Author Topic: Eskimo Auger- Seized Engine?  (Read 5182 times)

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Eskimo Auger- Seized Engine?
« on: Feb 24, 2019, 02:54 PM »
In the beginning of the year I filled my auger up with gas. Premixed the tank 50:1 like I always do. I’ve drilled dozens of holes with no issues. Derby weekend was the last time I used it, and I used it to drill about 20 consecutive holes. Yesterday (with the same tank of gas) I drilled about 8 holes when I noticed the auger was bogging and running out of power. I noticed it was really hot so I turned it off. I waited for it to cool down and went to give it a pull and the pull cord was stuck like the engine was seized. Pretty bummed because it’s brand new in its 3rd season. Is it worth paying to fix? Anyone ever unseize an auger? Not sure what I did wrong
Tight Lines!

Offline PIKE426

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Eskimo Auger- Seized Engine?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24, 2019, 03:20 PM »
Take the spark plug out see if will pull then, might be vaper locked

Offline Wetlines

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2019, 04:29 PM »
The basics of any engine are fuel, air, and spark.  I would suggest changing the plug, changing the fuel, and checking the air filter. All are cheap to do.  If you determine that the engine is indeed ceased, I would bring it to a local sma!I engine repair shop for their advice.  Best of luck!

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2019, 05:17 PM »
Take the plug out and dump some oil down into the cylinder. Wait a minute and pull the cord with the plug out SLOWLY and see if the piston moves. If it doesnt you are seized.

Offline dunphy11

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2019, 06:38 AM »
50:1 sounds awful lean but is probably recommended.  I never found 40:1 to be a problem and feel more oil will never hurt anything, I always drift to the more oil than less. 

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2019, 07:04 AM »
Oil ratio is a product of the type of oil being used, some oils Can be used at 100:1,,the engine doesn't know the differance.. in any engine, the spatk plug controls the combustion chamber temperature  ,right now none  that matters,  if I were to.make an educated guess, I'm betting there is,something restricting the main jet, thus causing the lean condition that overheated and sized your engine ,the fact that you have been using this tank of gas, leads me to this conclusion, remove the spark plug and examine it it will tell a story. .
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 2019, 07:40 AM »
that makes sense, thanks everyone! will let you know what I find
Tight Lines!

Offline burgerunh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 25, 2019, 08:33 AM »
If it is seized you’re best bet will be to sell the good parts on Ebay and buy another auger.   It’s probably not economical to rebuild it

Offline Lcabait

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 28, 2019, 06:50 PM »
Pull the plug and dump marvel mystery oil in and let set over night then pull over without plug in.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #9 on: Feb 28, 2019, 06:59 PM »
Could do that but if its a hot seize the cylinder will have melted aluminum from the piston on it.if its seized there is damage done for sure.id pull the head off and take a look.

Offline steveep

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 01, 2019, 12:29 PM »
Not sure if you figured out if engine is seized yet, but happened to see a craigslist ad (Rochester NH) for an Eskimo power head only...
https://nh.craigslist.org/spo/d/rochester-eskimo-ice-fishing-drill/6821033488.html

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 04, 2019, 08:11 AM »
Steveep: I saw this as well, thanks for the heads up.

Pulled the plug, still can't pull the cord. Going to buy some Marvel Mystery Oil and give that a shot..... can I buy that most anywhere?

Anyone think its worth calling Eskimo?
Tight Lines!

Offline bikrsrule

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 04, 2019, 09:04 AM »
Yes you can buy marvel just about anywhere, calling eskimo wouldnt hurt, They may suggest you send them the motor..

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #13 on: Mar 04, 2019, 09:25 AM »
2 stroke oil works too.if the engine unseizes it still wont be reliable.something not good happened.i work on 2 stroke 4stroke small engines daily.ring maybe broke or a piece of piston skirt jammed in the block or crankshaft.piston welded to the cylinder.ive brought cold seized engines back to life a few times.not many hot engine sieze ups tho.good luck.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 04, 2019, 01:47 PM »
If I had a small two stroke heat seize I'd walk away from it. By the time you figure your time, a piston and rings, a cylinder or having it sleeved, gaskets. and then your still going to need to find out why it went lean and locked up in the 1st place... Likely not worth the effort, especially with electric augers and drills with big power driving the prices of new or nice used gassers way down.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 04, 2019, 02:51 PM »
I want to see what Eskimo says, then will most likely be in the market for a new auger. It does seem like a lot less could go wrong with Battery or Propane and a lot less work. I want to see if Eskimo will give me some kind of trade in for a propane powerhead.... Wishful thinking?
Tight Lines!

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 04, 2019, 04:20 PM »
Very wishful thinking !

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #17 on: Mar 04, 2019, 04:22 PM »
I want to see what Eskimo says, then will most likely be in the market for a new auger. It does seem like a lot less could go wrong with Battery or Propane and a lot less work. I want to see if Eskimo will give me some kind of trade in for a propane powerhead.... Wishful thinking?
Personally, I wouldn't go with propane, but there are plenty of other threads on that. This commercial from 2016 says Eskimo has a 5-year warranty on power augers. You should be covered under this warranty.

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Mar 06, 2019, 09:58 AM »
Eskimo first stated I was out of warranty, but then called me back saying as of April 1st 2016 they changed to a 5 year warranty meaning I am actually covered (unless they determine user error) So that's good. What a difference a couple months makes  :bow:
Tight Lines!

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Mar 06, 2019, 10:11 AM »
Good news
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Mar 06, 2019, 11:01 AM »
but then called me back saying as of April 1st 2016 they changed to a 5 year warranty meaning I am actually covered (unless they determine user error) So that's good.
I'd say Ardisam or any outfit (these days) that will call you back with that kind of news is pretty classy!  :clap:

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 06, 2019, 11:19 AM »
I'd say Ardisam or any outfit (these days) that will call you back with that kind of news is pretty classy!  :clap:
aint that the truth.. hard to get a call back even BEFORE the sale...Hopefuly it works out.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Mar 06, 2019, 12:27 PM »
I did email them instead of call in the beginning (took 3 days for a response) but I can expect that to be slow I guess. I ended up calling and for the most part they were really helpful, definitely tried their best to offer me different solutions. Not sure if any of you go to W.H Sports in Concord but I buy bait from Wayne often and it turns out he's also an authorized eskimo repair shop. 
Tight Lines!

Offline bikrsrule

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Mar 06, 2019, 03:18 PM »
I was at wayne's buying bait on Friday and he was working on a eskimo when I was there.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Mar 06, 2019, 04:26 PM »
I just sold my gasser, I never got into the propane besides demoing one for a season, I found all the issues everyone else did til they did the “ upgrades” yeah no thanks, for that money it should work, they will be old news to extinct in recent times anyway just like the gas. I was waiting for battery to get to the point of solid and dependable and it’s here. Strikemaster blows the pants off a Ion x I’ll clue ya. It’s the route I veered towards and good thing
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Mar 06, 2019, 05:05 PM »
Eskimo first stated I was out of warranty, but then called me back saying as of April 1st 2016 they changed to a 5 year warranty meaning I am actually covered (unless they determine user error) So that's good. What a difference a couple months makes  :bow:
WOW, I figured they would blow you off, that is great news !

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #26 on: Mar 06, 2019, 05:12 PM »
Great news!! better scenario than dumping oil down a cylinder on a blown motor and hoping it runs.

Offline green shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Mar 06, 2019, 09:38 PM »
I just sold my gasser, I never got into the propane besides demoing one for a season, I found all the issues everyone else did til they did the “ upgrades” yeah no thanks, for that money it should work, they will be old news to extinct in recent times anyway just like the gas. I was waiting for battery to get to the point of solid and dependable and it’s here. Strikemaster blows the pants off a Ion x I’ll clue ya. It’s the route I veered towards and good thing

What size auger did you go with?

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Mar 07, 2019, 05:14 AM »
Truth be told I don’t have it yet, my post may have sounded like I did?  but have had both the new Ion and strike on every trip I’ve been on this year. Both 10”. Both awesome too! The strike cuts 2 holes to 1 over the Ion no problem. My local small business shop sold out of all of them. I’m waiting to buy off them. I can’t drill holes this season so it’s not a problem
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Mar 07, 2019, 05:36 AM »
Truth be told I don’t have it yet, my post may have sounded like I did?  but have had both the new Ion and strike on every trip I’ve been on this year. Both 10”. Both awesome too! The strike cuts 2 holes to 1 over the Ion no problem. My local small business shop sold out of all of them. I’m waiting to buy off them. I can’t drill holes this season so it’s not a problem

Just wondering Frank which ION model it was?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.