Author Topic: clam hub or shappell 5000 ?  (Read 2503 times)

Offline robertjp1

• IceShanty Rookie
clam hub or shappell 5000 ?
« on: Jan 19, 2009, 06:26 PM »
Does anyone have either of these pop up tents? Was wondering how you like them, where to get them and which is better? Thanks BP    clam hub 2man or Shappell 5000 ?

Offline slip_knot

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: clam hub or shappell 5000 ?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2009, 06:48 PM »
I have used Shappell houses for years and have never had a problem with any of them. Very well made product that stands up to moderate abuse. I can not speak for the 5000 itself, but the company makes a quality product.
I am human. I am a predator. Don't ask me why I'm staring down a hole, waiting for a fish to bite. Its instinctive and I refuse to fight it.

Offline Junior88

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Captain Insano Shows No Mercy !
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2009, 06:57 PM »
Used a shappell 3000 for a decade or so. It held up very well, but was not the easiest thing to put up and down. Especially in the wind. I now own a fish trap voyager which is a flipover stlye and is much more user friendly. The main thing to consider is portability. Will it fit in my vehicle? Can I lift it in and out of my truck myself? Etc. Good luck with choice. I hoped I helped some.

Offline summit-viper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2009, 07:15 PM »
go with the shappell

Offline erikphillips

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2009, 07:20 PM »
i have the shapel 4000, and it does its job. the only problem i have had has been trying to keep the ceiling poles in it while transporting in a truck or storing it. the pop down skis are what sold me with the shapel, just dont lose the pins and your good to go.

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2009, 07:26 PM »
i have the shapel 4000, and it does its job. the only problem i have had has been trying to keep the ceiling poles in it while transporting in a truck or storing it. the pop down skis are what sold me with the shapel, just dont lose the pins and your good to go.

I have the dx 4000 and i agree the poles suck, they should have put bungee between the poles and it would make it way easier

Offline nypike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ALL THROUGH THE ICE!!!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2009, 07:27 PM »
pins are easily replaced for a quarter at the hardware store, dont pull it with a machine with those darn skis down or they will get mangled. but yes shappell is good, dont know alot about clams, I have had nothing but shappells and they are durable and worth what they cost..
If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 36 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by, you might live in northern New York

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/camofish/IceShantyStuff/walleye22013_zpsbe2b0c13.png

Offline erikphillips

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2009, 11:33 PM »
pins are easily replaced for a quarter at the hardware store, dont pull it with a machine with those darn skis down or they will get mangled. but yes shappell is good, dont know alot about clams, I have had nothing but shappells and they are durable and worth what they cost..

Getting the pins is not an issue. getting the pins at 4:30am is a wholenother issue, which i ran into last weekend.  :o

Offline db1561

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My weekend home!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2009, 08:54 AM »
Does anyone have either of these pop up tents? Was wondering how you like them, where to get them and which is better? Thanks BP    clam hub 2man or Shappell 5000 ?

I personally prefer the flip over design..It adapts better to all fishing conditions..windy...su nny...you can be out in the open or use it as a wind breaker..Or close it up and sight fish. They are not as limited as the tent style or square shanty's.  Plus they pack up a whole lot easier IMHO...  just .02 worth.

Offline robertjp1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2009, 10:14 PM »
Anyone here using the Clam 2 man hub?    I heard there are problems with the Shappell 5000

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2009, 10:39 AM »
Those hub tents are nothing more than hunting blinds, why reinvent the wheel

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2009, 04:58 PM »
I've had the shappell 5000 for 3 weeks now and just got around using it for the first time yesterday.  reason being is because when i first went to set it up down in my basement  i did not follow step by step intsructions and did not inspect the hubs and i ended up breaking a couple rods. I believe this pertains to all hub style shelters, make sure that the hub covers are secured tightly against the hub itself so that there is no play. If the covers on the hub are not secured tightly against the hub the rods can come out of their pivoting point and cause it to bind up and break. Other than that i like my 5000, great customer service too.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.