Author Topic: Your Favorite Fluorocarbon  (Read 3146 times)

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
Your Favorite Fluorocarbon
« on: Oct 08, 2007, 06:11 PM »
There is allot out there for fluorocarbon leader material right now. I have been using Seaguar, but I would like some opinions on other brands. Has anyone fished with P-Line, Triple Fish, Gamma, or anything else? The prospect of spending a ton of money and time to test all of it out seems ridiculous with you guys around! Come on salt water guys, I know you use this stuff! ;)

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Re: Your Favorite Florocarbon
« Reply #1 on: Oct 09, 2007, 04:24 PM »
I love P-line, very tuff line, yet sensative. works great. You dont need to buy the ice version either you can go with the open water brands and get the same effect for less money

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 09, 2007, 04:33 PM »
I loved P-line until I was told by a rep that it is illegal to make flourocarbon line in the United States becuase of the pollution created when making any flourocarbon!  Back to Maxima or Berkely XL for me!

Offline dabber-doo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dreaming about big gills and crappies !!!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 09, 2007, 04:46 PM »
I loved P-line until I was told by a rep that it is illegal to make flourocarbon line in the United States becuase of the pollution created when making any flourocarbon!  Back to Maxima or Berkely XL for me!
Wow I learn something new on this site every day.
I've was on the ice and fishing Nov. 23rd 2008 and don't plan on stopping tell spring breakup 2009 !!!!

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 09, 2007, 05:16 PM »
In the "any other" part of the question, I really like Malin Boa "no-kink" titanium shock leader. Ice Troll convinced me to try it. It's great for toothy critters. It is expensive, but it lasts. After the results I had with it last year, it's all I'll use on my tip-ups now. It outfished my fluorocarbon leader tip-ups. Here's a link to it--->  http://www.malinco.com/fishing/boa.html
Only place I've found that carries it is tackledirect.com
Ken                                          

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Oct 09, 2007, 09:37 PM »
In the "any other" part of the question, I really like Malin Boa "no-kink" titanium shock leader. Ice Troll convinced me to try it. It's great for toothy critters. It is expensive, but it lasts. After the results I had with it last year, it's all I'll use on my tip-ups now. It outfished my fluorocarbon leader tip-ups. Here's a link to it--->  http://www.malinco.com/fishing/boa.html
Only place I've found that carries it is tackledirect.com

Do you tie the stuff or crimp it? Boa looks like the ticket. I use Fluoro for walleyes, steel is not necessary. I am in the process of whipping up a batch of quick strike rigs, (if my hooks ever get here  ::)) and I was looking at Ande's new leader. Seaguar has never really impressed me and I am looking to change brands. I am planning on putting out some boa this winter for the walleyes, and seeing if they shy away from it.

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 10, 2007, 05:31 AM »
Do you tie the stuff or crimp it?

I tie it using the knot they suggest to use. I tie one end directly to a red octopus hook and the other end to a ball bearing swivel. I kept my leader length at about 3'. I used the 20 pound boa which has the thickness of about 6 pound fluoro.
Ken                                          

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
Re: Your Favorite Fluorocarbon
« Reply #7 on: Oct 10, 2007, 07:27 AM »
i use p-line, but that's bad news about it being illegal to make in the US

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: Your Favorite Fluorocarbon
« Reply #8 on: Oct 10, 2007, 04:11 PM »
I was wondering why all fluro was either made in Germany or Asia. That figures..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.