Author Topic: Plenty of ice!!  (Read 1332 times)

Offline Lcabait

• IceShanty Rookie
Plenty of ice!!
« on: Mar 18, 2019, 07:00 AM »
Hit the pond with running for flags yesterday. We had 30” of ice!! I couldn’t believe it,caught some nice bass and slimedarts. Good day overall.

Offline bikrsrule

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Plenty of ice!!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 18, 2019, 07:02 AM »
Funny how some people react when you get 1 or 2 warms days. I told someone I was going ice fishing and they said, OMG the ice is melting dont go.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 18, 2019, 09:44 AM »
It'll be a miracle if we are fishing any managed lake in the state on April 1st.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 18, 2019, 11:38 AM »
I fished a pond on Sat in Northeast Mass, and that pond's ice went south REAL FAST.
Luckily I have a place to stay when I head up to the big lake this coming weekend.

It's really tough when we get into these "in-between" times of year, when we have to segue from winter to spring and again from fall to winter.
We're (just the anglers) waiting for either the ice to melt or the ice to form in order to get out and fish.

We're not crazy, fanatical or loony but rather we're dedicated, acknowledged and tough!

I can't wait to get out and kayak, but since winter is completely done yet, neither am I.....
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 18, 2019, 11:43 AM »
Funny how some people react when you get 1 or 2 warms days. I told someone I was going ice fishing and they said, OMG the ice is melting dont go.

Agree'd. I've seen the mass exit on Newfound. I like it but it leaves the boat launch a mess. Hoping the access holds up for the next few weeks so we can use it to remove our houses otherwise there is still a sh!t ton of ice on the lake.

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 18, 2019, 11:50 AM »
i headed 1 hr north from So. NH just to be super safe & try a new lake.....holy cow there's still so much ice up there!  i tried measuring how thick with my jiffy scoop and it was thicker than the length of the scoop.  i would guess 20+" easy.  going to take forever to thaw.

also, there's a red shack blown over on Weare Res in Weare, NH.

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 18, 2019, 12:07 PM »
IMO there's still a long way to go. Alot of fishing left, if you are willing to find it.
There's usually no in-between waiting period for me at all. The very ladt day off the ice, I'm open water fishing the next day somewhere, usually the rivers.
 I love it, there's never any downtime. My wife  on the other hand... is not a fan
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline Troutsniffer76

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 18, 2019, 12:29 PM »
Agree'd. I've seen the mass exit on Newfound. I like it but it leaves the boat launch a mess. Hoping the access holds up for the next few weeks so we can use it to remove our houses otherwise there is still a sh!t ton of ice on the lake.

The Alton bay exodus happened already too. I went up this weekend (I will admit to remove my hut) to find I was one of the very last still out on the ice. Fished all day, saw one other person despite there still being 20" of ice. Where'd everyone go?

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 18, 2019, 01:40 PM »
The Alton bay exodus happened already too. I went up this weekend (I will admit to remove my hut) to find I was one of the very last still out on the ice. Fished all day, saw one other person despite there still being 20" of ice. Where'd everyone go?

It’s called “gittin’ off while the gittin’s good”

Offline Altonbayicefishingfool

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 18, 2019, 05:16 PM »

I was out there! There were 9 shacks including mine up near Echo point!!
Life is good!

Offline merk42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 19, 2019, 11:35 AM »
We lost 10 inches over the warm-up. From 37 to 27 ::) Still some fishing to do... Tomorrow Wed.. looks nice.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 19, 2019, 12:57 PM »
I was on 18" Sunday but it was super sketchy even while being that thick... one hard whack with the spud would send it 10"s in. Be careful folks, it's been an epic season, hate to see it end badly...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 19, 2019, 01:17 PM »
Well, it started with me falling through the ice, maybe I should close the season the same way?
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.