing on one side of break, solder together then slide the shrink tubing over the splice and heat with a hair dryer on high and that should do it.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Jan 20, 2009, 05:41 PM »
use a thin solder with the flux embedded in it,a small diameter solder tip a piece of shrink tubing. All of this you can get at radio shack.Heat the soldering iron to 700deg.f with the shrink tubing on one side of break, solder together then slide the shrink tubing over the splice and heat with a hair dryer on high and that should do it.

Then cover the patch with liquid electrical tape and it will last for ever.

http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Liquid_Tape_-_Electrical_Insulation

Offline Junior88

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Captain Insano Shows No Mercy !
« Reply #15 on: Jan 20, 2009, 05:46 PM »
My dog ate my hunting boots. My dog ate most of my couch. My dog ate my favorite turkey call. I forgave him. If he chewed on my vexilar, I would be burying him.

Trooper Bri

« Reply #16 on: Jan 20, 2009, 05:59 PM »
If you aren't handy with a soldering gun taxidermist, i am. Be more than happy to fix the cable for you if you want to mail it to me. No charge of course.

I'm also very handy with automotive glass, so i have urethane and primers at hand that will make that break as waterproof as possible too.

Shoot me a PM if you can't get it done locally. A complete stranger did me a favor here on IS, and i intend to pay it forward one way or another. ;)

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 20, 2009, 06:18 PM »
You're talking to the wrong person if you think he's that dishonest , not to mention that is known as THEFT BY DECEPTION

Actually I've tried the deceptive route. It doesn't work for me. The truth is written all over my face. Ask my wife.  :embarassed:

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 20, 2009, 06:25 PM »
Not many people have these dogs. They are a very cool and samrt animal (I'm pretty sure they could even spell the word "smart" better than me  ;D ). My dad picked one of them out as his gift from himself for surviving his heart surgery nine years ago.

NBG

All I can say is I'm still trying to figure this one out. Very affectionate at times and has to be near you, and at other times she's very independent and aloof. Also a little stubborn. Barks and growls at my customers which I am working on. I have no problems in public but I guess she's protective of her home turf. Picked her up at a shelter so I don't know her past.

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #19 on: Jan 22, 2009, 10:07 AM »
So how are the repairs coming along ?

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 22, 2009, 11:20 AM »
So how are the repairs coming along ?

Trooper Bri is taking care of it. He didn't want anything for doing so but I sent him something and some money anyway.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #21 on: Jan 22, 2009, 11:36 AM »
All I can say is I'm still trying to figure this one out. Very affectionate at times and has to be near you, and at other times she's very independent and aloof. Also a little stubborn. Barks and growls at my customers which I am working on. I have no problems in public but I guess she's protective of her home turf. Picked her up at a shelter so I don't know her past.

I'm pretty sure they were originally bred as fighting dogs for military support. They are very protective but also very intelligent and with very little effort can be trained to suit your needs. She will figure out what's normal activity in you business and will eventually want to greet your customers with a wagging tail.

NBG

Offline mcully

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 22, 2009, 11:49 AM »
Friend of mine just had his pass away and it growled and barked at me everytime I stopped at the house but wagged the tail the whole time until I pet her. Big brute but very affectionate.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 22, 2009, 12:35 PM »
I'm pretty sure they were originally bred as fighting dogs for military support. They are very protective but also very intelligent and with very little effort can be trained to suit your needs. She will figure out what's normal activity in you business and will eventually want to greet your customers with a wagging tail.

NBG

Sounds good. Thanks.

I did some research on the Internet and they were originally used as hunting dogs (bear) and as guard dogs. I'm sure guard dog encompasses military too. Were almost wiped out after WWII in Japan due to a rabies outbreak and Japanese had trouble feeding themselves let alone dogs.  One man brought them back from the brink of extinction secretly in the northern snow country of Japan. 

She has an incredible nose and goes into hunting mode when i take outside. She's really wants this rabbit on the property bad!   :o She also digs under the snow for mice. :D

She's coming along on training. I just have to keep at it consistently on a daily basis. Where a lot of people go wrong on training a dog IMHO is they are haphazard and inconsistent about it.

It will be a while before I can take her out without a lease though. She has slipped out the door a couple of times and starts a cross country trek right away. Last time she took off on me she missed being hit on the highway by a couple of inches. The car saw her in the road but never slowed down. (Not their fault but I'm always puzzled by people that don't slow down when the see a deer or dog in or near the road. Then they hit it and call it bad luck. Here's your sign!

Here's the little cord chomper now:

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #24 on: Jan 22, 2009, 12:43 PM »
You're exactly rite with consistency , each person involved with the animal has to be on the same page also .
All the commands the dog is expected to learn has to be the same from master to master  .
I had that issue with my German Shorthair and my kids using different commands for the same expected result . Down means down  not  down and off expecting the same result with different commands .

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 22, 2009, 12:47 PM »
You're exactly rite with consistency , each person involved with the animal has to be on the same page also .
All the commands the dog is expected to learn has to be the same from master to master  .
I had that issue with my German Shorthair and my kids using different commands for the same expected result . Down means down  not  down and off expecting the same result with different commands .

Poor dog was probably confused.  :D  I'm surprised some dogs out there don't just lay down and think "Ah f**k it!"

Ever watch the Dog Whisperer on NGEO? I love that show! It's usually worth a few laughs at the expense of the dog owners too.   :roflmao:

Oh one more thing: This dog can really rip some stinkers! I thought I was bad!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.