The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Help! I broke my choke lever on 2000 Strike Master  (Read 1513 times)

Offline X-Rap

• IceShanty Rookie
Help! I broke my choke lever on 2000 Strike Master
« on: Jan 17, 2008, 10:41 PM »
I emailed the company and they say it takes a new fuel tank. The cost with shipping is almost $50.00 bucks. Does anyone know a place that sells parts cheaper online or has an easier fix then replaceing the whole tank. Thanks in advance and I hope somebody has had a simpler fix.

Offline gillmanwi

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Help! I broke my choke lever on 2000 Strike Master
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2008, 10:37 PM »
i would check at some local small engine shops they may know how to repair it or something my .02

Offline Jack Ryan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2008, 02:50 AM »
Take some pics and show me what it looks like.

Is it steel or plastic?
"Be the one you want to catch"

Offline mech12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2008, 11:12 AM »
  this fuel tank is a tecumseh part.  the plastic choke lever is molded into the plastic tank. no real way around it.  tecumseh knows its a crapty design but thats how companies make the money.

Offline Jack Ryan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2008, 11:38 PM »
Did you try glue yet?

I've also "welded" some plastic stuff with a soldering iron before and got it good enough to avoid buying something new.
"Be the one you want to catch"

Offline MaineFishah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 03, 2008, 07:33 AM »
Had the same thing happen on my mag2000 years ago. I used a pair of needle nose pliers or a screwdriver to move the choke when needed. Instead of spending the $50 on the tank for something that was just going to break again, I ended up buying a jiffy and kept the mag2000 as a spare.

Offline FishwithBob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2011, 07:40 PM »
How to fix a Strikemaster ice auger plastic choke lever. Takes about 1/2 hour. You need to be a little handy to do this.
First remove the gas tank and gas line. Either drain the tank or place a plug on the gas line exit on the tank so you can work on it. Remember, you are working on a gas tank with gas near by so be careful with your tools - no sparks! You can usually use the choke lever that broke. Many are a red plastic lever and they break off easy if you are not careful, or make a new one out of a piece of metal. All you would do is cut and bend a small piece of metal to make the choke lever. You will need to remove any red plastic around the D shaped peg that remains sticking out of the gas tank itself. Many of the pegs are blue in color and D shaped. I used a dremel tool with a small grinding bit to remove the remainder of the red plastic that was attached to it when the lever broke off. If there is a fiber washer remove it also. Be careful not to damage the D shaped peg that comes out of the tank. If you have the choke lever that broke off you likely can reuse it. Here's how. Remove the small burr on the side of it (if it has one) making it flat on the side that will lay against the gas tank. Drill a hole in the center of the choke lever close to where it broke off, use a very small drill bit. Smaller than the D shaped peg that remains in the gas tank. I used the same dremel tool to make the D shape in the plastic. A very small drill bit would also work. Keep in mind you are carving in the D shape. Take your time and be careful not to make it to big as you want a snug fit. After you have it fitted place a very small screw or bolt with a very small washer on it in the center of the D shaped peg that the lever is now secured to. You want a very small screw or bolt that is snug but not one that will damage the D shaped peg. The peg was hollow in the center of the one I worked on, I just had to clean it out with a small pick and put a small screw in it with a small washer to make sure the choke lever would stay on. Now your ready to reinstall the gas tank and your good to go fishing.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.