The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Lewis Creek  (Read 3116 times)

Offline fishermarsh

• IceShanty Rookie
Lewis Creek
« on: Feb 09, 2017, 12:23 PM »
Just wondering if anyone has ever ice fished on Lewis Creek???  The access a popular spot in the spring, summer and fall but I've never seen anyone fish it in the winter.  Anyone ever tried it there????

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Lewis Creek
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2017, 12:41 PM »
never tried, bet it is very shallow. auger may hit the bottom if not careful.

Offline Fish Farmer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2017, 03:25 PM »
Where exactly would you ice fish it? At the access?

I would expect water flow would make it dangerous to ice fish and there are only a few spots from Greenbush Rd toward the mouth that I would expect to be deep enough to hold fish.

I've open water fished it for steelhead mid winter during several thaws without much luck. I did catch some perch in one of the lower pools last spring while bass fishing.

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2017, 06:01 PM »
I've fished the open spots for steelhead and salmon in the winter, but as mentioned, the river is very shallow and the ice can be pretty sketchy.
May the fish be with you.

Randy

Offline cbice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2017, 06:09 PM »
I have ice fished the mouth a couple times in Porter Bay but never had any luck.  Dirty water.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2017, 06:28 PM »
that would be hawkins bay

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2017, 07:26 AM »
that would be hawkins bay

yes, that's the one. :)

The good news about ice fishing there would be that were you to fall through, the water probably won't be over your head.

Randy

Offline fishermarsh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2017, 07:54 AM »
Hawkins bay is pretty shallow until you get out past the island.  Lewis Creek is small, but from the access west until you hit the lake has plenty of water in the main channel, even when the lake is low.  4 or 5 feet maybe???  It also locks up pretty early in the season and there is pretty consistent ice there.  People walk, ski and skate there all the time.  I have seen holes drilled there before but never talked to anyone who has fished it in the winter.  I guess if they had a good day there they would have come back..........

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2017, 08:02 AM »
My family has a camp near there and you'd be hard pressed to find 5' of water in that stretch with the lake as low as it is. The channel used to be deeper, but the flow has not been what it once was. This fall the sandbar at the mouth became dry land and I was wading near it with a flyrod using streamers and bass bugs.

Very shallow.

Randy

Offline fishermarsh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 11, 2017, 10:38 AM »
Indeed, the mouth of the creek is extremely shallow, I've bottomed out my boat many times there getting to and from the access, but I'm talking about the creek itself.  I just went and checked at the access area and in the main channel there was about 5 1/2 feet of water.  I just may have to grab a few tip ups and see if there's anything swimming around in there.

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
« Reply #10 on: Feb 11, 2017, 12:03 PM »
This fall the sandbar at the mouth became dry land and I was wading near it with a flyrod using streamers and bass bugs.

Very shallow.
I couldn't believe that it got that low! Crazy dry weather last summer. Here's a pic that I snapped of the bridge on the south side after salmon fishing in early fall.

Perch bait- a small minnow that can have big results in the ice fishing game.  :icefish:
My Blog: https://jacobcrawford8.wixsite.com/pboutdooradventure

Offline cbice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 11, 2017, 12:14 PM »
Ooops my bad.  Yeah Hawkins bay.  I thought it would be a good late ice spot but it didn't end up that way. 

Offline LittleFishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 09, 2018, 08:54 AM »
Anyone fishing this spot this year? Is the ice safe...ish? If so can someone PM me how to access? where to park? I know where the access in the creek but Im not sure where any other access points may be. Benn searching the archives with no luck.
Load it, Drive it, Park it
Bait it, Jig it, Hook it
Catch it, Clean it, Cook it
Simply put just get out/ and do it

Offline Tirejockey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 09, 2018, 10:44 AM »
Went down there this morning, people had been skiing up the river and it looked like someone drilled holes also. If you want to fish the mouth you can park on the ice, just drive past the launch road down around the corner on the right you'll see where it's plowed out. I'm heading down in a few minutes to give it a try.
Fish like crazy!

Offline peteinvermont

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 09, 2018, 12:27 PM »
What would you target there?

Offline EyERipLip

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Above the Ice, under the influence
« Reply #15 on: Feb 10, 2018, 09:36 AM »
Lewis creek itself has a bit of everything. Large mouth mostly small mouth further up with the occasional steelhead in the mix. I’ve caught Browns bows bluegills perch rock bass all below the falls in n ferrisburgh. So there a lil of everything but the abundance of fish seems to usually be small mouth and rock bass

Offline vtcountrychamp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 13, 2018, 02:57 PM »
In the past when it freezes, off the point to the right is good salmon and laker fishing. As far as lewis creek, we duck hunted there and at the mouth the water is maybe ankle high. We had issues early season getting the boat through it. I also heard if you can get out to the island, it can be good fishing.

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
« Reply #17 on: Feb 14, 2018, 12:40 AM »
Lewis creek itself has a bit of everything. Large mouth mostly small mouth further up with the occasional steelhead in the mix. I’ve caught Browns bows bluegills perch rock bass all below the falls in n ferrisburgh. So there a lil of everything but the abundance of fish seems to usually be small mouth and rock bass

Glo bugs on tip-ups..hmmmmmm ;D :tipup:
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Offline EyERipLip

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Above the Ice, under the influence
« Reply #18 on: Feb 14, 2018, 07:00 AM »
Glo bugs on tip-ups..hmmmmmm ;D :tipup:
Now we’re talikng !!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.