Author Topic: Any fish in Goose Lake?  (Read 5272 times)

Offline U.P. Fisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
Any fish in Goose Lake?
« on: Dec 06, 2012, 02:55 PM »
Has anyone ever ice fished Goose Lake in the Marquette area?  What kind of fish are in there and is the fishing any good?
Tight lines!

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
Re: Any fish in Goose Lake?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2012, 08:15 PM »
It's the Dead Sea... Has a lot of springs too.. Usually takes a while for it to completely freeze over safe.  If you're ever considering goose lake, just go to gwinn instead... More productive bodies of water... Just my .2

Offline big bobber

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • cant fish during the day...learn to fish at night
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2012, 03:18 PM »
icefisher 40...goose lake used to have huge perch and nice wallys years ago..when the tailing basin at the mine overflowed it went down the goose lake inlet and ruined the whole lake...there may be fish there...but wouldnt waste my time as it is a crap lake!like the above comment...stay out in gwinn!
i just know they will bite if i stay another hour.

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2012, 06:24 PM »
I've heard a ton of stories about "Back in the day.", but recent consensus is that it isn't very good. It's a shame..

Offline DieHardIcer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2012, 08:09 AM »
 I now a guy that works at the mine and was checking the outlet creek this past spring at night for walleye and there were quite a few every night in there. I believe him as he is a pretty straight shooter and hasn't bullcrapted me yet. I personally haven't fished it in years I have a few wally lame I rather hit. Access can be a pain at goose lake too.

Offline UPHAWKEYE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2012, 09:45 AM »
DNR put over 25,000 walleye in it last year.  Should be better in a few more years.

Offline wilsonmi

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2012, 07:39 AM »
It's actually one of the first to freeze, but is a long walk, especially in the snow and back up the big hill.  Unless you want to drive the long route in from the other side.  Used to be good several years ago for perch, walleye and pike, but might be on a down cycle now. Just check the consumption advisory due to selenium concentrations.

Offline big bobber

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • cant fish during the day...learn to fish at night
« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2012, 09:57 AM »
25,000???really.i know we used to go there and camp at the wally opener abou 10-15 yrs ago and ALL the fish had worms in the bellyfat...nothin deep frying wont kill!
i just know they will bite if i stay another hour.

Offline gofish22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 15, 2012, 01:04 PM »
Got tempted into it last year and made the trip out just to see what would happen. Left with nothing. Some reliable people I talk to swear there are sizeable fish in there still, they are just hard to find. I will most likely avoid it this year.

Offline PerchPopper50

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2012, 09:39 PM »
There are perch and eyes in the lake and some dandy bluegills, but for the amount of work that you have to put in for not a lot of fishy reward, it is not worth it at all. Head to Gwinn and hop around until you find a lake you like, there are a ton to pick from down there.
Lift,pause, hold....jiggle jiggle jiggle

Offline jamiechipper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 13, 2022, 11:59 AM »
Any new info on this lake over the past couple years?  Thanks!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.