Author Topic: Newfound Circus Season 2019  (Read 63310 times)

Offline DRAGIN

• IceShanty Rookie
  • HERE FISHY. FISHY
Re: Newfound Circus Season 2019
« Reply #330 on: Mar 11, 2019, 04:30 PM »
Made it out Friday afternoon. Got set up and started fishing around 3:30. Trout in the camera right from the start, but no takers. Boom Stick walked out and joined me. He stayed till around 10:30 then headed home. I fished till 01:00 with no takers and decided to crash. Up at four and fishing by 04:30. Couple of bounces on the spring line and got an answer. Worked at it for about 20 minutes. Finially  set the hook. Up it came only to be a ten inch Cusk. He went back down the hole to fight another day.

Nothing else until around 08:00 when two Lakers started circle. Boom Stick was back around 09:00 and we watched them clean up chum, but not touching the jigs. They left and nothing until 15:00 then the bigger one came back and slammed my jig. Got her in the house. Fair Laker at 25 inches and headed for the smoker. The smaller one must have been lonely and took the smelt on my tip up. Again into the house. Only 16 inches, cut the hook and back in the lake. No dice, too much damage won't go down. That one too headed for the smoker.
you really need to do something about

Ate dinner and decided to pack it in rather than deal with the storm. And here we go Jiggin; Getting ready to leave and a woman comes up and says her boy friend's truck is stuck and can I help. He was trying to drive between shore and Cliff Island, why I don't know. His buddy and I where able to rock him enough and he backed out and went back to launch.

Got back to the parking area and started to load, when Laker Taker came in. We had a good visit and then headed for home.

All and all a get weekend at the circus. Chatting with Jiggin and listening to goings on over the radio. Lady bug; you really need to do something about your gas problems :o

Tight lines and be safe everyone

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #331 on: Mar 11, 2019, 06:31 PM »
Hey, Capt.
Who's the happy guy in the pic?  ;)

My favorite Coozie just got crushed in the can crusher by Salm603 (aka Bamb308)

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #332 on: Mar 12, 2019, 07:07 AM »
My favorite Coozie just got crushed in the can crusher by Salm603 (aka Bamb308)
Thanks for the clarification, Denny. I suspected that was an option on the ID, but was going to try to find a bible to rule out another?
I do have a "Coozie" collection if you need a replacement?
Let me know.....

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #333 on: Mar 12, 2019, 07:09 AM »
Thanks for the clarification, Denny. I suspected that was an option on the ID, but was going to try to find a bible to rule out another?
I do have a "Coozie" collection if you need a replacement?
Let me know.....

Thanks CD Eddie Spaghetti found it and fixed it.

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #334 on: Mar 12, 2019, 07:11 AM »
Thanks CD Eddie Spaghetti found it and fixed it.
That's a handy man, right there.  ;)

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #335 on: Mar 12, 2019, 02:24 PM »
Pulled our house off the lake this morning. With the warmup and rain coming we figured now was a good time. I know the die hards will be out til the last hurrah but we ain't diehards... ;D
Looks like we have a buyer for the house so this will be the last of our "hardside" adventures...too much work for us senior citizens anyway what with moving it worrying about weather and such. We still have a portable and all the equipment so not done ice fishing just yet!
May have the Argo up for sale too...we'll see. Call it "senior downsizing"  :o
We seem to enjoy the salmon, rainbow, laker season more anyway so perhaps a more suitable trolling boat will be in our future.
Good luck to all the Circus troupe! See ya around! Mowbizz and Shobizz signing off for the 2019 season!

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #336 on: Mar 12, 2019, 05:31 PM »
Pulled our house off the lake this morning. With the warmup and rain coming we figured now was a good time. I know the die hards will be out til the last hurrah but we ain't diehards... ;D
Looks like we have a buyer for the house so this will be the last of our "hardside" adventures...too much work for us senior citizens anyway what with moving it worrying about weather and such. We still have a portable and all the equipment so not done ice fishing just yet!
We seem to enjoy the salmon, rainbow, laker season more anyway so perhaps a more suitable trolling boat will be in our future.
Good luck to all the Circus troupe! See ya around! Mowbizz and Shobizz signing off for the 2019 season!
Say it ain't so.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline Dipstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ( jigging Joe)
« Reply #337 on: Mar 12, 2019, 05:54 PM »
I will be headed there in the morning with my friend Brendan, I bet he will have an IS/newfound handle by the end of the day. Tune in to 5.5 to see how these shenanigans play out! Mowbizz, was hoping to meet you one of these days. Always another year.

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #338 on: Mar 12, 2019, 06:26 PM »

Mowbizz hardsides are a lot of work for us seniors. Went to a popup quite a few years ago I like to be mobile I never know where I will go usually comes down to a a coin flip. Good luck on all your future endeavors hardwater or softwater.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #339 on: Mar 12, 2019, 09:35 PM »
Thanks guys...it isn’t without a smidgeon if regret that we’re calling it quits on maintaining a hardside. We gave it a try for a few seasons and finally came to the realization that feeling beat up and having to relax for a couple days after a day on the ice wasn’t worth the effort.
Sometimes simpler is better. We got to experience it on our terms and made a decision. Kudos to the younger bucks that can put in all the work and still enjoy it! I have to give my wife a lot of credit because I wouldn’t have been able to do it alone. Hell, just climbing in and out of the Argo was even causing aches and pains I wouldn’t have otherwise. Tough getting old.  :'(

Offline merk42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #340 on: Mar 13, 2019, 08:10 AM »
I was getting to that point with the 800 lb home made shanty on 4X6 hemlock skids... it was a bear to move and get on and off trailers etc... then we upgraded to the Aluminum shanty. Well let me tell you it was like night and day... so easy to move and load. we love it... 300 lbs full of our crap.. we can pucrap by hand in the right conditions. Tow it with just about anything... Its an expensive alternative, but will keep this old guy in a hardside for many years to come... it has solar roof panels, we burned half the propane and its not even insulated, just doesnt need it. its great. Highly recommend one. Thanks to Northern Fabrication Solutions, the builder of it... in off season it doubles as my wife's garden outhouse. Put a camp throne over the hole and she is all set.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #341 on: Mar 13, 2019, 09:22 AM »
I was getting to that point with the 800 lb home made shanty on 4X6 hemlock skids... it was a bear to move and get on and off trailers etc... then we upgraded to the Aluminum shanty. Well let me tell you it was like night and day... so easy to move and load. we love it... 300 lbs full of our crap.. we can pucrap by hand in the right conditions. Tow it with just about anything... Its an expensive alternative, but will keep this old guy in a hardside for many years to come... it has solar roof panels, we burned half the propane and its not even insulated, just doesnt need it. its great. Highly recommend one. Thanks to Northern Fabrication Solutions, the builder of it... in off season it doubles as my wife's garden outhouse. Put a camp throne over the hole and she is all set.
I hear that! That’s why we had a 6x10 Mission aluminum! Not as nice a those NFS ones but very light and easy to move for sure. I can’t inagine having one of those “hotels” made entirely of wood...that’s a younger mans game!

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #342 on: Mar 13, 2019, 06:28 PM »
Sorry to hear Mowbizz. Best to you and Shobizz.
You’ll be missed.
Best regards.

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #343 on: Mar 13, 2019, 06:54 PM »
Thanks guys...it isn’t without a smidgeon if regret that we’re calling it quits on maintaining a hardside. We gave it a try for a few seasons and finally came to the realization that feeling beat up and having to relax for a couple days after a day on the ice wasn’t worth the effort.
Sometimes simpler is better. We got to experience it on our terms and made a decision. Kudos to the younger bucks that can put in all the work and still enjoy it! I have to give my wife a lot of credit because I wouldn’t have been able to do it alone. Hell, just climbing in and out of the Argo was even causing aches and pains I wouldn’t have otherwise. Tough getting old.  :'(

Come on Mowbizz these are our "Golden Years". Two days in a row are tough for me. I really wonder sometimes why I do it.

Offline tippin2back

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • HOUSE ON THE LAKE WITH NO TAXES!
« Reply #344 on: Mar 13, 2019, 07:22 PM »
Mobizz, it’s tough for us “young bucks” too, but it’s even tougher to step back and look at the big picture, and make your type of decision.....keep us posted, and good luck on your new adventure !!!!
ICE TO THE TOP PLEASE!!!.....

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #345 on: Mar 13, 2019, 10:34 PM »
Sorry to hear Mowbizz. Best to you and Shobizz.
You’ll be missed.
Best regards.

Thank you Jiggin! It has been an honor being part of the Newfound Circus!
I’m happy that we were able to “pay it forward” a few times out there!
Thanks to you and your generousity!

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #346 on: Mar 13, 2019, 10:39 PM »
Come on Mowbizz these are our "Golden Years". Two days in a row are tough for me. I really wonder sometimes why I do it.

That feeling exactly. I think the kicker was when I spent the Friday night of the derby weekend out in my shack, then the whole next day fishing too.
Bad decision as I stayed up all night keeping my poor dog from shivering on the cold floor. Long night for sure.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #347 on: Mar 13, 2019, 10:41 PM »
Mobizz, it’s tough for us “young bucks” too, but it’s even tougher to step back and look at the big picture, and make your type of decision.....keep us posted, and good luck on your new adventure !!!!
Thank you Tippin...glad to have met you and thanks for the laughs!

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #348 on: Mar 14, 2019, 06:25 AM »
That feeling exactly. I think the kicker was when I spent the Friday night of the derby weekend out in my shack, then the whole next day fishing too.
Bad decision as I stayed up all night keeping my poor dog from shivering on the cold floor. Long night for sure.
Don't judge it by the derby, it took some thing from all of us that fished it.
I'm going to miss your daily posts,by next fall you'll be chomping at the bit..
 I'm on vacation next week, going to give it my all 3/ 30 will be my last outing, time to get the boat ready for haddock opener and a summer of chasing Stripers. .and besides that the boss lady has a heck of a list...ouch!

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #349 on: Mar 14, 2019, 06:27 AM »
and besides that the boss lady has a heck of a list...ouch!

My ol lady has one of those too. Its the strangest thing, no matter how many things i seem to knock off the list never gets any shorter.
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #350 on: Mar 14, 2019, 06:45 AM »
My ol lady has one of those too. Its the strangest thing, no matter how many things i seem to knock off the list never gets any shorter.
And it will only grow as the weather gets warmer.

Offline Chefmike64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #351 on: Mar 14, 2019, 06:36 PM »
Heading to Wellington in the morning to try to get a few fish. Any one care to join I'm on foot
Here fishy fishy

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #352 on: Mar 14, 2019, 06:50 PM »

I don't think I would have been able to move after that. Maybe next year us older guys can get together for an "AARP Trip".  ;D

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #353 on: Mar 14, 2019, 07:34 PM »
I don't think I would have been able to move after that. Maybe next year us older guys can get together for an "AARP Trip".  ;D

;D ;D ;D

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #354 on: Mar 15, 2019, 07:45 PM »
3/15/2019

Met Chiefmike going out to the house this morning. Good to meet you man. Getting the hang of catching lakers!

Rained for an hour or so this morning at times heavily.

Very warm day and no wind to a slight warm breeze. Didn’t bother running any propane heat.

Psycho visited for a while and they are sleeping out tonight.

Unfortunately work interrupted fishing most of the day but managed to pull up 3 lakers.

Snow melting and getting slushy out on the ice by the end of the day.

Laker Taker came out for a few hours. Caught 2 lakers before heading in.

Offline Chefmike64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #355 on: Mar 15, 2019, 07:50 PM »
Nice meeting you as well jiggin. I caught two before I left. I hunkered in my vehicle for the 30 minutes or so of the heaviest rain. Yeah it definitely slushy out there. Tough walking now too. Thanks for the use of the radio by the way. One of them that I caught bent the crap out of my hooked on one of the spoons I was using too.
Here fishy fishy

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #356 on: Mar 17, 2019, 05:51 AM »
3/16/2019

Travel across the lake was slushy. Snow but water underneath. Guys using wheelers said as long as you stay in your previous tracks, travel wasn’t too bad.

Only fished a half day, very slow and only saw 1 Laker that just swam by.

Boat launch onto the lake is getting weaker (mostly due to truck traffic imo). Hoping to be able to use it to remove houses when time comes.

Came home and dug my “bobhouse” trailer out of the snow bank. Get it ready for end of season which is quickly approaching.

Back at it today.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #357 on: Mar 17, 2019, 07:25 PM »
3/17/2019

Happy St. Patty’s Day!

A bit colder this morning which stiffened up the snow/ice.
Below freezing w the wind chill. Sun was warm though.

It seems I’ve trained the lakers to wait for me to put more chum down. They hung around waiting but I held out. Managed to catch 2 lakers. One was while I was on Grandpad (face time) with my mother. She got to see me yank one up all the way from Arizona. Pretty cool.

CH joined me today and lost one.

Deez Nutz.

Face timing w my mom.

“Tippin’s” Dog Lucy

Offline Chefmike64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #358 on: Mar 22, 2019, 07:43 AM »
Went to check out Wellington today and the boat ramp is starting to get pretty sketchy. Lots of broken ice. Stepped through a few times. Just wanted to give a heads up
Here fishy fishy

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #359 on: Mar 22, 2019, 10:04 AM »
Jiggin can give us all rides out in the Argo
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.